Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Encyclopedia Work

Messages that are send from player to player would have to be UTF8 as well to make a complete solution (if it was to be done it should be done 100%)

And happy easter :)

Please don't hesitate to comment on the semantic markup :D The image inclusion mechanism still needs some work on it, so that images can be extracted from texture files. I also think that it's probably best to put the image definitions into a seperate, language-independent file and use only reference names in the encyclopedia itself. The language tag will certainly get removed, since the language can be provided to the transformation by a global parameter. A mechanism to provide translations for labels, such as "Recommended skill level:" or "Required knowledge:" needs to be added. Alternatively, the transformation script could be made language-dependent, introducing more freedom but also more work for translators.

I am dropping the idea of using the current format for visual markup because it is very limiting and makes the transformation unnecessarily complex. I also think that XSL-FO isn't the best idea as it will be hard to cut its complex model down to suit our modest needs. Also, I fear that there might arise an increasing demand to include more and more of XSL-FO functionality into the Encyclopedia code :P So I'm currently fancying an own subset (again), but what do you think?

I thought of these properties of text that might be interesting, ordered by scope:

global

block progression direction (most languages: top-down, Chinese: left-to-right)

inline progression direction (English: left-to-right, Hebrew: right-to-left, Chinese: top-down)

font face

per-block (paragraph)

font size, weight, style

alignment (values: start, end, center, justified)

margins (before, after, maybe start, end -- i.e. top, bottom, left and right in English)

word spacing (default, min, max)

character spacing (default, min, max)

per-character (or glyph)

(font) color ("hover" and "active" subclasses may be supported)

reference points (name or destination)

Default values for properties may be specified in a larger scope, e.g. a global or per-block default color. Making progression directions global does not allow for language mixing, which I would discourage anyway because it makes composing substantially more complex. For similar reasons, all spacing-related properties are per-block, however it would be possible to make them per-character (except for alignment). The font properties are placed in their respective categories in order to avoid overuse of them. If you would like a property to be added, deleted, or moved to another category of scope, please post your suggestion including the reason. Does anyone want forced line or page breaks?

With regards

Lachesis

Can we have section in CVS for the i18n things (language/ directory)? Would make some things easier :blink:

With regards

Lachesis

Sounds like a good plan to me, but I want the big man's blessing first. He seemed to be opposed to putting anything besides the code in CVS.

Probably because artwork has a more restrictive license than the code. But I am pretty sure that these restrictions do not apply to the I18N documents. There are good reasons for that, e.g. multiple people could easily work together on the same translation, and I could be able collaborate with Malaclypse on this task more easily. Well' lets see what "teh G0d" thinks about it. Did you contact Entropy or shall I do that?

With regards

Lachesis

I was hoping he'd read the thread and share his inifinite wisdom with us :P

Yeah, I know about the art, and I understand that, But last time this came up he didn't want anything but the code in there.

languages are now in CVS. Hopefully i got the latest version of the encyclopedia, it's dated March 16th.