Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Post Your Mature Ideas About The Harvesting

If you made it were you can only harvest say 200 of any pickaxe'd item per game hour. At 200, you get a message saying "Your muscles have atrophied, they simply cannot harvest any more."

And if you wanted--if somebody did harvest to the 200 point, then they would get X amount of damage from the shrinking of muscles. hehe. That would put a BIG damper on people who AFK harvest.

Well yes this would put a damper on macroers and afk auto-harvesters but for the rest of EL society that kind of is worthless. Lots of people do not have all day to play this game, able to wait to harvest for hours and hours and hours, only maybe chunks of time like an hour or 2 hours...so if I needed to make 500 potions or something, I couldn't do it in that 1 or 2 hour chunk of time...because I could only harvest 200 of something in a one hour time slot. So i couldn't even get one project done. And it applies to anything, almost everything done in EL relies on harvesting...crafting, alchemy, potions, magic (needs essences made with harvested ingredients), upper level manu items....

first of all, thanks for opening this thread, roja :D

and thanks to all of you who have managed to keep an appropriate tone and not start flaming again :D now at last we have a place to exchange thoughts and opinions on this topic..

in my humble opinion, these new features don't really have a positive effect, though - i know macroing is a problem, but with these adjustments at harvesting you are randomly annoying and even punishing all players, at most those who aren't high-levelled or not especially fighters while most probably keeping those who decide to play unfair and use macros at bay only for a short amount of time - this is contraproductive for the game and as has been said often enough shifts the balance towards the specialized fighters even more

i am usually not of the conservative kind, but why not keep it as it was, without some randomly occurring *mother nature*, stinging bees and ever-so-often breaking pickaxes? i don't see why we would need gloves to pluck flowers in the future, too.. there sure is a way to pointedly pick at those who drop their harvest that little bit too regularly into some bag or whatever without doing harm to all the players who just want to have fun with this game, i believe

i have not up to yet heard any opinion on what this does really *add* to the game, and that is what new features should do, shouldn't they? :D

Even if no one bothers to read this I'm adding my two cents on what should be changed:

--teleporting should be reduced, and PK maps should not be included

--instant kills for harvesting should be removed

--huge hp smacks should be either reduced or removed

--tool breakage isn't a bad idea but perhaps it's chance should be reduced slightly. Or new less breakable kinds of pickaxes are introduced.

And perhaps some sort of control mechanism can be added so that instead of smashing people who just started harvesting it hits people who've been harvesting for like 10-20 mins or have harvested large quantities. And perhaps have the chance and punishment reduced or made proportional to the person's total HP and harvesting lvl.

Now the concept of light HP slaps and a little random beaming is a pretty clever way to deal with macroing. It does take the mononity out of harvesting as well. But instantly killing people is bad and will only drive away valid players till only the fighters are left.

Well that's my two cents.

Guest Sentok

What about introducing a duribility stat to weapons, armor, pickaxes et cetera. That way your item could take -damage-, and be repaired before it broke. Macroers would still break theirs, but anyone else should be able to easily repair their gear.

You could have it be an npc that walks around a small amout, to prevent a script from having a character walk to its coordinates as well.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Guest SFDFBair

I really dont like my posts being deleted,(freedon of speech thing and all)but let me try this again ...Why are all the harvesters taking the beating? I for one would not know a macro if it bit me in the arse...I enjoy games and enjoyed this one till i decided to quit playing(cant afford to carry 5 pickaxes and 20 br potions everytime i want 50 emeralds)..Now dont get me wrong i am not verbally bludgening anyone but i do feel the frequency of explosions and breakage of tools is way out of line..as far as i can tell not many like this new change and i feel it should be changed back or at least drasticly deminished ...in conclusion let me add YES i was more than willing to "pay for play " on this game i really did enjoy it that much ......please feel free to delete this message if it is not up to your standards of a correct response and what you want to hear :D

What about introducing a duribility stat to weapons, armor, pickaxes et cetera. That way your item could take -damage-, and be repaired before it broke. Macroers would still break theirs, but anyone else should be able to easily repair their gear.

