Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Client wishlist

hey snejen, this is a game, not a test in good gui design :)

allso, as i fear that the current gui code makes buttons very big so dont expect miracles. oh and irc have survived a long time with cryptic commands and it does not look like its going to die any time soon :)

hmm, i give my support for the legend idea now. i had forgoten that there is black areas on both sides of the map that can hold the legend :)

should not be to hard:

* general store

* blacksmith

* flower shop

* temple

* tavern

(what else is there?)

i could probably toss one together in paint shop pro if i wanted to :)

It needs to look like the existing maps, so either Roja draws it, or someone else with some good photochop skillz.

oh you mean you could put the legend outside of the 512x512 map area? If that is so, pm me with the size specs and I'll make one up quick :)

Because that was why I didn't put a legend on the maps in the first place..some of the maps just did not have ANY room for one, and I wanted to be consistent so I just left it out of all of them.

Yes, I was planning on just putting it to one side. I didn't have any size in mind, really. This is one of those things that Ent told me to do because he was too lazy, and it just went to the bottom of my list. If you made a legend image, I don't think it would be too hard for me to stick it next to the map.

I'd like a "search the chat log" facility in the client. More than once, I've been tempted to try a vi-stlye "?" backwards search in the chat window. At least twice, I have closed the client in order to "grep whatever chat_log.txt" to search for something someone said to me.

I miss a lot of PM's because they scroll out of view, before I spot them. Especially if I'm busy hunting, or searching for an item. How about a SOUND - phone ring? - to alert incoming PM, or knock-when someone is trying to initiate a trade. Or, something like a keyword the sender can use to make the phone ring: -ring- when you aren't paying attention, and the other person wants to 'wake you up'.

This is all client-side programming, I should think.

------an afterthought:

I have inadvertently sent an answer to playerA's question to playerB by using //, not realizing that playerB had PM'ed me while I was typing. Can create some hilarious, but confusing dialog. A sound like the above would reduce that likelihood.

so why do you want ctrl+q?

For consistency. Nearly all programs I use are closed with ctrl-q. And of the few ones that don't, I'm trying to persuade the developers to change it :)

Here are a couple of client modifications I would certainly find useful, and I would expect quite a few people would agree with at least the first one.

1) Health / etheral points bars displayed somewhere on the icon / interface layer (probably near the clock and compass), allowing you to see your health in those situations such as in the mines where your health bar can be obscured by the scenery.

2) Names of character you are pointing at displayed either under the pointer or in a box at the bottom of the screen, so those of us who prefer to play with the floating health bars and names turned off can see who's who without having to "look" at people or turn the names back on. Also there can often be such a crowd that becomes difficult to tell which name goes with which character, or even to make the names out at all.

I support all of Malathorn's suggestions, especially Nr.1 as I've already though about suggesting that myself (most of the games show healt/mana bars that way - for a good reason).

Dont suppose there is a way to link the game and the forum so when in game you can type #news and it displays the last thing posted in the news section of the forum?

Perhaps it would be nice to make an actual installer for the game.

The zip-file that is supplied just isn't nice and not handy for people who don't have some experience with computers.

So a *.exe or a *.msi (for W98 and above) would be nice.

You get shortcuts instead of making them yourself and the files are stored on a general place (like program files or games or something..)

Ofcourse this doesn't count for Linux installations :)

the point is that then you have to have seperate installer for every os, now i can send this zip file to a friend that uses linux nad most probably he can use it as the binarys are in there.

i dont have a problem with zip files for games. hell i was kinda pissed when they started shipping fps mods in installers as that made it more troublesome to uninstall them (unless you like a freaking big add/remove list of redundant entrys)...

You don't need a installer for every different OS. Only for one for Windows and one for Linux. If you package it right there will be no redundant entries in your add/remove programs list. You could even distribute a new full package that only updates the files if you already have the game and does a full install if it's needed. Also no noobs would be able to delete any critical files if you flag them as advertised (providing the installation file is available).

Perhaps a choice between the two (zip or msi/exe) would be best for now?

It's been a while since something has been suggested here but has this idea been brought up?

How about an "Auto Log-in" or an "Auto Fill-in" on the enterance Screen? I mean that i once you type in your Name And Password, it'll store your data and the next time you Start EL, it'll automaticly fill it in so you don't have to retype it each time.

It's just a small convinence but it'll help me at least (my Password is Complex).

That could be done, but it would be insecure. Your user name and password would be just stored as plain text. Maybe make them able to be read from el.ini or something. I wanted to switch passwords to MD5 hashes, but Ent doesn't want to :roll:

You don't need a installer for every different OS. Only for one for Windows and one for Linux.

And which of them would the Mac guys use?

about the stuff on page 1(lol sorry)

ok heres the thing smashing a bone isnt the only use of a mortar & pestle (notice the way its pestle not pedestle) and even if it were its not a mixing screen its a manufacturing/alchemy/potion/summoning screen ok and ent i know wat u sed about resizing screen and it wuld be difficult and ur rite calling this game a quake clone makes (insert name here) a %&$#@ in my book but wat if ur resize was simply a button that incresed screen by some numbers that were equal to 4:3 (thats the rite ratio?)

ok thats all and sorry about anger i need a nap lol