Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Astronomican

Too dark night

Should night have more light?  

1. 1. Should night have more light?

• Yes im loosing eyesight dramatically
    • No i like passing 3 hours near a light source

I think that the night its too dark, i can only see my character name when im walking in the wilderness. Maybe there could be a gamma correction option in the game because i hate changing screen's brightness.

...I was about to say "change the screens brightness" when I clicked on this topic and then I saw you don't like it...so there goes my suggestion for you.

Honestly, everyone complains about it being too dark. Maybe I just have a good monitor, but no matter where I am, heck if I'm in a pitch black cave, a tree-filled wilderness, anywhere, I can always see as clearly as during day in-game. :?

Usually I play EL with the lights turned off. It takes away the glare from lights and I can see much better, no problem with the pitch dark night for me.

No troubles for me either just looks like the cloud shadow are turned on in the day at night with them off ;)

Maybe to help it out we could make torches and equip them and it lights up the area around us.

I bet that the few folks who can't see during nighttime hours have the same video card. On my system, nighttime is barely darker than daytime (I have a laptop using an ATI RAGE controller and I mostly play under Linux).

I think we do still need the day/night cycle, but a day should be an odd number of hours long and make the daytime longer then the night. Yes, that subtracts from realism, but most adventerures prefer going out at night.

As for how dark the nights are, I've seen systems where it's very dark and others where it isn't dark at all. A lot depends on the lighting, monitor, and gamma correction settings. for instance my main Linux box was way too dark, so I adjusted my gamma using xgamma.

dont mess with the day/night cycle! now its perfectly stable so with a bit of training you can look at your local time and tell what it is in EL :)

as for the level of darkness, i find it just right. but i know that if a friend of mine where to try and play then he would get a problem as it seems the gl drivers on his "slightly" old ati card makes the screen very dark!

Yeah, the seconds in EL slightly differ from the ones IRL. That's to make sure if you always log in at, say 4PM you wont log in at the same EL time every day.

When I started playing, I had a problem with night being completely black. After a while, I found out, that my graphics card (Matrox G200) or driver doesn't support the feature that the game uses for rendering shadows. Even at day, if I turn on shadows, everything just gets darker. No pretty drawn shadows on the ground, just a darker screen. This was also the problem at night, since making everything darker, when it's already dark, makes it very dark.

After I turned off shadows, I can see everything, even at night. So, if you don't see shadows during the day, turn off shadows in el.ini.

I have updated my video card drivers (Radeon 7500) and my monitor drivers (AOC Spectrum V7), i have turned my room lights off and closed the windows, i have deactivated the shadows option, and the brightness has increased only a bit, but not enough to distinguish between a mountain or a tree, ist all black except my name and when im inside a building or near a lightpost.

It seems that i will be playing only in daytime for a looong time. ;)