Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ravenod

Map Editor Tutorial

It's more or less time consuming than complicated. Even I've gotten the hang of it now. Just make sure you write it AFTER you finish the whole map or you will pay the price later if you end up deleting anything later from the map.

It's more or less time consuming than complicated.  Even I've gotten the hang of it now.  Just make sure you write it AFTER you finish the whole map or you will pay the price later if you end up deleting anything later from the map.

157727[/snapback]

Thanks! I will be sure to remember it. :lol: Oh, one more thing b4 I work on the map. How do you play on it after it is complete?

Perhaps a big warning should be added to the tutorial - right next to where it says SAVE SAVE SAVE...there should be something that says

NEVER PRESS ESC KEY - EVER !!!

Thanks! I will be sure to remember it. :lol: Oh, one more thing b4 I work on the map. How do you play on it after it is complete?

157965[/snapback]

I was told that miham had a test server for maps that could be used but it's down at the moment.. when/if it'll come back up, I can't say and don't know.

I was told that miham had a test server for maps that could be used but it's down at the moment.. when/if it'll come back up, I can't say and don't know.

158419[/snapback]

Ok then. Thankyou.

Note. In the map editor it says:

Now get busy and make ALL the water in your map UNWALKABLE.

Apparently water is already unwalkable so you can't make it unwalkable. This can be turned off, but it's not so by default. Confused me for 15 minutes until I found answer here in the forums.

EDIT: It would be good to mention in the SAVE OFTEN DAMMIT section that incremental saving is a very good way to keep earlier versions safe. If you make MAJOR mistake like you do a whole castle or something horribly wrong you can revert to earlier version. Also if something as awkward(yeah, right) as windows crashes during your saving you still have something and don't need to start from scratch. Incremetal saving: MyMap001.elm, MyMap002.elm etc etc.

-cedox

Edited by cedox

Cedox, just open autosave in the maps folder. :bow_arrow: It usually saves anything important before a catastrophe (although, you -might- lose a couple things).

I made a map tutorial for anyone who needs it.

It's a begginer's course that let's you follow along as I explain things.

And IT HAS PICTURES! :wub:

http://www.geocities.com/aworldwithoutwind/maptutorial.html

Just post here if you find any problems. DO NOT EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS PLEASE. Post them here.

Thanks

Lovely Tutorial! it's better than the one we get with the game :) I understand maaping better :)

I want to make a map but I can't test it anywhere it seems... Is there any server port where I can edit stuff to existing maps and try them out? Or is there any way I can get on a new map I made myself on test server or something?

I can make a map, see it in mapeditor, but that's it. I don't know if it works... So, if there is a way, can anyone let me know plz? Thx

I want to make a map but I can't test it anywhere it seems... Is there any server port where I can edit stuff to existing maps and try them out? Or is there any way I can get on a new map I made myself on test server or something?

I can make a map, see it in mapeditor, but that's it. I don't know if it works... So, if there is a way, can anyone let me know plz? Thx

Thats as far as you can take it.

You don't need to. What you see in the map editor is how it will be, so if you've done everything right there won't be any problems.