You could have it be an npc that walks around a small amout, to prevent a script from having a character walk to its coordinates as well.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Sorry, no. It's been suggested about 5 times before, and rejected. Durability stat to each item means forcing the server to keep track of each and every piece of equipment in the game. Simply too much info.

-Lyn-

I think besides the obvious reason of trying to eliminate or hamper macroing, Entropy and Roja may be trying to have anothe reason.

Everyone is so used to making 1000 BR's a day, or making 500 tit bars in one sitting. Alot of people consider it to be normal. And when something like this comes along (which seem to be more prevelant) that will reduce the number of items created in one sitting or one day, then people hate it.

I, myself can't even play 1 hour a day anymore.

Maybe they are trying to "slow the progress" down. Trying to get people used to the idea that it's gonna take even longer to reach levels or manu items. It's beta, and so we will have to adjust as things change.

Remember, a game is a form of entertainment (and so should be as entertaining as possible). It is not about advancing. It is about being entertained when we advance. I know that sounds redundant, but I think you see what I'm saying.

I think besides the obvious reason of trying to eliminate or hamper macroing, Entropy and Roja may be trying to have anothe reason.

Everyone is so used to making 1000 BR's a day, or making 500 tit bars in one sitting. Alot of people consider it to be normal. And when something like this comes along (which seem to be more prevelant) that will reduce the number of items created in one sitting or one day, then people hate it.

I, myself can't even play 1 hour a day anymore.

Maybe they are trying to "slow the progress" down. Trying to get people used to the idea that it's gonna take even longer to reach levels or manu items. It's beta, and so we will have to adjust as things change.

Remember, a game is a form of entertainment (and so should be as entertaining as possible). It is not about advancing. It is about being entertained when we advance. I know that sounds redundant, but I think you see what I'm saying.

Bah, I get it...:D

I hate when I don't like something but its a valid point <_<

I think this has been a great idea, it certainly adds a new aspect to the the game. I have just harvested 3k in coal and it didnt take me much longer than usual, i got teleported 6 times twice to a pk map but i just beamed straight out. I think people should just calm down and give it all a chance and see what happens, it may have good effects on the economy, especially on teleport rings. :D

Congratz to Entropy for a brillaint idea :D

The only problems I see with it are:

1, Teleporting people to PK/monster filled maps.. a safe map is enough to stop a macro. :/ That's a FAST way to get a newbie to quit.. Soon as they start picking flowers, it teleports them.. "oh! look! a fluffy white rabbit!" *newbie attacks it* *it eats newbie* *newbie gets ticked and quits*

2, And newbies getting mother nature p*ssed.. seriously, I see people taking 19 damage from that, and you only start with 20 health. :/ picking flowers is more dangerous than chimeran wolves, to a newbie.

So, with that, my ideas for improvement are:

• Teleporting needs to, at VERY least, not send you to dangerous maps. My vote is, at worst, teleporting to a safe map, Or just teleporting you across the map your on, with the chance being decreased. That'll still ruin macro'ers, I'd think, and be a lot less of a nuisance to honest players.
  • Damage from bees, mother nature, radon blasts, etc. needs to be significantly decreased, or based on HP. As stated, 50 HP from a radon blast(or was it a wall falling? either way..) is fatal to a lot of people who aren't fighters...
  • The experience bonuses need to be removed, decreased, or altered to be based on your harvesting level, I've seen people get as much as 1500, that's multiple levels for a newbie...
  • Finding bags of gold.. people are making more money off of harvesting than selling the harvested. I think the amount should be decreased, removed altogether, or, as previously suggested by Derin, be changed to double/triple/quadruple the amount of the item your harvesting.

My two and a half cents.

Ok, Im not gonna say anything about the new harvesting system, since there are plenty of people who did so already.

Oops, now I did it after all.... :lol:

Ahem...I moved every post of yours to the flames except for one in which I responded to this mess.

If however, you want to be mature about things, and offer some good ideas/suggestions and constructive critisism, you may post here concerning the new harvesting thing.

