Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna

What Sort Of Quests Do You Like?

Well, I was initially planning to do a poll, but then I realised it was too complex for that, since people might like more than one sort. But anyway, just out of curiosity, what kind of quests do you like?

Collecting Quests - These sort of quests usually ask you to collect X number of items and bring them to Person Y. They are ranged in difficulty mainly by the rarity/cost of the items to be collected. The God Quests in EL are good examples of this.

Search Quests - These sort of quests usually involve looking for that one particular item/place and doing something there. The range of difficulty lies in the way the directions are phrased, and sometimes sorting out the wrong place/items from the right ones. The search for Ertan and Kelcha's diary are examples of this, as well as some player-organised manhunts.

Fighting Quests - These sort of quests usually involve large numbers of monsters or one particularly difficult monster that you are supposed to kill. The difficulty, of course, lies in the combat strength of your opponents. EL has none of these quests yet, but some of the player-organised wars and events are like this.

Diplomacy Quests - These sort of quests are almost entirely word-based, and involve talking to various people to try and convince them of your arguments. The difficulty lies in choosing the right arguments to use out of a range of right and wrong choices, as well as picking out the important details. EL has none of these quests yet.

Puzzle Quests - These sort of quests usually involve riddles or puzzles where you have to slowly piece together clues to find out the final solution. Usually, they are very obscure and need a lot of thinking/intuition. The difficulty, of course, lies in the puzzles/riddles. EL also has none of these yet, although the irrigation part of the Winery quest comes close.

So what do you guys think? Which quests do you like the most - or is there a combination of them that you like? Can you suggest any other types?

Also, there are a few other questions:

1) Do you guys prefer to have quests with multiple solutions/ways of solving it, or do you prefer straightforward quests?

2) Do you think there should be a lot of background info/lore involved (like the NPC quests), or just minimal (like the god quests)?

3) Do you think rewards are appropriate, and if so - what sort of rewards? Experience? Rankings? Items? New options? A warm fuzzy feeling and a sense of achievement?

4) Do you think everyone should have the opportunity to complete all the quests and all get the same thing, or should there be definite chances of failure, competitions between players to solve quests first, and/or multiple factions which do not allow you to do quests for their enemies?

5) How big a scale do you think a quest should be? Should it be like a single-player quest, where you can solve it all by yourself, or should there be group quests, or even planet-wide quests? Should the effects of the quest affect other players, or just yourself?

Anyone want to answer? :(

-Lyn-

I like search quests, puzzle quests, (and once i am stong enough to do them) Fighting quests. though i kinda felt the meaning of the quests becomes shallow when ent puts a reward to the first person to complete it. maybe the reward should be something small but useful, different rewards for different kinds of quests. i like the rewards for the first two, cheap wine and a blacksmith that can fix stuff, but maybe add like a little bit of exp once you finish. like for a fighting quest, maybe 5k attk and deffense exp, along with a fighting book. for a puzzle quest, maybe 2 pickpoints are added to your instinct count and a little bit of magic exp. the reward should depend on the quest, not a shallow 'first to finish gets 10k.' EVERYONE needs a little prize once in a while :)

I really like the idea of big group quests; maybe make a reinactment of the mortos war and see if everyone can work together to hold the orcs off. :D

It would be very appropriate to have multiple ways of solving a quest, take the wine quest for example. you could either shoot one of those little rockets in the air, or find an irrigation system, or draw water from caves or something. they definately need multiple answers. B)

there also should be SOME failure, but not to the point where the quest is too frustrating. :(

and lastly, I'd really like to see some backround in these quests, but not to a nauseating point. have some fun quests, then some deep, serious quests. ;)

Personally, I prefer Killing quests...the novelty of fighting in EL hasn't worn off yet :lol: .

Anyway:

-I like multiple solutions. Straightforward is done by everyone else, so let's be more unique.

-Medium background and lore, but some that makes sense in the setting

-I'd like Rankings/Items for rewards (Hm, maybe we should figure out what people want from the "Types of Players in MUDS")

-I think there should not be chances of failure, but I would prefer having factions not allowing you/allowing you to do quests.

-I think these quests should have some group interaction, but would prefer to stay away from "planet-wide" quests.

my favorit is puzzle but i really like when there all rolled into one

and as crusadingknught said

Anyway:
-I like multiple solutions. Straightforward is done by everyone else, so let's be more unique.

Doesn't really matter, there won't be new quests.

Who said that? ;-)

There are few projects of quests which will be organised by moderators as in game events so you have

to disallow us making quests then to say such things. ;-P

Regards.

What I meant is hat I will not implement any permanent quests, like the few ones we have. If others want to hold quest like events, sure, that's ok.

Ent, if it's about my PM, there are ways to work around it... it's just going to be a bit difficult, that's all. You can still go ahead with the quests - I just need some tiny modifications to be made to the NPC scripts to allow for better integration.

-Lyn-

What I meant is hat I will not implement any permanent quests, like the few ones we have. If others want to hold quest like events, sure, that's ok.

entropy said hat :(

Ent, if it's about my PM, there are ways to work around it... it's just going to be a bit difficult, that's all. You can still go ahead with the quests - I just need some tiny modifications to be made to the NPC scripts to allow for better integration.

-Lyn-

It's not only you, others complain as well, and I am sick and tired to work at something people only complain about.

