Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Monsters Invasions

A brilliant idea, the thought of players forming a militia like defence of the towns from the invading hordes gives even a lowly alchemist or potion maker the ability to contribute to the greater good... envisions fighters and high level mages holding back the goblin horde while potion and ess makers resupply from storage and the armour and weapon makers re arm the walking tin cans hacking and slashing the monsters back  :P

I'll like to build on this idea.

Would it be possible to create or modify an NPC in each town to become the militia representative for that particular town? Players then sign up to pledge allegiance to one city or another, using the same sort of system that the god quests currently use. It doesn't have to be all the cities - I suggest WSC, Portland, Nordcarn, Mynadar and Corren only. Pledging yourself to a particular city would disqualify you from pledging to others, of course, and have certain benefits for it's militia.

-> WSC-pledged players can get discounts with Mira or Victor.

-> Portland-pledged players can get discounts with magic shop or swordsmith.

-> Corren-pledged players can get discounts at Harvy

-> Nordcarn-pledged players get a NPC that buys certain things otherwise unsellable to NPCs (like maybe polished gems or something...you could write that in as a necessary ingredient for rockets)

-> Mynadar-pledged players may get an NPC that gives them a free heal every hour or so (for all the KF fighters).

But likewise, there would be duties involved. If the map you're supposed to defend isn't rid of the monsters after XX number of minutes, then EVERYONE (as in, every single player that pledged allegiance, whether currently online or not) gets kicked from the town allegiance and loses their benefits. I'm hoping, of course, that this will lead to greater player cooperation and a bit of role-playing, since they are motivated to work together and keep their benefits. I'm sure there could be other sorts of punishments thought up to prevent players from just signing up without commitment, if you think these are too light.

-Lyn-

Now THAT is a GREAT idea!!!!

-So when the broadcast comes on that such and so map is being attacked, then all people who pledged to that particular city/map must drop what they are doing and grab armour and weapons and go defend it?

-In theory thats a great idea but what if those people aren't online? Do they get penalized? Or what if only one person is and valiantly does his/her best but still loses? Should that person be penalized because 1 person is no defense against 5 fluffies?

Yeah, I know... I made the kick applicable to all players of a town, because it might be easier to program that way. But if it can be applied specifically to those players that are online, then it would be better.

And if one player can't defend it himself, he can always hire others :)

[TM] might finally live up to it's name... :P

-Lyn-

This could work like this . To join city militia you should deposit let's say 5k gc. Every time the militia looses the "war" with monsters a 1000 gc is removed from all city militians. If is won 1000 gc should be added to each member who was online at the time of batle.

Question .... If the monsters will attack anyone regarlkess of mm perk what is the meaning of mm perk ?

-Also what about quitting? Kind of like guilds, there should be some penalty for joining then just abandoning your map...

-Although...lol, on the other hand, a person should be able to leave if he finds the other people who signed on with him don't contribute, either...for example, if they are never online when the attacks occur...or possibly somebody would get booted if they are absent 5 times in a row...

-I don't think its fair for somebody to get kicked though if they are the only one there defending and they still lose...would there be a limit as to how many people can sign up to defend a map?

A brilliant idea, the thought of players forming a militia like defence of the towns from the invading hordes gives even a lowly alchemist or potion maker the ability to contribute to the greater good... envisions fighters and high level mages holding back the goblin horde while potion and ess makers resupply from storage and the armour and weapon makers re arm the walking tin cans hacking and slashing the monsters back  :D

I'll like to build on this idea.

Would it be possible to create or modify an NPC in each town to become the militia representative for that particular town? Players then sign up to pledge allegiance to one city or another, using the same sort of system that the god quests currently use. It doesn't have to be all the cities - I suggest WSC, Portland, Nordcarn, Mynadar and Corren only. Pledging yourself to a particular city would disqualify you from pledging to others, of course, and have certain benefits for it's militia.

-> WSC-pledged players can get discounts with Mira or Victor.

-> Portland-pledged players can get discounts with magic shop or swordsmith.

-> Corren-pledged players can get discounts at Harvy

-> Nordcarn-pledged players get a NPC that buys certain things otherwise unsellable to NPCs (like maybe polished gems or something...you could write that in as a necessary ingredient for rockets)

-> Mynadar-pledged players may get an NPC that gives them a free heal every hour or so (for all the KF fighters).

