Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Client wishlist

Ok, as you might know already, I stopped working at the game client, in order to focus more on the server part.

Learner and Cicero are now the client developers, and they work under my wise and great supervision ;)

As you will see in the next client update, they did some pretty nice things, like fixing a random crash bug, some small optimizations, two new resolutions, ability to ignore someone on a channel, an new option to turn off the reflections, etc.

Cicero will change the sounds from SDL_mixer to OpenAL, when he will have some time, in order to fix the many sound issues we have right now.

Anyway, please give them some feedback, on what they should focus next. The feedback should include client side PROGRAMMING thing sonly, so no suggestions as new quests, new monsters, new maps, etc.

My first suggestion would be to have a shortcut to put the last name of the person that PMed you.

Something like:

PM from pula_n_pizda "blah blah"

you press some shortcut, and it puts:

/pula_in_pizda

in your type box, so you won't have to type the name, and mispell it, etc.

Another suggestion is to make it so that you can use alt+arrow keys to move in the text you typed and change stuff.

When you have you inventory screen up, it would be cool if the right mouse button was the "use" button. So if you have some potions, and u need to use them, you just right click them from the inventory. I know the right mouse button gives info on what the item does, but this can be solved by making the info appear when the mouse is just over the item, without clicking.

It gets annoying when fighting harder monsters, you always have to be ready with healing potions, but when you are clicked onto the use icon, you cannot attack or walk to certain places,

Ah...good idea :D And good suggestions.

Ok...if this is the appropriate area...so many people have suggested it that I just want to scream...but a buddy list might be useful for the people who have lots of friends. I personally don't need it because...erm...anyway a buddy list yea.

Lesse...what else...oh I got it. A way to log out, as in an icon, say in the tools area. Lots of newbies ask "how do I log out" (yea yea they should read the manual) and say stuff like "there is no log out button/icon" so maybe something like that...

Maybe something, when leveling an attribute with an NPC, that tells them what the thing you're leveling does. I.E. Bakart: "Well done Tumaros! If you want, I can help you level your PHYSIQUE." and your options are the usuals, "Sure!" "Do you have any more quests for me?" etc., plus an option to say "What does physique do?" and he explains "Physique increases your load and helps your combat bla bla" You get the idea.

Another thing like that above...something that gives you information about something you're trying to purchase...more specifically weapons and armor. It sucks beyond belief when you buy something, and find out that it's crap, and you can't sell it or can only sell it to Trik for half price. Maybe, if you click on the sword/armor/etc. you want to buy, it brings up a pop-up window telling all the stats of it, showing what it looks like, whatever, and the npc asks "Are you sure you want to purchase this?" and either you can confirm or deny.

Anyway, that's all I can really think of at the moment, there'll probably be more, I'll just post 'em when I think of them.

:P Good luck, you two ;)

I have an idea to start some in game guild options like make it so there is some commands such as #start guild <name> and #add member and #promote etc. stuff like that you know just so we can get a start on the in guild game options also have like a buddy list thing for the guild where you can say to all guild members something like #guildshout Come to bla bla bla for a guild meeting or something (I think this would be for programming)

Can you please tell me which ones of mine were not client-related?

The suggestions that i like:

the alt+arrow key thingie that entropy said

the inventory thing that lexic said

everything that tumaros said

some of my own suggestions:

ability to resize the game window to however you want it

make a god message whenever you kill or get killed by someone(like "so and so got owned by so and so)

make depositing/withdrawing items in banks faster and easier

alot of peeps seem to be bitching about nighttime being too dark so maybe you could do something about that too

pardon all the people that have been denoobified :P

everything that tumaros said

Hehe, thanks :)

Ok...about your ideas...

ability to resize the game window to however you want it - That would be really nice to have...

make a god message whenever you kill or get killed by someone(like "so and so got owned by so and so) - I dunno :| Maybe if it was during a fight in an arena, it could be broadcasted throughout the arena alone. I just know I'd be embarassed to se my name as the second "so and so" >.<

make depositing/withdrawing items in banks faster and easier - yeah, see the "storage" post on the suggestions forum

alot of peeps seem to be bitching about nighttime being too dark so maybe you could do something about that too - it's not dark! see the "night too dark" or something like that on the suggestions forum as well

pardon all the people that have been denoobified :) - like "#renoobify" or "undenoobify"? hehe :P

alot of peeps seem to be bitching about nighttime being too dark so maybe you could do something about that too - it's not dark! see the "night too dark" or something like that on the suggestions forum as well

its not dark for me or most of the people that play i dont think...mabey it has sumthin to do with the monitors...its just that alot of people are complainin about the night being too dark and some people say that turning their brightness up all the way doesnt help either so i dunno*shrug*

It is not that simple to resize the window, because it has to have a certain aspect ratio, otherwise bad things happen.

