Eternal Lands Official Forums
Leeloo

Work

A question for all the top programmers here (Entropy, Learner, Cicero, Sadez, Umrion - and anyone else I forgot):

What do you do for work?

I ask because after a day at work programming (and VB to make it even worse), I don't really feel like programming when I get home. I have tons of things I want to try out, things I want to learn (Like OpenGL and Lisp), and even improvements for EL. But it's always "I want to do it, just not today" - everyday. When I was in school, I was always programming. When I worked as a supporter / admin stuff, I did some programming, but not so much. Now, if I'm even in front of the screen, I will be playing games or chatting.

So what do you do for work? Programming? And if you do, how do you get the energy to program after work?

I really admire your work (all of you), and I want to be as good as you. Well, except for the days when I wish I had a life instead of a PC :D

I'm not what you'd call a programmer of any value, but I'm in school...probably going to be the only free time to memorize languages in my life, so that's my project now (ie. Learning D, tk/tcl, perl, and python).

I am a programmer (VB/C + access/SQL-Server/Sybase)/ webbuilder (ASP/PHP /Acess/SQL-Server/MySQL)

Where I get the energy ? I have Aspergers syndrome

Personally I think programming is boring, I prefer finding out "how does it works" so I am a sysadmin

and a security advisor. I know Perl, Bash, HTML and basics of SQL - that what is needed in my work.

If I have to learn programming it is usually because I have to solve some problem so it is my motivation.

Regards.

I work as a freelance journalist. The rest of the time I work with anything that I can get my hands on - these days it's helping my uncle his new bathroom :o) There's sadly not much work for young people on the island that I live on, and it doesnt help that I got drafted to the military from the 1. feb. Anyway - I plan on moving to Copenhagen next year to begin my studies :-)

I know i'm not a programmer :( but i spend all day at work in front of a computer doing artwork..and then i come home to work at the game, well my motivation comes because i love this game and working on it. At work it's a different type of art, but i do get very tired of sittting in front of a computer..and i have lots and lots of non-computer things i want to do, but i always put them aside to work at the game..i guess it's destiny that is driving me to work at it :D

...ahem..of course i didn't mention the hours i spend on the forums or chatting in game when i should be working :unsure:

I'm a recent graduate and unemployed... figured I'd post even though I'm not really one of the developers for the game (OpenGL code tends to make me spew profanities at my monitor :( ) Still looking for that first career job...

I'm a sysadmin / developer .

I'm developing TFM Linux distro ( http://linux.tfm.ro ) , doing custom programming for my ...

Energyy after work ? you should ask my wife where i get the energy from ;) .

Mainly i do C / C++ programming . Some time ago i worked in game programming .

Enought details for now

One more detail :

I LOVE bofh

Who doesnt like bofh? Im a cs student also, and I cant find motivation to do programming outside the course.

I hear ya, Alox... during my last year or so in college I was considering giving up technology and living in the Himalayas. :D Well... ok, so not really... but I sure wasn't about to write any more code than I had to. :D

Now I just have way too much free time.

Seems the solution is either get unemployed or go back to studying. A different job might do the trick, but it seems to me that Entropy doesn't really have the energy either. Not like he used to. (Or is it just *this* game you're not really interested in anymore, Entropy?)

Ignoring drastic measures like not working at all (not enough money in that), I wonder what kind of job I would be good at. Actually, I've been wondering about that for years, ever since I decided that VB is not what I want to do. I wanted to go back to the helpdesk, but no luck, apparently it's a requirement to be able to use Windows XP (How the hell did I become a VB programmer without being able to figure out how to use Windows?).

I am not a certified anything, everything I learned was from books and internet e-books I have downloaded.

As I dont work for this game either, I do a little html and sql, and php for a few websites when and if they ask for my help.

As for the programming you all do here at EL I am not to interested in getting employed as a programmer of any caliber.

Also since my last visit to the forums, I have learned about 175% of what I knew before which was mostly just html, sql, php, xhtml. So I learned a little bit more on programming of othger styles.

...I thought about rewriting some of the files that I downloaded from EL and unzipped...but I can see roleplaying hasnt become anymore interesting to players then before so I think I will save my comeback for later.

Now about the energy...Leeloo, I never feel like writing any kind of text for someone else, and when I write if for myself its usually just to goof off and see if I can get something to work. And if I had the money I would most likely make a game based on the darkages...prolly would be 3-d, kind of like a ffxi style of graphics, and I would wait till I had a battle system up and atleast 100 different styles of weapons and 25% of the magic system finished.

Total it would cost me 45k for the first year and if I managed to get it large enough to start charging $5-$10 to be a member while still keeping a server open for free-members I etimated a profit of 15k for the next year....of course assuming I had everything I needed and wanted...such as a develiopment team 5x's the size of ELs....maybe bigger.

Im a IT Contractor (software/web developer).

Java,J2EE (JSP/Servlets), HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Bash, SQL (Oracle/SQLServer/MySQL).

I really enjoying programming as a whole, so if i am invloved in something, i enjoy doing it, purely because i love programming.

So i suppose i get my energy from addiction :ph34r:

A different job might do the trick, but it seems to me that Entropy doesn't really have the energy either. Not like he used to. (Or is it just *this* game you're not really interested in anymore, Entropy?)

Well, try standing for almost 8 hours/day, and then see how much energy you have when you get home.

besides, working at a game doesn't mean only programming, there are other aspects as well, such as planning stuff, debugging, taking care of the community, etc.

*Sends Leeloo his XP cert book* -Erm, doesn't do me any good, not a whole lot of winxp/sysadmin stuff to do in making bombs...

I get the joy of blowing shit up all day, so energy when I come home is usually the last thing I need (just catch me on a day when I've been drinking some red bull and vodk-umm, nevermind... you'll understand).

Not that I have any skills what-so-ever... but I do know a little about being literally exhausted from a day at work (Radu, I stand all day too, but only from a lack of chairs and being the lowest guy on the totem pole... Try 16 hours for 3 straight months while a guy is slobbering all over you just because you weren't looking at the back of the persons head in front of you, and straight ahead at the same time [impossible considering the guy in front of me was about 3 feet tall and I am not] then we will talk)... just kidding boss, factory work is teh suxxorz.

-E.S.

Well, try standing for almost 8 hours/day, and then see how much energy you have when you get home.

besides, working at a game doesn't mean only programming, there are other aspects as well, such as planning stuff, debugging, taking care of the community, etc.

Not mocking you, just trying to figure out what to do to improve my life, and get the energy to do things I like to do. Seems factory work is not the solution either.