Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geelef

Languages

OK; most of you prolly wont like it, but I still gotta suggest it. :)

Today I was surfing on the net, and I bumped into this site about 'making your own language'. I kinda skimmed through the most of it, and I was pretty interested. Now, I was thinking, how about we create a language for EL? Not too complicated, just a few dozen (maybe 100-300) words, which can be used ingame. Some for new items, names for NPC's, others replacing normal words (like Elf wont be Elf but something else :D)

It'll require loads of work though, and most of the newbs wont know what the hell the older players are talking about, but it would increase the game's feeling alot.

Maybe have a setting in the ini-file, language = #

0 would be normal, English language, NPC names would be normal, they'd talk English, item's would be named in English etc. Also, common words used in the 'new' language are translated into English again (so if someone types the ELword for Elf that would be translated back to Elf by the client)

1 would be EL language, NPC's talk mainly English, only some EL words slip through (enough to get a good feeling, not enough to really confuse the player), items would be named in ELlanguage, NPC's would get ELnames etc. This is ofcourse a bit harder to read, but gives loads more feeling to the game.

There should be a list of words on the site that are used alot (like sword = x, gloves = x etc) so you can look words up that you don't understand.

Ofcourse, the setting in the ini-file would be standard 0, so newbies don't get too confused.

Just a suggestion, I can't promise I can do it, but I'll try. Maybe with some help it'll work out great.

Tell me what you think.

No one (including me) would actually use the alternate language. hink of it, most of the people that come in the game leave after they come in contact with the newbie island, because it's just too hard for them.

Hey I need that website I wanna steal the idea for my game (where some NPC use the language and you have to lvl up your language skill to tak to them....whoever scripts that will have grey hair)