Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Client wishlist

Aye, I see what you're saying about the Scrolling now. I thought about it after I posted that last post and I think it could work like that well for the Inventory lists and maybe the Shop/Storage Lists too but I don't think it'll look very nice for the Equip Screen. It's just that often people want to have a easy view of anything they Have Equipped and what they want to equip at the ame time. If the Equipped Screen scrolls then at one time or another at least part of that list will be hidden. It wouldn't make The "QuickEquipping" idea impossible but it would get somewhat annoying.

And now that you Mentioned that 2x2 Images idea, Have you ever Played Pool Of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor? This whole conversation is almost drifting to resemble that game. It's Menu System is Exactly as you described. In fact, EL already looks much like it too.

I just thought I mention that. Don't want to cross any Copyright laws.

we have humans, elfs, dwarfs, orcs. we are trying to get some efficient use of screen realestate. basicly its starting to look like 9 out of 10 computer rpgs :)

the reason for me wanting a scrollable list for equipment is that a square grid or even more so a humanoid shape with boxes on it have a limited number of slots, sure it make one able to look at a glance what one is wearing but its allso the most inefficient use of screenspace. and if you feel like squezzing that kind of shape into the existing space it will become very small or you will have to resize the inventory area.

there is allso the fact that right now we dont know how many slots for equipment are needed. we will currently need head, neck, left and right hand, body, backside, atleast one ring slot. now if people want more there needs to be one slot for boots, maybe one for leg armor. and god knows what else may come along later...

Here's an Idea. Instead of making a Diagram of a Human Form, how about just arrange the Squares into the Form of a Person? But make it like maybe 3x3 instead?

__ [_]__

[_][_][_]

[_][_][_]

[_][_][_]

Maybe something like that? Maybe could draw an Outline of where each goes inside the boxes? Of course this may take a little work to do right.

Here's a few ideas how I think the Inventory show be Redesigned as. First, the Length should be extented just slightly. This is so it could include a 3x3 Square display for the Equipment. Also I think that the "Quantity" Buttons should go down under the Inventory squares, lined out end to end. This is what is taking up a lot of room. But this way they'll be out of the way to make more room for other stuff plus they don't get covered up by the "Dropped" screen.

Also, anyone notice that the "Dropped" screen holds almost twice that of your inventory? I understand that there could be more stuff on the ground then you can carry but when is there ever that much in one place? I think the screen could be sized down a little.

Also, when I mentioned assigning a button to an Object, I actually meant to add an "Auto-Use" button to the Toolbar. Several of those Keys could be taken out anyway or better yet, you could just add extra functions to the pre-exsisting Buttons; with such functions accessable by a Right click on them in addition to the Left click for their regular functions.

Yes but this would need you to have a chat box first

ok now i follow you kami and i think your ideas make sense :)

err aerowind, what does adding rightclick functions to the graphical buttons at the bottom of the screen have to do with a chatbox?

I hope this doesnt sound dumb, but I would really like a quest menu that shows all the quests for the game and which ones you have won. You could just add a new icon at the bottom with like a book or something like that on it which could be the icon and when u hold you mouse over it, it would pull up a little box that has them in it.

How about if // lets you PM the last person that PM'd you?. So  

//Where can I meet you?  

Sends the message to the last pm'r

Yes I thought about that too, but... what happens if you get another pm in the meantime?

to bad the tab button is used or we could use tab complete ;)

maybe if the text was mouse sensitve so that you could click a name to pm someone?

hmm, that chat window idea seems a bit more interesting...

Yes I thought about that too, but... what happens if you get another pm in the meantime?

I figured that the client should see the '//' as you type is and change it to /someperson for you, that way you know exactly who its going to.

well i gota few ideas ...

being able to click some button and the camera turns and points dead north.

mabie holding down the mose button makes you walk in that direction, its like you gota click a million times to get newere.

mabie a function key that lets you walk around still being able to do every thing open doors harvest so on but not attack things, acdently clickin on a beer at the wrong lvl and ur over.

kinda off a bit but i was thinkin mabie that you could drink the wine an mead, puts up ur material points up like 5 or somein but when you drink it lill bubble or somein float above ur head ..say ya drink 5 ya get bubbles wit "hic" but you start to lose material points ? and the hic animation pops up now n then till ur sober ...just that when there is a party in the bar and people are handin out drinks its well not as fun as it could be.

mabie even a "Burp" "Mmm" when you eat some bread or meat ..more player emotes ...sitting is good but wavein would be great ..HAY even an animation for harvesting ? and one for when you manufacture somein and alchemy too ..ops goin too far :roll: ill stop here.

but your kinda right, emotes (as in animations on the character) would be nice. and so would action animations for harvest and manufacturing/potions/alchemy and magic...

in fact i was just thinking that we need a way to tell if a spell is ready or not, maybe haveing the character hold his hand like he is carrying something in it would be a nice indicator :)

i allso like your idea for alcohol but maybe instead of looseing material points the person gets worse at doing things while drunk, and if the alcohol was the effect of the miss then a (hic!) should appear after the failure message :)

and both eating and drinking could have a small animation of the person lifting his hand to his face like he was putting something to or in his mouth...

I figured that the client should see the '//' as you type is and change it to /someperson for you, that way you know exactly who its going to.

Done, when you type // the line of text changes to /playername followed by a space so you just type the text.

hey learner, one small change to the // thing:

maybe add the ability to remeber the last 10 people to pm me and if i write /"partial name"/ it will pm the person that matches the most :D

Too confusing, because // will automagically put the last name.

If you want to do a partial match, then you'd need a different syntax.

right click would cancel any pickup, eye, use action and put you into "walk".

keyboard shortcuts for walk, pickup, eye, use

different storage access.storage could be like a bag, window with icons representing what's inside. this "what action, what kind, what type, how many" for every item is awful.it takes lots of clicking just to check what's in there.the guy wouldn't be a dialog option but more like a bag when you click on him. not sure if that's possible though :(

of course, with huge amounts of different things stored in there it might get confusing, so unless someone comes with a suggestion how to avoid that, forget i wrote about it :D

Huge amounts of different things wont be a prob, since the max items is limited to 50. (It be nice if all items stack, not like the inventory where antlers and body rests and such don't stack at all)

hey learner, one small change to the // thing:

maybe add the ability to remeber the last 10 people to pm me and if i write /"partial name"/ it will pm the person that matches the most :D

Um, you do realize that PMs already work that way? You only have to type the first unique characters of someone's name.

in fact i didnt know as i think it must have slipped past me :)

and how is /entr/ to confusing? its just a extension of the // system :)

that is unless // will become /entropy when i have typed it...

hmm, now i see the confusion. i was thinking that it would not replace but rather do a match after the message was written and you pressed enter...

that's why i suggested the storage being like a bag. there, even the bodyrests are stackable. if there's a limit of 50 things in the storage, i would sugest that graphical representation is much better than the dialog based one there's now. just my oppinion. it would be similar to diablo2's chest.

not sure if this is can be done clientside only but i wish that if i moved onto a chair or bench or similar then it would make the autosit rahter then me looking silly standing on top of it :)