Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Team Split

As you all know, I will start working at Eternal Lands 2, which will be totally different from EL1. Most of the old code will be reused, but I can use some help. Roja will help with the art, Wytter said he is willing to work for EL2, and I could use Sadez too, there are some things where he is the expert (the map editor and maps in general).

Umrion can also work for both, since he is the GFX guy, and we need GFX for both EL1 and EL2.

Learner will work at EL1, and Cicero I don't know where he will work at. So let me know of your plans, ok?

Hrm, then who will be left doing most of the client work on EL1? Learner and Cicero if they stay will be a little busy with the server...

I would like to help you with EL2, the idea of a more team oriented game with player built structures, more rp and less powergaming sounds really interesting B)

i dunno if that includes mapmakers

but if it does, i'd be more than happy to make some maps for EL2 and p2p B)

cool sond likegreat idea if can any thing can helps yous with tell me because I would like game team oriented.(but makes sure limited harvest want in it before yous let people play it)Oh and made try do more note what each function purpose is so that know where place new stuff in it.

We will need new maps as well, but this new game, called Barren Moon, will have nothing man made on it, in the beginning. You'll have to teraform your area, build structures, etc.

Ok, this is getting kinda crazy. ;)

My thoughts at the moment: I haven't done a whole lot on the client in a while (there's really not a whole lot left to do on it), but there's a nice sized to-do list for the server. Learner has already started working on it, but he could probably use some help. I'll help him try to put a big dent in the to-do list for the server, and work with the quests (since I'm the only other one besides Ent who has touched Small). Once p2p for EL1 is done, I'll join up with the EL2 team. Maybe sooner, if things are going well and smoothly for EL1.

is it going to be a bit like shadowbane where you can invaid vilages and castles and stuff? (never played it just heard about it but it sounds a cool idea)

Team split sounds kinda .. splitting (duh) and sad :P

However in case barren moon needs maps i will be there to help as i do for el.

But as far as i heared the biggest parts will be self made by the players so you probably won't need maps. Also there isn't anything programmed yet so that you would need them to test.

Anyways just contact me if you need maps. xD

And of course i will keep making maps for el!

[offtopic type=non programming xD]

Umm and something else. What i would like is that if you talk about the new game then call it barren moon and not el2 because that sounds as if eternal lands is the past to me.

Also it is quite confusing because we are going to have a second el continent and ppl think bm is going to be the 2nd el continent.

[/offtopic]

Umm, why? Does Everquest 2 mean that EQ 1 is dead? I don't think so.

Of course, Barren Moon will be a totally different kind of game, but it will use the El art, style, movement, etc.

And I will need EMPTY maps (that is, no structure, but rivers, some mountains, little vegetation, etc.)

Umm, why? Does Everquest 2 mean that EQ 1 is dead? I don't think so.

It isn't? I would have guessed it was. With other games, once the new version comes out, noone wants to play the old version. Not even a game like UT, once UT2003 came, noone wanted to play UT anymore, even though the gameplay is the same, just nicer graphics. So I don't have anyone to play with, until I get my new computer (soon I hope).

Of course, Barren Moon will be a totally different kind of game, but it will use the El art, style, movement, etc.

And I will need EMPTY maps (that is, no structure, but rivers, some mountains, little vegetation, etc.)

Sounds like something that could be autogenerated.

thing is, EL1 and EL2 will have completely different forms of gameplay. The graphics will be about the same too. Nothing better anyway. So they are like 2 different games..you play which every you like, or both ;)

Like I said, we need map makers.

@Leeloo yes, it could be generated randomly, but a map generated by a human will always look better.