Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DaVinci

Run Bot Program From A Webserver

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to run an Elbot from a webserver instead of from a home pc.

But i have no idea how this should be done. What changes should i make to my program so that it can run from a server, and where can i find a cheap hosting company.

Any1 has some suggestions...let me know!

Greetz,

DaVinci

Most webservers have a timeout, plus it's going to start a new copy everytime someone hits the page. Webserver software was not designed for something like this.

On the other hand, if you have shell access, you can run a normal program on the server, without involving IIS or Apache or whatever webserver software is used.

To do what Leeloo said, you would need either root access (or direct access) to a server, which is ~$50 a month for your OWN server.

Most hosting plans ~$5 only cover HTML and file hosting, not PHP or direct Apache module loading configuration; you can't execute programs. They are on SHARED servers. This server is not all yours.

So, in the end... it's easiest to leave your computer always on and have the program running.

Sorry.

--keknehv

i have php and mysql for 3€ / month. So thats no problem. The problem is that most hosters configure timeouts on network connections and script runtimes. So ur php bot could only stay online for 2 to 5 minutes <_<

To do what Leeloo said, you would need either root access (or direct access) to a server, which is ~$50 a month for your OWN server.

You DO NOT need - or even want - root access for a bot. A simple chroot'ed/jail'ed user with no permission except running the bot and outgoing connections is all you need.

If your bot can run under Linux and you provide the source, for a small monthly fee I'm willing to consider running it from my primary server for you. And that has a much better net connection then where the Ants run. Use Forums PM if you want to talk in detail :)

I've written my bot in java, so running on linux shouldn't be a problem, but it is still a work in progress....

So far it functions as a guildbot, keeping track of members online and highest skilled members like that. So i could pass the compiled version to my guildmates so they can run the bot whenever they need it.

But i'm working on the trade functions right now, and when that's done it would be better if it runs 24/7 so any player can use her functionality.

btw i'm having some problems with the implementation of the trade actions.

Does any1 has a efficient way to find out which item an other player puts on trade.

The thing i've tried was simulating a right click on every item a player puts in the trade window, and catching the return packet with the specified item text. But this generates some dirty code in java..isn't there a better way to find which items are on trade. For example isn't there a list which image_id belongs to which item. So i could just handle the first packet send and then decide how to handle?

I've tried to look in the c source, but i can't find where the image_id's are linked to actual images or something like paint (draw) functions?

Thx already!

Unfortunately, image id's are not unique, so you will have to request a description from the server for every item that's on trade. The good thing is that when an item is put on trade, the server tells you in which position in the trade window it is, so you don't have to try them all.