Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

The Philosophy Of Game Development

So I like to think a lot... sue me :P

Anyway, there are basically 4 types of players in EL: Achievers, Explorers, Socializers and Killers. To make EL a great game, it's important to have a balance between the 4. This balance doesn't always mean equal numbers, but rather equal influence... a single Killer has a far greater influence than a single Achiever, so generally more Achievers than Killers are good.

Achievers are those players that like to level up and train. They're motivated to become the best in whatever. They say things like, "Woot! Level 56 oa!", "I can kill fluffies now!", "Only 567 more points to go until the next level", "What's the best way to level up in manu?". Soldus (god of harvesting :() is good example of an Achiever. So are most of the people on the top twenty list.

Explorers are those players that like to find out things about the game and the system. They do all sorts of experiments, and like to compile information and guides for everything. They say things like "Hey, do you know about the secret room in the IP tavern?", "You know you can cast Poison on yourself on non-PK maps, but you don't get any exp for it.", "It's a good idea to learn the Portals Room spell before getting Hellspawn." Fred_penner (the guy who created www.elrocks.com) is a good example of an Explorer, as well as the others who are busy developing things for the game.

Socializers are those players that like to talk about everything. First they start off talking about the game, then about the players, then about everything else in their lives. They say things like, "Hey, did you know that Ent and Roja are married?", "Oops, sorry, did I miss anything? I was busy talking...", "So what do you guys think about the Spice Girls?". Ember is a good example of a Socializer, as well as most of the people that post a lot in the Offtopic Forum.

Killers are those players that like to do things to other people - usually bad things. (Of course, there are some very rare people that like to do GOOD things for other people, but in general...) They just like to PK, steal, scam, block... they get kicks out of proving that they pwn others. They say things like "Haha! I can pwn your ass!", "Die die die!", "Sucks for you!", "Wanna take this to KF? I'll wipe you off the map". weasel_ninja, bradleybradley and others are good examples of Killers. (NeXt was the legend, though... :P ) I myself have a bit of a Killer mentality (except that I heal people unexpectedly, instead of killing them).

Anyway, that was just FYI. (For more info, see here) Now for the real thing - how this affects the features that are being developed in EL. Ideally, we would want to be able to cater to all 4 types of players (yes, even Killers serve a purpose - they provide challenges for the Achievers, force the Explorers to think up new ways of dealing with them, and prevent the Socializers from overrunning the population with mindless chatter).

Let me take the recent updates. Besides the grammar and spelling fixes (which would have only bothered the Explorers), the main things would be the failure rates, variable cave-in damage, and the PK-switch.

Generally, this will affect the Achievers the most. Adjusting failure rates and damage gives them a new challenge, although they would probably grumble about it at first. But at least, the process of levelling up isn't boring for them anymore. If it gets too boring or too easy to reach the highest levels, Achievers will leave the game. They need constant challenge, and the ability to PROVE that they're the best at whatever they do. It makes it harder to get those levels, and therefore, achieving those levels becomes a worthwhile thing to do. (On a side note, that Top Score board was one of the best ways of giving the Achievers some visible form of measuring their progress and challenging them.)

The PK-switch will affect those Achievers that train in combat, and Killers. Making it a mod command, rather than player-activated, means that it will primarily be a punishment at first, so Killers would be put off by it. But if this becomes a player-activated command, or if the Ants and certain players volunteer to be PK-able, it will attract combat-Achievers and Killers instead. It will have no effect on socializers, since it's largely voluntary, and of course, Explorers would only be interested in working out how to beat the system before moving on.

In short, this update is aimed at Achievers and Killers. The previous update, fur boots, was aimed at Explorers (didn't you guys have fun trying to figure out the recipe? ;)). To balance, the next update is aimed at Socializers (native language support in the client). After that, we're free to start another round of stuff.

But now we come to the question - which features are best to implement for a new balance of Achiever/Explorer/Socializer/Killer ratio? The Socializers would want updates for multi-channel support and guild-management commands. The Explorers would want more features (like a new magic system) and new maps to explore. The Achievers would probably like new quests with rewards (like cheap leather) or new skills (like woodworking/archery). The Killers would want new ways of PvP training (like combat arenas), or ways to attack other people (like suddenly switching 'safe' maps to PK ones).

Of course, some things may affect more than one type of player - a new magic system, for example, would be interesting to all: Achievers want to master it, Explorers want to figure it out, Killers want to use it against others, Socializers would probably talk about it for weeks. Likewise, monster invasions would provide Achievers with a new challenge, Explorers would try to find ways to anticipate attacks and develop new strategies, Killers would feed off the deathbags of those that died, Socializers would run away (and maybe complain bitterly if they got caught in one..).

The life of a game developer is not an easy one - trying to find the balance between all 4, and keeping everyone happy.

-Lyn-

Things are in the works to enhance the game for the other players as well, and more for the others as well ;)

For instance, the Explorers will like some of the changes currently being planned for maps, objects, and Joker.

Things are in the works to enhance the game for the other players as well, and more for the others as well :D

For instance, the Explorers will like some of the changes currently being planned for maps, objects, and Joker.

NOOOO!!!! Dont change the Joker :(. Just add 40 new spawns but dont make it completely random! It ruins all the fun

Guest Anchesenamon

Considering that: http://el.tfm.ro/top/ you are wrong Lyanna. I can't tell more about that because I am not playing the game yet but there are people who has high attack, defence and in example harvest. :lol: :D Also I'd like to ask you...who are you in this game? A developer?

The PK-switch will affect those Achievers that train in combat, and Killers. Making it a mod command, rather than player-activated, means that it will primarily be a punishment at first, so Killers would be put off by it. But if this becomes a player-activated command, or if the Ants and certain players volunteer to be PK-able, it will attract combat-Achievers and Killers instead. It will have no effect on socializers, since it's largely voluntary, and of course, Explorers would only be interested in working out how to beat the system before moving on.

-Lyn-

Hmm.... making PK-switch player-activated might make it easy to be abused. Strong players might train near a storage :rolleyes: :lol: But won't be abused by the lower lvl because they might get killed while doing so. Well high lvl players might be killed by 20 players' harm, but less chance since those 20 players might end up to scared going to pk map :lol:

New idea: how about make a code for choosing a map randomly each hour. And then turn the map into PK if it's non-PK and if it's PK make it non-PK. But docks and houses should be out of the PK system. "PK-ers raid, hide inside houses" :lol: Oo and as usual IP is a safe map for that.

Ooo yeah and also. That #pk command need some sort of adjustment if it's for an event. It needs to be make like a virus. I mean whoever attack or cast magic(harm, drain life, poison) to the target then the attacker or caster needs to get #pk also. Well if not then the target can be killed by harm easily once it's trapped since the other players don't need to attack the target to kill the target. The virus thingy will at least make the target able to attack those attackers.

But the downside is that after they get those #pk then after the event they'll need to be #unpk. Which is troublesome if there are lots of participants. :lol:

Hmm... maybe make a difference between the #pk for punishing and #pk for event. Since when you punish someone you don't want the #pk to spread out :lol:

Anyway seems it still needs to be worked on if it's for an event :rolleyes:

Considering that: http://el.tfm.ro/top/ you are wrong Lyanna. I can't tell more about that because I am not playing the game yet but there are people who has high attack, defence and in example harvest. :lol: :D Also I'd like to ask you...who are you in this game? A developer?

I don't see how I'm wrong... :rolleyes: This game has no limits on how to develop your skills - you can develop any or all skills simultaneously if you want. As for who I am... look at my siggy. :D

-Lyn-