The night being too dark, well, I think the contrary, it is not dark enough, I am perfectly able t see the things at night, with no lights nearby. Of course, if the sun is shinign in your monitor, or all your room lights are turned on, yes, you will have some difficulties to do that, but otherwise it should be visible enough.

As for your name and your killer name being announcent when you get pwned, that's stupid. This game is NOT meant to be Quake. It would also really suck to get covered in dead messages, especially when there will be 1000 players on.

How about, the ability to resize in game function windows? for Example: The inventory window with its 600 squares. I have 6 items, it takes up the full screen... Perhaps by reducing it's size would allow a user the ability to keep it open, to see the load capacity they are at, without taking up the whole screen. Same with manufacturing, I have yet to get more than a row worth of items, yet it has 3 rows worth of blocks, plus the mix row, taking up 1/4th the screen.

Second, I know it's been suggested before, and if I had a decent solution myself, I would submit it, but a window about the size of the manufacturing window locked on the bottom of the screen which text (System messages green/red, Private messages Magneta, game text white, channel chat some other color) scroll through. The x option ever at the ready, perhaps a shortcut at the bottom for channel chat on/off, pm on/off, system text on/off, and messages on/off. I have an idea for the design, just not for the coding. Since I'm not at my comp, I can't submit it at this time.

Third, Lockout option. Much like Lexic has suggested, but a bit more detailed. Clicking on a specific function icon at the bottom of the screen should lock out other options. Using Lexic's example, say you know you're going to fight... Clicking the fist should only allow you to walk, fight, and use items (that order). Harvesting should lock out the eye function (you see frak, you see frak, you see frak, you harvest 1 silver, you see frak, etc...). the Eye function really needs to be disabled for every function chosen except of course the eye itself. Trading is a BITCH!...

That's it for now,

Evil Scorpio

Second, I know it's been suggested before, and if I had a decent solution myself, I would submit it, but a window about the size of the manufacturing window locked on the bottom of the screen which text (System messages green/red, Private messages Magneta, game text white, channel chat some other color) scroll through. The x option ever at the ready, perhaps a shortcut at the bottom for channel chat on/off, pm on/off, system text on/off, and messages on/off. I have an idea for the design, just not for the coding. Since I'm not at my comp, I can't submit it at this time.

It's definitely in planning, and most of the design has already been thought up. Learner or I just need to get around to coding it.

It is not that simple to resize the window, because it has to have a certain aspect ratio, otherwise bad things happen.

The night being too dark, well, I think the contrary, it is not dark enough, I am perfectly able t see the things at night, with no lights nearby. Of course, if the sun is shinign in your monitor, or all your room lights are turned on, yes, you will have some difficulties to do that, but otherwise it should be visible enough.

As for your name and your killer name being announcent when you get pwned, that's stupid. This game is NOT meant to be Quake. It would also really suck to get covered in dead messages, especially when there will be 1000 players on.

uh Entropy i dunno if u relaized it but ur game is just like quake in rpg form lol. U use the same standard progamming. C/OpenGL.

How about if // lets you PM the last person that PM'd you?. So

//Where can I meet you?

Sends the message to the last pm'r

im not sure if the buddy list is programming but if u had an icon at the bottem where you could add your friends and it would tell you when they loged into the game and log out. something like "thra11 entered eternal lands" this way you dont have to send a message to someone to see if there online

about that right click to use in inventory idea. i talked to entropy about it ones and he said that it was like that so that people didnt by accident use a item when trying to look at it or move it...

personaly i would rather leave it like it is and introduce some boxes at one of the screen sides where you can put items you want for quick access (dont flame me about this being to diablo2 as any realtime game needs a quickaccess strip, belive me).

now when a item is dropped in that strip its more like a representation of that item. its not part of the inventory but rather shows a quickaccess icon for that type of item as long as you have atleast one of its kind in your inventory.

now this icon should support rightclick to use while the stuff in the inventory is left as is...

uh Entropy i dunno if u relaized it but ur game is just like quake in rpg form lol. U use the same standard progamming. C/OpenGL.

A lot of game use C/OpenGL. That doesn't make them Quake clones, or Eternal Lands clones.

Duran, that's a good idea...

I think reformatting of the Inventory window would go a long way to improve game play.

For example, making it larger to include a more accurate and functional Equip window. Then again, a submenu could also be implemented to do that also (just for the Equipment Squares) but I don't know if that's possible for you. I understand that making the menu might cover the whole screen. That's why I also think you should resize the Item Boxes to reduce the window's size.

While I'm on the Equipment Part, I think (once you improve the Equip Squares) that you can right click on an "Equipable" Item and it'll automatically equip itself in the menu in the appropriate square (and replacing any object that might have been there previously!)

