Sign in to follow this  
Aerowind

Programming

So will you help me  

1. 1. So will you help me

• yes
    • I'll think about it
    • NO!!!

Will anyone teach me in the art of programming so I understand things and so I can help and maybe start making a game of my own or help someone else (if I do this don't even think that I'm going to quit EL) ETERNAL LANDS IS THE BEST

You can learn the languages from books, and learn the style from existing works. Want to learn C? Pick up a book on C, read it, and then look over the code for a program written in C. Repeat.

I'm a computer science major, and maybe it just comes naturally. I can just RTFM and go. I'm pretty skilled with both spoken and computer languages. If you don't speak another language, try learning one. It might exercise the same parts of the brain.

[edit: and there's a "programming" forum you could have posted this in]

well this is a non-EL related thing so that's why I posted it here and BTW my libraries don't carry programming books and I don't have one

I agree with Cicero, in order to be a good programmer, you need to know another human (natural) language.

Programming is more about communicating, it has a lot in common with poetry. IMHO, programming (in general) has much more to do with literature than with math.

ok even though the literature just doesn't make sense you program a game Ent so I've got to believe you and thx Life

It makes sense, because programming is just telling the machine what to do.

In another language. It's all about translating English (or your native language) into C or another computer language. You think that's hard? Try writing a compiler/assembler. I've written a simple MIPS assembler for a project before. That's crazy stuff. It helps you understand where the compiler is coming from.

Ya, its tough finding some where that will sensably teach you how to program, I bet you did some yahoo search and found junk or a site that tought you it but you could bearly understand it right?

Well to solve it, one issue is the compiler, your gonna need hands on training to learn programing, its almost immposible to learn it on your own no matter what anyone says.

I know allot of people that went strait for C++ and well just got all dizzy from it.

You need a C comipler and you need C tutorial,

You can learn C++ without knowing C.

It seems like common sense right?

Well, I got my compiler for free off this guide book I bought about 5 years ago so I never looked for one over the net, but I did look once only to find some crap you had to load about 19 different peaces of it and the only way to use it is to first load some dos version of winzip. Then run it and put each piece together.

Annoying.

Your best bet is asking around for a compiler.

As for a C tutorial I have a site in my head but I cant remember the URL

its I think

www.howstuffworks.com

or maybe net, type it in a search maybe you will find it.

Theres allot of stuff you can learn from that site, infact its where I study allot of my facts. Very nice site.

Just use your common sense and you can find the programing area of it.

Good Luck.

your gonna need hands on training to learn programing, its almost immposible to learn it on your own no matter what anyone says.

I agree. I cant just learn that crap from books or websites. i gotta have a teacher. I couldnt even learn html on my own, it just blew my mind at the time...

and yeah i guess it's true how they are sayin that human languages and computer languages are related i wouldnt really know but i do know that programming will be a helluva lot easier if you've already taken some higher lvl math classes cuz some of it has a lot of mathematical stuff in it.

Actually, I learned ASM (Z80 and X86) totally by myself. I learned C 90% by myself (books) and 10% by asking friends. I learned PHP and MySQL with the help from some coworkers.

well, you're smarter than me then :)

and besides, im only 15 and i havent taken any foriegn language nor even algebra 1 yet LMAO...

(public school education sucks)

(American education sucks)

(American public school education really really sucks!!!)

Even though C might be a bit difficult as your first programming language, it has some advantages over the more "simplistic/acedemic" languages such as Delphi. You will get better at programming if you learn how to program in C before anything else, but it will be very hard for you at first... But you must know that C is more difficult to learn than Java/Delphi (imho :-) ).

Programming does require some knowledge of how the computer works - well, at least when it comes to optimizing algorithms for a more rapid execution and lower memory usage. As you get better at programming it gets more and more important that you are also getting more aware of computer architecture - e.g. the basics of the memory system etc.

Personally I have taught myself everything I know about programming - started out with Delphi when I was ~16 and now I'm programming mainly in C and ASM (18 years old now).

well, you're smarter than me then :cry:  

and besides, im only 15 and i havent taken any foriegn language nor even algebra 1 yet LMAO...

(public school education sucks)

(American education sucks)

(American public school education really really sucks!!!)

that's pretty funny I'm 13 and taking Algebra and I'm only in 8th grade wow thats amazing I want to learn programming at this age :D

lol im learning basic in 8th grade its a real bore :cry: so im getting my dad to teach me C++

o yeah and i took algebra last year which was 7th grad lol now im in geometry o joy shapes

I'm 15 as of a few days ago - and i'm only in basic algebra still cause I'm stupid :cry:

but anywho.. i've been fiddleing with C++, php, and - of course - html, all since I was 12...

when I said hands on; I meant that you will need a book, then the program that will make some use of the code your typing in.

Basically field work. You need to do it, you cant just read and know it. Well unless your memory is insane and you can draw on it anytime you want.

That case your about 4x more inteligent than that dude in the wheel chair that talks.

If you don't speak another language, try learning one. It might exercise the same parts of the brain.

I don't think so... I suck at languages. In denmark we learn german in school, and even after five years, I still don't speak enough german to order at a german McDonalds. When I try, I usually get something different than what I thought I ordered.

Programming on the other hand, well... Basic, Pascal, C, C++, Prolog, Miranda and Visual Basic. Ok, I don't remember much of Prolog and Miranda anymore, but they were no problem back in school.

Programming languages are logical, human languages are not. I'm best with logical stuff (programming, math), other people are better with "the rest" (art, languages, and so on).

3 days in France and I could order food, get directions to the bathroom, etc, with absolutely no prior knowledge of French. 2 weeks and I had finished 2 years worth of C++ curriculum (enough to get a perfect score on the exam). I assumed they were related. I've always tried to vary my skills as much as possible. Your sig banner wasn't too bad. It was better than my banner contest entries. I wouldn't say you totally suck at the arts, even if you're doing art on a computer. Try to find something artistic that you like. Let your left brain take a break every now and then. :wink:

I got to get in to programming myself. I have my moms old college textbooks (they're olny a few years old btw), but i don't have the patience to read through an entire textbook, even though i really should. I guess i'm just lazy.

If you don't speak another language, try learning one. It might exercise the same parts of the brain.

I don't think so... I suck at languages. In denmark we learn german in school, and even after five years, I still don't speak enough german to order at a german McDonalds. When I try, I usually get something different than what I thought I ordered.

I was really surprised when i saw entropys comment!

When it comes down to it, I'm like Leeloo. After five years of spanish, I can't speak it all too fluently. But programming is an entirely different thing. In programming it all has a natural cause. If there is an else Statement, there has to be an If statement somewhere, or else logically it doesn't work. But in spanish, I don't have a clue how putting an 'a' before a noun is helpful.

However, i do think there is a similarity in the learning curve. If you know one human langauge, its easier to learn another. Same with programming. I dare say with a reference manual for the standard libraries its somewhat easy to learn a new computer langauge in a week.

You dont need to know other languages to know programming better. Other languages can be changed via the dialect and such, programing is just 1 strait code that is always the same, sure you can give 1 code a different function but in the basics it all comes down to specific predefined strings. =P

Its just common sense you need to put those different codes together to make a great code to do great things.

Languages are much more complex, as in lets say spanish - there are over 15 different spanish countries and in some they speak using the same words but they have totally different meanings. =D.