(Hm, maybe we should figure out what people want from the "Types of Players in MUDS")

Yes, I know...that's also why I'm posting this thread. Before I write any more Event Quest Arcs or player-based quests, I want to find out what sort of quests they actually WANT. If you look at the two I've already written, you'd notice that one is a Search/Fighting quest arc (Unlucky ...), whereas the other is a pure Fighting one (Siege of ...). I've got a third one in mind which is a Puzzle/Search/Diplomacy/Collecting combo, and a fourth which is a Puzzle/Search.

-Lyn-

-Lyn-

It's not only you, others complain as well, and I am sick and tired to work at something people only complain about.

Well, okay... I understand that. Maybe the result of these questions can help you design quests that are more suited to what the players want. I'll help in any way you need - just ask. Please don't give up so quickly... :unsure:

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

well i like the quests - any variation will do - and implement any storyline you like, as far as i can see it's going fine so far.

well i like the quests - any variation will do - and implement any storyline you like, as far as i can see it's going fine so far.

You MIGHT like them, but most of the players don't.

i found them good cos they set a background to the land, were actually quite informative about rl stuff too, and forced me to trawl around the maps exploring and learning about the place.

You MIGHT like them, but most of the players don't.

I like them.

I certainly like the quests. But i also respect the fact that different people have different tastes.

AFAIK, people can just choose to do the quest's or not, right? To be honest, it isnt totaly hindering their gameplay if they dont choose to do a certain quest, because they heard about it, and dont like the idea of it.

I personally like the Diplomacy, Puzzle and Fighting ways of doing quests, but I enjoy doing any of them.

Perhaps if each and every type of these quests was implemented, there would be no quarrels; people would do the quests they like the idea of, and ignore the ones they dont?...right? :P

As for scalability of quests, this is tough. But i honestly believe, that if a quest were to go on, for say a matter of in-game days, there would be a much greater sense of achievement (and reward, if its worth doing it)..But i can only speak for myself.

(P.S Lyanna - you have to be a teacher of some sort :P)

hey like quest that allow you get stuff cheaper. Hey also maybe add more quest higher rank for different gods and I don't mean type gather more of this much item I am think like some quest actual talk to different to completed to get high ranking.

I certainly like the quests. But i also respect the fact that different people have different tastes.

AFAIK, people can just choose to do the quest's or not, right? To be honest, it isnt totaly hindering their gameplay if they dont choose to do a certain quest, because they heard about it, and dont like the idea of it.

I personally like the Diplomacy, Puzzle and Fighting ways of doing quests, but I enjoy doing any of them.

Perhaps if each and every type of these quests was implemented, there would be no quarrels; people would do the quests they like the idea of, and ignore the ones they dont?...right? :P

As for scalability of quests, this is tough. But i honestly believe, that if a quest were to go on, for say a matter of in-game days, there would be a much greater sense of achievement (and reward, if its worth doing it)..But i can only speak for myself.

(P.S Lyanna - you have to be a teacher of some sort :P)

I think there needs to be clarification about what exactly people don't like about the current quests - is the the MECHANISM (type of quests - see above)? Is it the STORYLINE (Sci-Fi, characterization, etc.)? Or is it the REWARD (not enough, too much, wrong type, etc.)?

Yeah, I like long-running quests too...my next one (after the other two in the C.H. forums have been settled) should take at least a week to solve (I hope).

And why do you think I'm a teacher, Placid? :)

-Lyn-

Well, take the armor repair quest for instance.

It is definately a good quest. Its quite long, intruiging, good storyline and the reward is relevant....you need it with high eq.

I personally dont like the sci-fi idea's brought in. ALthough, i know that Ent wanted some sci-fi aspects to the game, but i dont think it fits with the theme of Eternal Lands. However, its original, and it certainly doesnt spoil anything.

Also, i cant speak for everyone else, but i think that the recent quests are fine in the way of 'integration' into the game. So i dont feel anyone is doing anything wrong, the good thing about this game is that 99% of it, is purely original.

(As for the teacher comment, your very analytical and thorough, both traits of a [good] teacher :P, but your probably not....:P )

People don't like the ScFi part in the quests, because hey, if a game LOOKS medieval it should eb 100% medieval and respect all the medieval patterns, otherwise it sucks.

I dont think the sci-fi sucks, i just prefer the medievil part. Like i said, it was integrated into the game well, and the storyline was good, so it certainly didnt spoil anything.

I think currently, the game could work with both themes, it would also reach a wider audience, as long as its pulled off right.

Yes, I largely agree with Placid. I'm an avid fan of both Sci-Fi as well as Fantasy, so it's not like I have a prejudice against it. However, that's not the real problem I have with the script, Ent. It's not so much the content as the techniques - there HAVE been good mixtures of Sci-Fi & Fantasy before (eg. Anne McCaffrey's "Pern" series). The trouble is, while you have some good and interesting ideas, I feel that the way the storyline is revealed (the writing technique and integration) is sorely lacking. That's the part I disagree with Placid about.

The content is fine. It's the STYLE that's the problem (for me at least).

(I can go into more detail if you want, but I'll just stick to this for the moment)

-Lyn-

Yeah, I like the wine quest's science fiction-ish touch, but missiles? no way. i came to this game because it was midevil BASED, and PLAYED like a midevil game,with chainmail, and swords, monsters and magic. But I don't want to play a game where it is midevil BASED, but PLAYED like a sci-fi game. I just don't want people cayying guns and missiles and all this new stuff-that's what i can look at the news for <_<

I'm just mentioning that this game should be AT LEAST 50% midevil, hearing about missiles and stuff only in quests and other things like them.