But likewise, there would be duties involved. If the map you're supposed to defend isn't rid of the monsters after XX number of minutes, then EVERYONE (as in, every single player that pledged allegiance, whether currently online or not) gets kicked from the town allegiance and loses their benefits. I'm hoping, of course, that this will lead to greater player cooperation and a bit of role-playing, since they are motivated to work together and keep their benefits. I'm sure there could be other sorts of punishments thought up to prevent players from just signing up without commitment, if you think these are too light.

-Lyn-

Great ideas almost like FFOnline except the monsters never attacked the cities (which they should have :D )

I can't wait, then again in FFOnline I was a lv. 85 Dragoon, so I could handle mostly anything, and in EL I'm a oa.32 fool who just sits in odd storage places and does nothing so that might be a problem :D

Awesome idea though Ent and Roja (whom I understand pushed for it)! I support it 180%!!!!!

Hmm...mihaim's post sent my thoughts off in a new direction...

Okay, how about this then: Make the militia NPC something like a combination between a storage NPC and a shopkeeper. It'll accept all items donated to the war effort (weapons, armors, certain potions, certain essences), and give you City Development Points (I don't want gc, because then it becomes a money-multiplier). You initially start off with 100 points. Donating XX amount of items to the NPC of your city nets you a certain number of points. That's to allow the non-fighters to contribute.

For fighters, after the broadcast, you should rush to the NPCs (therefore, those NPCs should be placed in fairly accessible locations) to register for the defense. Registering for the defence will put a tracer on you, and tracks how many and what type of enemies you killed. The more or the harder the enemies, the larger the number of points earned.

If all the monsters on a map are not defeated after a certain time, then all those players online get points deducted by the number/difficulty of the monsters remaining. To prevent this, they have to either fight the monsters themselves, or hire people with gold coins to do so for them (of course, hiring non-pledged players to defend your own city nets you no points - that's just the price you have to pay). If your points are reduced to 0, you are kicked from the city (since you have done nothing to contribute to it). You can change allegiance to another city, of course, but you lose all your current points with your previous city.

Points can be used to redeem certain things from the militia NPCs at reduced rates, like maybe 50 points for 20 BR's. They will only sell combat-related goods, of course, for points only, and only to their militia. Points may also be used to redeem other things, like discounts at certain shops (see above), or maybe even housing rights (this should require something like 2 billion points, though). If you want to populate the cities with NPCs eventually, you can make some of them charge points (and thus only available to militia) for special services (like free healing, etc).

This should have the benefit of also taking a lot of items out of the game, provided that the points system is sufficiently well-designed to reward high-point scorers with intangible/expendable rewards, rather than long-lasting ones.

-Lyn-

So really its just like using the attack god or magic god...you give them stuff and defend the city and you get a reward...

I guess so... can you come up with any ideas? I'm open to suggestions...

The trouble is, I'm not sure whether it would be better to make it a guild-like thing (in which case, items donated should be shared), or god-quest like thing, or even something else entirely. And the fact that most fighters are antisocial doesn't help much, because then the discounts system doesn't work.

-Lyn-

This whole monster invasion thing is going to make the community stronger because:

1.) The people complaining will leave, but who needs them if they are gonna leave?

2.) Everyone must work together and protect eachother (bad for antisocial players, and not antisocial perk, i mean the people who don't talk to others)

-In theory it would be good to make it guild-like, if that can be done while people remain in their own guilds...but there should be something to unify everybody who pledges to the same city/map.

-Possibly the items donated would be useful items that could be used in the defense of the map...for all people who fight to use...it also would be a way for others to contribute and earn points if they don't fight or fight well but still want to participate.

-Also we could have our own channel to communicate on...maybe when we sign up there is a place to mention what time zone one is in or when one would be online...

Ah, I've got it then! :D :D

Okay, keeping with the points system, but modifying it slightly...

All items donated are stored, but it's a one-way thing. You cannot withdraw the items used UNTIL there is an attack on your city. Then, when you register for the defence (and both fighters and non-fighters can do so), you get access to the withdrawals screen and can withdraw as many items as you need to fight the creatures or pay mercenaries to do so.

You need to pay points to withdraw the items, though, so that would be the incentive to contribute more to the city. Non-fighters, therefore, can gain points more easily than fighters, since they can make and donate a lot of things, but also have to spend more points (to pay others to fight for them). Fighters, on the other hand, just gain points through defending, but spend points on withdrawing things like potions that the non-fighters have stored away.

At some level, though, there should be a limit as to how many items can be stored. Something like maybe 500 BR's or MR's, and any excess donations just disappear (although the players still get points for donating them).

