Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Screw You Guys, I'm Coming Back (well, Sort Of)

EL2 reasons no one will play.

1. Too expensive

2. Postage is too high for check to mail.

3. No one has paypal.com

4. Credit card is out of the questions for 13 yrs old.

5. No one has pay direct from yahoo.com

6. Games that require real life money = no young players or poor player sin rl.

7. No teens has a checking account.

8. p2p that lag . any thing over 100 ms lag

9. p2p that has scammers.

Top 1 reason to play EL2: no more teens around that can't stop bitching about having to pay for a fun game.

guys, we didn't even bging working at it yet. I mean, we are still discussing the technical details and I am writting the design document first.

Design document? Damn, you work more professionally that we do at work :angry:

The main reason I 'left' EL1 is because we didn't have a design document, so the game doesn't really look as I wanted it to look like (too many compromises, etc.).

8: Get a better connection. I have a ping between 45 and 56 ms, measured in game. This is a TCP ping, thus being a bit slower than a real ping, which gives 36-37 ms (as most games use UDP, you need a real ping to get any sensible results of comparing the numbers).

9: What's the problem with scammers? Only morons fall for them anyway.

8: Get a better connection. I have a ping between 45 and 56 ms, measured in game. This is a TCP ping, thus being a bit slower than a real ping, which gives 36-37 ms (as most games use UDP, you need a real ping to get any sensible results of comparing the numbers).

It's slower not ebcause of the TCP thing, but because the server actually responds to the emssage, so if the server is a little laoded, it might take it a few MS to reply.

Ok, after lots of talking and compromising and such, here is the deal:

I will start working at EL2, Learner (and maybe others) will work at EL1, and Roja will work at both.

EL2 will be very different from EL1, but some of the maps will be the same. It will also be a P2P game, no public alpha or beta testing. We will select those who we want to test the game, and we know who we will select. I estimate EL2 to become beta in the summer of 2005. More info about it later, I'll keep you up to date.

Oh yes, and it won't be a game for power gamers, it will involve strategy, a LOT of teamwork, player built cities, common research, maybe some city wars, etc.

Will the names be posted on the forums? Or is it like... a secret?

It's slower not ebcause of the TCP thing, but because the server actually responds to the emssage, so if the server is a little laoded, it might take it a few MS to reply.

TCP will always be a bit slower, since it needs to travel up a the more complex TCP stack. It may not be much, but it is slower. UDP has less complexity, and a real ping using ICMP is faster than both, as it is the IP stack itself (part of the OS) that replies, it doesn't need to wait for userspace, like TCP or UDP.

But once we're talking about 40 vs 100 ms, it's not the server or IP-stack that matters. It's the distance between the player and the server. Changing to UDP may cut out one ms, but that's not going to matter unless you're on 127.0.0.1 :D

correct me if im wrong but isnt tcp more complicated because it has some error checking? surely if udp doesnt have any checking its faster untill the game adds error checking itself, but then whats the difference?

correct me if im wrong but isnt tcp more complicated because it has some error checking? surely if udp doesnt have any checking its faster untill the game adds error checking itself, but then whats the difference?

Yes, TCP/IP is connection based whilst UDP/IP just sends the packages without checking if they ever reach the recipient (or rather - there's just basic error checking with an error checksum in the UDP header) - if the recipient doesn't get the package in a TCP connection it'll be resend untill it's recieved without errors. This makes UDP the best choice for i.e. VOIP as you can live with some noise on the line, however you wouldn't want to have a delay due to error correction.

Cisco.com has some good and easy-to-read papers on the OSI model and network theory if you want to know more.

EL2 reasons no annoying people will play.

1. Too expensive

If it's a good game, they'll pay.

2. Postage is too high for check to mail.

Return some bottles or mow the lawn for Mommy. Geez...

3. No one has paypal.com

Huh?

4. Credit card is out of the questions for 13 yrs old.

Ya! No 13-year-olds!

5. No one has pay direct from yahoo.com

Get PayPal.

6. Games that require real life money = no young players or poor player sin rl.

Ya! No young players to annoy me!

7. No teens has a checking account.

Ya! No young players to annoy me!

P2P = Money = Better h/w

Ya! No dumb people to annoy me! Or at least they won't last long once they get scammed and leave.

let me clarifie number 3 for you : no one has a www.paypal.com

no one has a real life account like a saving account or a checking acct to link to

www.paypal.com to pay for EL2 .

btw i have these accts that i mentions in rl.

but these r only for emergency money only .

not to waste on fruitless game that has bugs every other day of the week

let me clarifie number 3 for you : no one has a www.paypal.com

no one has a real life account like a saving account or a checking acct to link to

www.paypal.com to pay for EL2 .

btw i have these accts that i mentions in rl.

but these r only for emergency money only .

not to waste on fruitless game that has bugs every other day of the week

I have paypal. (paypal means paypal.com/paypal.co.uk)

I have a rl account i have linked to paypal.

Beta Testing = bug finding.

If you dont like it, go play something else.

Yea... i like the sound of the extra teamwork... We need more of that in MMORPGs

That's why we have guilds .. Lineage is great about team work needed to siege castles .

Tigger

leneage sucks nuts

Yea... i like the sound of the extra teamwork... We need more of that in MMORPGs

That's why we have guilds .. Lineage is great about team work needed to siege castles .

Tigger

leneage sucks nuts

Not to start anything, buy Lineage is a great game... El is better being it is

free..lol... but there is nothing like in any game the big sieges in Lineage.. and there are over 4 mil people playing it world wide now... but for the last 5 months i have been living on EL lol until i get burned out and bored of the same old thing day in day out.. then i will have to cut down playing and play other games to keep from getting burned out all the way..... and i will be one of the first to p2p EL.