Also, with the addition of even more objects, including Wearable ones, the Equip Menu is going to become quite big. Lets see, that’s Right Hand, Left Hand, Torso, Head, Neck, and Back (if Cloak and Necklace are not the same) to start and that makes 6 equipable functions and only for the upper body. Personally, I don't feel fully decked out without protection for my lower half too. If there's going to be more Items then this, I think you might end up having to use a completely separate Side Sub-Window for the Equip Screen. Possibly (and logically) only accessible from the Inventory Screen.

Also, I hate trying to use items in my Inventory and trying to watch what's going on in the game at the same time. Since much of the screen is taken up by one window or other most of the time anyway, I kind of like the idea of an "Auto Use" Button or even much like what duran said. You could assign one idem (such as a Potion, Ring, etc.) while in the Inventory Menu then close it and each time you want to use that idem, you just press the button and it'll automatically use that idem and only that idem. To change it, you'd need to reset it in the Inventory menu.

Also adding to that, I think that only certain Items need to be manufactured only in the Mixing Screen, such as when combining several components! But you should be able to automatically use things that produce simple results, such as the Mortal and Pedestal. I think you should be able to click on the Mortal and Pedestal to use it and (if 3 Bones are in your Inventory) you'll make Bone Powder automatically. Shoot, you don't get any Exp after all for them even though you still take so long to work for them, it shouldn't be that hard to to crush bones.

Sorry if I’m re-iterating anyone or mentioned things already discussed but this is how I see it.

This thread is going to get huge really quick. How about if your suggestion takes more than a few sentences, to start a new thread for it and just post something like "see thread 'buddy list' ". All discussion should be in separate threads, and this thread should just be a list of suggestions.

there is a problem with useing keys and that problem is that if its not the Fx keys you will need a key combo to trigger it (just look at the fact that there are key combos for the "toolbar" but all of them need alt+key to trigger) as the keyboard is used for writeing all the time (and i like that fact as i dont have to hit some crasy combo to start writeing :) )...

as for changeing the size of the inventory squares, good luck. the images are becomeing very small allready. and for protection for the lower body, i belive this will be coverd in future armors. allso there is not one specified spot for eatch item you wear, i can drop my armor in any of the current squares available. in fact that is a most flexible solution. the only better thing would be a scrollable list so that like you said kami one used a item and it became equiped and to remove it you located it on the scroll list. (or just drag and drop it on the scroll list)

Aye, but personally I don't like the way the Equip Squares are right now. They're kind of annoying as is and as the Game progresses, just those 6 squares are going to start being completely filled with equipment during Late in the game (in the Paid version at Least) and not really seeing where to equip an item and an accurate account of your current Equipment makes the game so unpleasant. And I don't see how such a "Scrolling List" could be better. Or at least, not without an extreme amount of extra Programming on the Game-Designers' part. Just reworking the section is all I'm saying. It needs to be redrawn anyway and I just think it can be inproved conciderably!

Plus, imagine how annoying it is when you're mining and a Goblin or Skeleton starts attacking you. Unless you can actually use a Pickaxe very well, it takes time and effort to switch an Equiped Pickaxe for a Weapon. That's why I really like the Switch-Equipping Idea or even the Sheath Idea mention a few Topics Ago. I'm just saiying that there so much interesting stuff that could improve the Functionality and the Fun of the game.

Also, when I mentioned assigning a button to an Object, I actually meant to add an "Auto-Use" button to the Toolbar. Several of those Keys could be taken out anyway or better yet, you could just add extra functions to the pre-exsisting Buttons; with such functions accessable by a Right click on them in addition to the Left click for their regular functions.

the thing is that a 2x6 grid takes up less space then a humanoid shape with boxes placed all over it. as for a scrolled list, it does not need a scroll bar but just a arrow on top and bottom that you click to move the list up and down.

as for quickequiping a weapon, no problem. take my idea and allow for a weapon to be dragged on there and then when its rightclicked it will replace any existing weapon currently equiped. in fact thats how i feel the equipsystem should work rather then bitching about you allready haveing something equiped :P if its so smart it can tell that a similar item is allready there its not a long stretch to have it bump the item to the inventory fgrid and replace it with the new item...

allso, a scrolled list can be infinetly large :D (in theory, it will run out of memory for the gigantic array some time)

as for autouse buttons, read my idea (that entropy said was good) its basicly the same (only more flexible as your setting up the "buttons" not some coder). the icons at the bottom should not be messed with as they serve as a action override. select a action and rightclick and you 100% sure that the action will be carryed out...

hmm, in fact t think that the current inventory system could be reworked to a very "scrolling" list. and then we assign diffrent bulk to diffrent items. as sutch you risk running out of space before your overloaded. a bit like what we have now with nonstackable items but makes the system even more flexible as some items should be maybe 2x2 or bigger in my view (shields, swords and similar anyone?)...