Sign in to follow this  
Roja

The "Evil Castle"

Rename The Evil Castle?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Rename The Evil Castle?

• Yeah change that stupid name!
    • Keep The Evil Castle name!

Hey guys... I put this poll up because well...when I was making the white stone map, I did it all in a rush, and didn't think of proper names for things..so that's why "The Evil Caslte" is named that way.

Do you think we should pick a better name for it? And if so, any suggestions? Or should we just keep its' name really cheesy as it is? ;)

I don't really mind the name. But (huge but) if we're gonna change it, I'd say do it properly. Few of you may have read my kinda useless suggestion about languages, but come to think of it, a mere naming language would be nice. So the places, castles, taverns and such could have really unique names. (And if you're gonna change the name of the Evil Castle into something English, it'll still sound cheesy :D You'll probably use something out of another language (Latin or Greek most likely))

Heh, I just can't let go of that language thingy :)

Yeah..treetown, pinetown..pine tree forest..you could tell i was really thinking when i named them :roll:

Anyway, I like your idea Geelef..about languages. But i'm not thinking to actually make up languages..just to have a certain "flavor" or character to each race/city...I'll work on these things, including the storyline, a little later when I'm done with most of the art. Right now I dont' have time

Hey I noticed that there are more votes against me changing the Evil caslte name...but I only have comments in the other direction. Anyone want to tell me why I should keep it? :)

when i voted it turned it around to changing it being more favorable :)

i really like Geeleef's idea. i'm a really big fan of tolkien and how he made up complex languages for the different and something like that(just much much simpler)in el would fit nicely i think.

Psst...don't look now, but I just made it split right down the middle, 50/50 :P I have a way of doing these things...anywho I like the name...mysterious...

"Greetings, Tumaros."

"Ah, [someone], how have you been?"

"Poorly...I was passing by the Evil Castle today."

"Did you manage to catch a glimpse of the gargoyles?"

"Why do you think I'm doing poorly..."

I just think it's kind of ominous in conversation :)

Anyway, I like your idea Geelef..about languages. But i'm not thinking to actually make up languages..just to have a certain "flavor" or character to each race/city...I'll work on these things, including the storyline, a little later when I'm done with most of the art. Right now I dont' have time

I could do the whole language for you. It seems naming languages are the most easy to make, so I'll probably be fine :) I just need some basic info, like how each race's names will sound (agressive, mystic, smooth, short, long, ...). I'd say dwarves would have a bit 'strong' language, not as strong as the orcs and minotaurs, but stronger than the humans. Elves should have soft and smooth names, while the centaurs have a mystical language.

(Just something I noticed... People seem to be calling me 'Geeleef' Just like to point out it's Geelef with one e in the end :) No offense.)

Hehehe...I can see how people make that mistake. I just like going with Gee, it's easier to remember (and faster to type) :)

Anyway...yeah, I love the language ideas. (Looks over the language that he made a year ago) Hmm...this one could go a long way...not that it would be used in the game, of course...it's all symbol based :P

Hmm...can't wait to see how they turn out :)

I like geelef's idea have like an Elven City (a city in elvish) like turn Tree Town to an Elven Name cuz Elves are all about the tree's remember I mean Tolkein is the best so ya change it and change The Evil Castle Name :| so cheezy not even funny (Evil Castle who you trying to kid)

G3l33f must have heard my prophocies idea because I made it up ages ago... (my languages would the understandable because the "english" language was based on it) so like Tree town would be.

Tres Taln which after a while you could figure out it was tree town as you level up in language. Seeing as no one will program my damn game just steal it.

Random names could do ofcourse, but if you've got two castles, one's called Evil Castle, the other Boooring Castle (or wutever), and the names would be like Iklialoingal and Bragalyk, I can't see the relationship between them (like in English)...

And ofcourse, it's cool to see how two languages (elvish and orcish of example) have words which relate a bit to eachother. (So, castle in Elvish could be Daraleg, while in Orcish it'd be Torolash)

You know, I'll just put up the things I'd do:

1. Create a motherlanguage - just a few simple words with some sort of system behind the vocals and consonants.

2. Derive the other languages from that language - I've got a system which shows me how sounds change over time

3. Make up some names, in the motherlanguage.

4. Two types of names in the newer languages - one that's derived from the words in that particular language, the other where the names are derived from the motherlanguage - creating a bit different names altogether.

5. Take orders for new names :)

Err, Killer I didn't really read your idea's about 'prophecies' at all, I just ran into that site (posted it already, you even asked me for it) and I thought it might be a nice idea for the game...

Well, suppose you do rename the Castle. Say you name it "Gorn Castle". But here's the question; Who or What is Gorn? Is Gorn a Great Sorcerer who inhabits the Castle or was he the one who built this Castle? Was he the one who cursed the Castle to be plagued with Gargoyles or was he the one who tried in vain to defend the castle from the Encroaching Horde?

See? With names come the need for a Story and a background. Names improve the reality of the world but it also creates a curiosity in people. They start to want to know the reasons behind everything and require a Story to explain this world in which they’re playing.

I suppose this will still be the same even if you don't change it's name but at least you'll have less of a Burden. If you are going to change the Name, I suggest you think of a story involving it first, then you can work on the name. This way, the name will make more sense during the game and not be just another "Evil Castle"!

Personally, I think the Castle should be able to be Conquered by a player, in which stopping the Gargoyle Spawning for a short time. Periodicly, the Gargoyles may rise up and attempt to reclaim the castle again but I think it'll add a interesting change for the players as well as a Challange!

I think that if the Castle does become more implimented into the Game like that, I think you really need to stop the Spawning while the Castle is held. Otherwise, the Holder of the Castle gain a very nice advantage as long as he holds it.

Im sure ur busy making ends meet and all but i agree with those who have already said it, it actually LOOKS rushed, the whole thing!

The Name evil castle is sad, treetown (youre kidding?), Always so many docks and ports, portland(wtf?), very functional description of the place, but they dont conjour up images of evil foes and villains, or valiant knights saving the local maiden(virgin of course). A few ideas (because im not here just to vent i add my 2 cents is all) Evergreen(treetown)? maybe add a few elven npcs? The shores of Eluthera(portland). Ent said programming is like communication, so express your wildest dreams in the name, make us belive we are in another place and time, not just another new map.

Heh :) I got the naming job from Roja. Like I said above, I'll create a language for every race and from that language names would pop up like mushrooms in my fridge :)

Just you make sure you get with the one doing the "Story" in this game. This Game needs more story to it and the Names are very important to the story!

evil castle should be: Bok'huunst

and whatever its rival castle is should b called: Tun'huunst

(the 'huunst part would be 'castle' in wutever madeup language it would b from)

and.. treetown: canille

Ok, it's official, we're changing some of the names. The names will have meanings behind them, even stories, based on the languages of the different races. Here is what Geelef came up with so far:

Tree Town:

Valeimase (Stands for Town of Elvish Houses)

Evil Castle:

Hamt Vesaley (Stands for Gargoyles Castle, didn't use a name for the Vampire, although I can if you want to.)

Hmm... A warm feeling bubbles from my insides... :) Makes me wanna go back to work 0.0 Full languages might be done in a week or so, so just hang on thight.