Please read rule #12 in the forum rules if something is unclear:

12. No bitching, spamming, or insulting about something in the game. Complaints ARE allowed, but if you're going to complain about something, then try doing it in a meaningful, and positive manner. First take time BEFORE jumping into a post and THINK about what you're complaining about. Then state what you have a problem with, and also provide solutions to the problem, or ask people if they have any. Do NOT insult people, such as the creators of the game who have worked hard to bring you a FREE game, because they do want this game to be the best it can be.

Here is my response to this harvesting stuff:

Anyway, obviously what needs to happen is to remove the pkmaps from the list of teleportation spots, and to make the stuff happen a little less often and everything should be ok.

Nothing to say now... you hit it just right what needs to be fixed about it... i found it a lot of fun after i started playing with it.... good job of making the game fun again :)

Tigger

Is it just my bad luck again? I died 3 times in 30 mins, from which 2 times were when I was above 50 hp (instant death, or what is this?). Besides that, I got around 14 damage like 5 times, lost 5 pickaxes and got teleported 5 times. This all happened in 2 hours (from which about 30 mins effective harvesting), and the positive things I get? 67 gold yay! I think there should really change something like many people have suggested before, or there will be no manufacturers left in this game. I think only the teleporting and destroyed pickaxes are more than enough to 'get rid' of the macroers. As of the positive events, I don't mind them being gone if only the teleporting and damaged pickaxes stay.

GP

Guest monkey_bone9876

Entorpy this has really got to stop in the spanned of 1 hour harvesting fruit in portland i was teleported 12 time bees attcked me 15 time mother natuer got mad at me and did damge to me 27 time and i just died 5 times once again this has to stop!!!!!!! :):):angry::angry::angry:

I just played for a short time to see those events and it is definately not improving gameplay. It would simply put an end to the harvester/alchemy characters which present about half of the el community.

Let me first state I agree something has to be done against the macroers. However this is not the right way since the honoust people are the ones that are affected.

Maybe limit harvesting based on your vitality and will. This will make the players choose these attributes before for example physique which seems to be the most popular attribute out there.

Example:

Player X has 10 will and 20 vitality

He can harvest: 10x20x5= 1000 times an hour.

This will still not be enough for the real alchemists out there.

New players can harvest 4x4x5=80 times an hour.

hmmm... maybe this suggestion ain't such a good idea.

I only have 4 will and 4 vitality. :) :lol:

Pickaxe breaking is ok with me, but should be less frequent. Teleporting should be removed completely, or restricted to safe maps only. Also, no single event should take more than total MP of the player, so you can't die from the single event. And, of course, make positive events more often :)

most likely the effects would be better if lowlevel effects where connected to low level items and so on. and maybe use a kind of time scale so that the more time someone stays within the same harvest area the more likely a effect happens, or is it that way allready i wonder...

the good stuff is that this adds more to harvesting, before it was to static. the bad thing is that it seems the effects are unbalanced (teleported for harvesting flowers? a beesting maybe)...

like someone pointed out (i think it was ravenod), we have gotten used to a almost industrial level of production. this atleast lowers that a bit as people cant just sit down and harvest 300 items without anything happening.

other then that i allways say that we should give changes time before condeming them to hell as most often the first thing that happens is a gut reaction against change rather then a rational investigation into the effects of said change. alltho rojas raction to the gut ractions seems that have taken care of that problem as i see a lot of nice, rational post here in this thread. keep it up people...

other then that i allways say that we should give changes time before condeming them to hell as most often the first thing that happens is a gut reaction against change rather then a rational investigation into the effects of said change. alltho rojas raction to the gut ractions seems that have taken care of that problem as i see a lot of nice, rational post here in this thread. keep it up people...

You must agree, being teleported to tahraji after having picked 2 flowers, right after making your character ..isn't a good thing. :/

any1 remember when cindy suggested that we should need over 0 food level to harvest (easily) or whatever once entropy added it everone went nuts yelling at cindy and complaining but look at it now nobody even minds! give it a chance peopleicon12.gif

i read about half of these posts because i have no idea what anyone is talking about, but i've come to conclusion ent put in some harvestng events =P

this will definatelly stop macroers but i think this idea needs to be approached in a better way

What ravenod said about becoming tired after a certain amount of harvests was a good idea. Strength should play some role in how long you can harvest for.

