Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mikac

Entropy Takes Money For Stats.

You guys are way to objective oriented.  It takes a mastery orientation to truely appreciate how fun these games can really be.  I'm sure there are very few who understand objective and mastery orientation.

Problem is then... What if most of the userbase of EL happen to be "objective oriented"? What if it really does take "a mastery orientaton to truely appreciate how fun these games can really be" - how many people possess this ability?

What if it was only a minority of the userbase that could actually abstract from the fact that stats can be bought that easily.

What if the "objective oriented" players decided to find another game because the game started lacking an objective and a competitive element?

You just said it yourself - you would be happy even though everyone could buy stats (I would also just feel indifferent), but most people wouldn't - and that's what'll eventually make the "users online" numbers decrease. If good players and good friends start leaving the game, then the incentive for going online is also going to suffer.

I do not want to be all black and white with this issue, I understand the need of funding, BUT in the long run this is NOT the right way to do it, as your userbase will decrease as more and more people start purchasing their stats. With less people in-game, less people will be able to purchase items and "P2P features" from you etc..

You could continue this path and earn some quick money, but in the long run this move puts the entire community at stake - and I am not the only one to fear that this is what's going to happen.

I agree with gunslingers. Way to be cooperative! It's a good idea, however the packages should be subject to higher prices to deter people from going overboard.

teh banned 0n3na - WHAT? :D I don't understand. No body mentioned getting rid of stats. I like stats, they are the basis of growth in the game.

Outofthislife...have you read any of the posts before you posted?

You guys are way to objective oriented. It takes a mastery orientation to truely appreciate how fun these games can really be. I'm sure there are very few who understand objective and mastery orientation.

and you sure as hell have no idea what to say or you wouldn't keep coming up with pretty sounding new fishisms that have NOTHING to do with the game :)

Wytter,

I understand and agree with you. BUT how many people are actually going to take entropy up on the buying stats thing? I don't think many will, since people enjoy one sole fact of this game...it's free! :D I truely think that there isn't going to be a big market for stats. Would you pay $10-20 dollars for a number that goes into your character? $10 buys me 10 levels YES!! Lets just say that my parents have hardly suffered over the years. When i was still living with them i would NEVER have thought that was a smart investment. How many rich kids/adults are going to be playing this when they have the money to play FFXI? Now that i've played this game quite a bit, i wouldn't change for the world. But before i started (if i had the money) i'd have preffered that.

I'm just simply saying, there wont be a big enough market to make a difference in the game.

did ent ever say he was selling stats to EVERYONE? or did he say it was just a promotional deal?

edit: nevermind i foudn out

Soldus,

if i had nothing to say, i wouldn't have said anything at all. I would speak if i didn't truely believe in what i was talking about. Look at where i've gotten most of my posts so far.

Wytter,

I understand and agree with you. BUT how many people are actually going to take entropy up on the buying stats thing? I don't think many will, since people enjoy one sole fact of this game...it's free! :) I truely think that there isn't going to be a big market for stats. Would you pay $10-20 dollars for a number that goes into your character? $10 buys me 10 levels YES!! Lets just say that my parents have hardly suffered over the years. When i was still living with them i would NEVER have thought that was a smart investment. How many rich kids/adults are going to be playing this when they have the money to play FFXI? Now that i've played this game quite a bit, i wouldn't change for the world. But before i started (if i had the money) i'd have preffered that.

I'm just simply saying, there wont be a big enough market to make a difference in the game.

ok, great here we go !

you think it is a bad idea aswell ! :)

...- why didn't you say so in the first place ? :D

i was agreeing with wytter on the orientation methods...at least i have the courage to agree with someone who is taking an opposing view on something. Don't get technical...contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way. :D

goddamit its not that bad

lets say we get a few rich kids playing EL and they buy like lvl 50 for everything\

we as a community can ignore them =D, so ent gets his money and the rich kids get depressed and go buy a mini mall

just dont worry about it to much guys, only an asshole would buy stats SOLELY to have high levels without any work, and then they wont get along with anyone and be miserable

just dont worry about it to much guys, only an asshole would buy stats SOLELY to have high levels without any work, and then they wont get along with anyone and be miserable

We have had more then our share of people like that!

