Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fishem

Fishing!

I must agree with SK, well ok i am a little biased, but it IS a fantasy game and im sure in a society where titanium bars can be crafted some smart cookie can design a basic pully system. :(

Ok, my oppinion:

The thing is, in Runescape, for example, the food acts like our health potions. You eat it, and you get instant health back. The higher the fish you eat, the more health you get.

As you know by now, in EL food restores your health slowly, so just using fish for food sucks, because you can do other things (like leveling up alchemy) and make much mor emoney in the same amount of time, and with that money you can buy either food, or healing potions.

So, what would motivate someone to fish?

Thats why

A) it would have to be more like a combat skill then a sit and click one.

and

B) Fish could have some cool magical properties or something. Maybe they could be summoning regeants!! Imagine, in order to summon the super good unicorn or whatnot you have to catch the illusive rainbow trout or something!!!

I think you meant elusive not illusive. Anyway, the summoning will have different reagents. Fishing would be very useless and boring, as long as fishes are not really important.

yeah you got my english on that one, so does that mean no fishing?

hrmm,

What purpose could fish have in the game...

Well Fishing would be a good way to acumulate money, and maybe at lvl 30 you have a % of a chance to pull maybe like a Potion or some kind of leather boot or pants, maybe at lvl 50 you have a % of a chance to pull some kinda of sword out... Maybe Like Treasure?

Just Idea Skimming...

Lets see...you got potion potential (the game needs high lvl pots), Money, Baits, quests.

Oh, here's an idea. How about making bears and pumas and other critters hunt bunnies and stuff. Also, if they get hungry enough, they attack people too. However, to stop them, you have to feed them raw meat or fish.

Also, the food system is realistic, but how about nutrition. Add more food to the game, some good, some bad. Eating junk food fills you up, but you won't be healthy. If you don't eat food, or only eat junk food, your stats will decrease until you eat healthy. Eating foods with high sugar temporararily gives you more energy, then makes you tired. Protein makes you stronger. Calcium gives you strong bones. Also, like in morrowind, alcohol makes you stronger, but lowers coordination, will, instinct, and charm. Yes, it would be complicated, but it would give el a lot more depth.

Actually I thought of the "Bait/Bribe" idea of feeding animals food too but there could be so many ways to implement it. Another thought I have was feeding Wild animals to try to tame them or even feeding Tamed/Summoned Creatures in order to maintain their Loyalty and/or Health.

But as for the Fishing idea, I agree with Entropy that unless you can find more uses for fish, it'll get boring to have such a complex fishing system. Although I think that Fishing would be an interesting Addition, I also think you guys are over complicating it. If you reduce it to simply a cross between Harvesting and Battling, it'll work better.

I think that if you were just Sit down and click as though you were Harvesting and after a (very) short pause, it’ll show a little animation like you’re character is fighting against something hidden underwater. Then, depending on predetermined factures (such as bait, line, and rod) you'll reel in a Fish. All of this can go on in less then 3 seconds. Having the line brake would sure spice it up a little but hardly necessary. Instead, make it a simple question; will you catch the fish or will the fish get away? A simple skill to determine that chance and all you'll need is a Rod, Line and Bait. Have these three items and you can fish. After that, the worth of the fish can be based on the effort that it takes for this system to be implemented and the uses a fish may have in the game.

I mean, do you really have to fight and catch the fish like you would a Pokemon? 3 seconds is fine enough to get the fish yet still takes enough time to make it be not too easy (unlike the "wait a Second" between harvesting) to make it worth the time and make the fish worth it too.

While i actually agree with ent that there should be a practical benefit to fish in order to make it worthwhile, there are a lot of ingredients that are only there to make something or eat, or something basic like that. I'm trying to think up a reason to keep it myself, as i think the game needs more things to do. And Kami, i don't want another *click* you failed *click* fail *click* fail *click* succeed stat. I like the game, but as it is i find myself wandering back to another game because things have gotten too repititive and boring. I don't know, i'll try to come up with something new, because i think fishing is a great idea, and would help to break up the monotony.

Aye, but my idea is more like "Click once and the game'll fish for you for 5 seconds". As long as the Fishing takes it's time, there'll by no need for the 1 sec Pause and the fail rate is minimal. This is what I meant by makeing the benefit of fishing worth a little clicking but to make the fishing option limited in the end, such as limiting the amount of fishing per day and to even get just one fish is a extremely valuable catch! Kind of like overfishing a certain area will cause you not to get anymore bites.

Look at it this way. Just how much could you stand to fish in a single day anyway or even carry for that matter. What would you really do if you could sit there and catch 100 fish. You can't put them in storage, as that'll count as meat (of some sort). Most likely you'll end up either selling them or using them in a quest and you wouldn't likely use all 100, unless it's a God Quest. Now, say you can only catch 10 or 20 fish per day! Obviously those Fish need to be worth the effort right for you to take your time with them. But then once you've got them, that's all you need and any more then that you'd end up carrying them around or need to dispose of them.

I mean, I'm stuck on fact that it's like goes around killing Rabbits for their Meat! Of course you could use it but you'll be carrying them around for most of the time. Then, depending on how heavy they are, the number that you can carry will vary but I doubt they'll be heavier then 2 at most meaning you could carry 150 at one time and not being able to deposit them is like carrying around 150 meat! I mean, just how much fish do you need?

Fishing isn't very nessassary to the game but if Entropy was to decide to include it (and I do like the idea), it'll likely only be a "Frill"; Something like the Joker, as in way for players to pass the time without it being nessassary to the completion of the game (as if there was one) but not so complecated that more effort would go into programing it then players would get out of it.

do you think i should do a poll about wether fishing should be implemented as a harvesting-combat cross?

About the 5 second fish period, i think thats a good idea, how about the game keeps fishing for you until your line breaks or bait is stolen.

The thing is, I want things to be complicated. I know the newbs would just get confused if there were more things that had to be learned, but it would be worth it in the end. Personally, I'd like to be in control of the combat. I'd like more user interaction. The more things that are simplified into buttons, the less need there is for a player. I'd at least want to see what happened. How about if combat were just clicking on an enemy and then all of a sudden one of them died before you even knew they were fighting. It doesn't even feel like they even fought. That's the problem. It doesn't even feel like I'm doing anything when it comes to everything but fighting.

By the way ent, I'm not going to do any god quests. Remember, I am an opponent of the current god system.