What I'm afraid of, though, is that this makes point-gaining too easy. Maybe, if the monsters aren't cleared out by a timespan of 1 hour after the broadcast, you lose a LOT of points (or are reduced to 100 again...). Timezones and channel communications - I'll leave up to the players. Eventually, one enterprising person or another will create a website for all the defenders of the same city to band together.

-Lyn-

Guest SFDFBair

I kinda like this idea ,,i mean really .how many times does a community in real life have to band together because of an outside threat.a cohesive force against an agressive intruder :D ...WONDERFULL IDEA . kudos to the man who invented it

I kinda like this idea ,,i mean really .how many times does a community in real life have to band together because of an outside threat.a cohesive force against an agressive intruder :D ...WONDERFULL IDEA . kudos to the man who invented it

This isn't real life. You musn't play RPG's because stuff like this goes on all the time in fantasy games :D

I like it!!! However, maybe still have another way to spend the points, some people would use their own armour and pots possibly...However if someone used their points to withdraw equipment and pots, they could use that as payment for the mercenaries also...I guess it could be used any way they pleased?

-Why a limit on how much can be stored? Things like health essences would need lots more than 500 for a team defending a city...and we would still have to pay points to get them so what would be the purpose in limiting that? Especially since they can't be withdrawn unless the call to defend came...

-Yes I agree there should be a time limit...are these monsters here indefinitely until somebody kills them? And if somebody who hasn't volunteered kills the monster, does that still count for us?

The limit is for two reasons:

1) Prevents abuse. (Someone could skip one battle, and just withdraw everything from storage, then quit the allegiance). Setting limits on how many items would stop them. Or maybe, setting limits on how many items can be withdrawn in one battle, but having unlimited amounts for storage might be better...

2) Again, it helps to take items out of the game (yes, I'm obsessed with that sometimes... :D)

Of course, different items will have different limits. I'm just using 500 for the BRs and MRs. (When you think about it, that's like 100 pots just to take down a fluffy, if there are only 5 of them...). HE's can have a higher quantity, weapons lower, etc.

-Lyn-

How about an NPC named something like "Sir Arthur".

He appears in any map that is being invaded.

So normally Sir Arthur resides in X map. If you want to sign up for the Defense Force, then you talk to him. Give him X number of gold coins, and you're in.

You're bravery points are set to 10.

When the call comes that an invasion is happening, you must be in that map in under 2 minutes. Otherwise your bravery points reduce by 5. If they reach a negative number, then you are kicked out.

But if you get to the map and defeat the monsters, then talk to him after he teleports back to his residence, then your bravery increases by 5.

While the invasion is happening, you can talk to him and get information on the coordinates of the original monster spawn, withdraw a few body rests, etc...

When you reach certain bravery point levels, like 100, 200, 500, 1000.... then he will give you a special piece of armor with the Crest of the Defense Force. So the really hardcore people could eventually end up with a full set of unique armor, and maybe a weapon.

Just tried to incorporate the ideas previously mentioned with my own.

Thanks.

My idea on the time limit: After say, 20 minutes, reduce the amount of points the defenders have by 1 per minute. That way Theý will do their best to hurry, but they wont lose everything if somehow they can't succeed.

Just love your ideas Lyanna :)

I like this idea a lot. :) It will be very funny to see people get into the houses quickly when they see a chim wolf closing in. :) I will be the first to hide in the tavern.

There is one problem that remains: will the animals also attack NPCs like Raven and Molgor? I could not imagine the game without a storage but it would be unrealistic if Molgor stays outside while he is surrounded by a bunch of fluffies. Maybe the storage NPCs can dissapear during these events? This will also give the players an indication they should be careful in this region.

hmm .. don't think this has been asked but maybe it has.

the monsters are allowed in caves and such .. does this mean they will be able to freely move between caves and the main map?

or is it that if they start in a cave that they will be confined there? :unsure:

I asked ent this, he said they can go through caves but not into houses and places like Vermor catle (they already have baddies)

When the call comes that an invasion is happening, you must be in that map in under 2 minutes. Otherwise your bravery points reduce by 5. If they reach a negative number, then you are kicked out.

Yes there should be a time limit to get there but 2 minutes is way too short...odds are we will be in the middle of doing something and will have to get stuff put away in storage or what have you...at LEAST 5 minutes to take care of whatever business you are doing and then to get to the appropriate map. Maybe more, since it seems that these creatures will be there until the end of time unless somebody kills them.

Question: You say they will attack anyone, reguardless of mm perk or cloak. What about defense level? Will goblins auto attack people that have over 21 defense, unlike in regular maps?