Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Placid

El On Amd-64

This is probably off-topic and a little pointless but i'd thought i'd let the developers know what's what in the world of EL and 64-bit processors.

System specification (Laptop):
AMD 64 bit, 3GHz Processor,
512 MB Ram,
nVidia GeForce4 440Go (mobile GPU) 64Mb

Well, it worked fine in windows, complete compatability and nothing wrong whatsoever.

I will be trying compatability with linux tonight, so i will keep you all posted.

Hope that is some enlightenment into future compatability :P

bjorn@darkhelmet bjorn $ uname -a
Linux darkhelmet 2.6.8.1-ck8 #2 Thu Sep 30 23:16:28 CEST 2004 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

It works fine. Even tried with 32-bit binaries (using the special 32-bit compatibility libraries) and there's no problem what-so-ever (and there shouldn't be either ;-)).

When that's said, I did not notice a performance increase when moving from my 2100+@2100MHz AMD AthlonXP in SDL/OpenGL applications, and this is most likely caused by drivers, change of kernel version and the new chipset (VIA K8T800 instead of nForce2 - would be my guess that an nVIDIA GeforceFX 5900 performs better on nForce2 than on the VIA K8T800). All other applications did however get a performance increase ;-)

PS: Your laptop is just a 3000+ (PR Rating) - not 3GHz ;-) You can check the real speed by cat /proc/cpuinfo

bjorn@darkhelmet bjorn $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 31
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2310.039
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 4538.36
TLB size        : 1088 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid ttp

As you see, mine is slightly overclocked - haven't played that much with it yet though ;-)

Thanks for the info. Also, thanks for the PR Rating comment, i always get confused with PR vs. Intel ratings....

What linux distro are you using?

Thanks for the info. Also, thanks for the PR Rating comment, i always get confused with PR vs. Intel ratings....

What linux distro are you using?

Intel uses model numbers now as well - it's a confuzzling world. The worst part was that initially you could actually make a formula for calculating the PR rating of the AMD processors from their speed, and well - performance is not always proportional to the speed increase so it didn't make much sense (only to marketing anyways ;-))

I use Gentoo Linux. You should as well - would most likely work ;-). Just remember to modprobe ide-disk and your LAN-card when booting on the LiveCD.