The idea of good/bad events isnt bad... but it should be in designated areas. Like cave 1 is sorta unstable and cave ins occur, but! its close to storage. Cave 2 has some radioactive material in it, which may be uncovered while mining, but! it has no monsters in it. Cave 3 has some hard minerals that grow the near the raw ores, so theres a greater chance of having a pick break, but! its somewhat close to storage. Then there is a cave thats farther than all of those, but all the bad/good events are less likely to happen there. That way bad shit still happens, but ALOT less often, so theres more variety, there are ways to avoid it, but that will require some work.

But some ores like titanium, you have no choice but to go to the one place where its found and that place has something bad there. That way, titanium items will be worth ALOT more, thus, day old players wont be able to get their hands on titanium long swords

And this would require the current caves to be broken up into groups of smaller caves scattered around the map, maybe like each cave has only 1 type of ore in it. That way you dont have every ore in one area with all of them the same distance from the storage.

And cave-ins shouldnt be player oriented, but CAVE oriented, so overyone is affected by it, might be a bit more interesting that way =D

And for flowers. Maybe bees can become a creature? And roses can prick you every once and again. And flowers that grow in bushes can cause your glove to tear cuz it gets caught on a twig or branch?

And the good events... should be getting 1+ resource at a time, or maybe if your mining, you can find some sort of fossil or object or SOMETHING like that, and it can be used for... enchating something?

whattaya think roja? Ent?

Hi there,

after harvesting a little bit, my suggestion is:

Remove this whole crap.

To get rid of macroers, you can simply have teleports nearby your actual position. 1-2 squares away so that the autoclick will not go on any item and the "You are too far away" message comes.

And after the server detects, lets say 100 "you are too far away" messages in a row, disconnect this client.

Normal players or players with an auto harvester client will stand up and walk 2-3 steps and continue harvesting.

AFK macroers will continue harvesting "you are too far away messages". And thats, i think, what you want. Stop afk macroers.

Other thoughts:

I like the suggestion of breaking pickaxes and having various axes or daggers to cut plants. Or, at least for every harvestable item have one special tool.

Getting damage while harvesting isnt unrealistic, but not so often and so hard. It is realistic that you get hurt in a mine because a stone falls on your head. But not every 5 minutes.

Just my 2 cents.

Piper

ya instead of teleporting to a different map, teleport to the same area, but 2-3 might put them in a different area but STILL in a spot where they can harvest, 15-20, then the player will walk back and be thankful that hes not being raped by a player in a PK map =D. But maybe instead of the nexus teleporting you to a space not too far away, it DOES send you to another map, but that is not as common

i like alot of the ideas here, but none of the events should be gotten rid of, cuz that gets no one anywhere

Ok, mikeh

to be more precisely and take the good things of mine and your post, lets say this:

Teleport the player to an area nearby where harvesting is impossible.

If im in MM and harvest roses, i wont like to get teleported to the winery and then run back 5 minutes.

But if i got kicked on Tankels lap it would not be so much disturbing.

And its enough if this happens only 1 times an hour. So the macroers are off after at least one hour and cant harvest all day and night.

I think, its a little bit of work to find an area for every resource where you cant harvest which is not too far away from the resource. That wouldnt disturb ppl so much then getting teleported to other maps.

Piper

15-20 spaces isnt a 5 minute walk =P. I meant you get teleported to a space that just barely has teh resource you were mining off the screen, 2 or 3 clicks and your back, not so bad ;D. And theres a VERY slim chance of getting teleported to a spot on another map.

but yes i think that some of the location of resources need to be thought out some more. What i think would be awesome beyond all belief is to redo alot of the current mines. Split up each resource, instead of having all of them in one cave. Like DP would have 12(not the size of CC) caves in it, use the object ID's of the ore for the events, so it wont be map oriented. Safe caves will be far from storage (ex. evergreen forest) and bad ones would be close.

And maybe we could introduce maps that can be bought that point out where each spot is located. Depending on the ore, prices vary.

and this could help people getting an insane income from one type of resource, they get about 100 of ore A and ore B, make about 20 swords