Hello. Sorry for little offtopic. Just want to be sure, Entropy will read it.

Entropy, could you, please, write info how to send to you money transfers offline? I like the game and i would like to donate it, but i am not gona make international credit card just for 1 transfer by Internet. AFAIK, only IBAN (International Bank Account Number) and your bank SWIFT code is needed for it. Can you write this info in eternal-lands.com "Donations" page?

Only one thing i need to add, buying PERMANENT stats is a bad thing. First the dev only get the money once. Second, the other players that can't buy and won't buy them hates it.

Maybe, if the dev need money that badly, then why don't you guys just sell the stats TEMPORARILY. I mean like 1 level for 1 hour of usage is $1. 2 level for 1 hour or 1 level for 2 hours is $2.

That way, the cheater will have a temporary cheat (unless s/he is uber rich). If that person is uber rich, then the dev can have a good source of income since that uber rich going to be leeched by the dev who really needs money. And this way only a few people will be able to pay those contsant fee to keep up their temporary stats. But those temporary stats will make them easier to level things up, which will make them go through all the works also. Well it's still a cheat, but it won't be much of it (unless we found a rich kid that able to spent constant fee). But see the bright side if we ever found that kind of kid, the dev will have money for themselves ^^

As some other guy has stated, if you decides to cheat then you won't last for long in the game. Because you will just get bored really fast. PS: experienced based statement, because i cheat in most games that can be cheated. Hehe :D

As for Quinticus: If you decided to ignore other people, well you can just as well play the normal RPG games instead of MMORPG. Since in RPG games you are alone anyway, you don't have to ignore those people around you.

Ooo btw i don't like the "buying/selling stats" idea also.

The previous post, just in case they really need the money, so that's only my suggestion that might fixed a little bit of the problem.

Would you still play chess if your ritch opponent was able to buy extra moves and extra couple of queens?

That summarizes about all i have to say about this subject..

Yes, I think shasso enought said about what does it means buying stats.

I just wonder if Roja and Entropy underestand it.

One of special class items can be a potion which will increase your

attack/defence/crafting/alchemy/phys/coord/whatever for hour or 5 hours - actually it would be fun.

This game are playing assholes with cash as well. They will be able to buy stats and don't allow anyone

in any PK map, don't allow anyone in any spawn etc. all people who can't pay for stats will be slaves

of people who can. Who want's to be a slave? Not me. I prefer quit the game. I know no one will cry

after me, especially admins but if stats are sold...I really see no point to play this.

Regards.

Well if it's temporary stats then they will run out of cash anyway. And our dev can ripped their cash and then kind of kick them off when they don't have any cash left ^^

If they can afford it for eternity then the dev will get the constant money from them hehe ^^ (well at least until they get bored).

While they have those stats then we just stay out of pk map or something. I am saying about pk maps is mainly because it's pk-ing problem

EDIT: by temporary stats it will be like the potions do but it's just that it won't decrements like potions. Instead if the time is up then it'll revert back to normal straight away.

So just like add another variable for timing. And it will decrease every minute until it's 0 then *poof* back to newb char ^^

This might encourage them to buy the stats not only for 1 hour hehe ^^. Because if they are pk-ing then there is a chance they will get killed once they reverted to newb char lol

:rolleyes: Stats for Money = The rest of us can still play EL for Free ;) , I don't know what all the hoopla is about, The People creating the game deserve something for it. We are not being charged a monthly fee, we are not being charged to purchase the game itself, we aren't being charged anything at all for the privledge of playing this game...

Okay so someone gets to buy High Level Stats for real life money, omg... what about the players who spend 16 hours a day on the game and have uber stats compared to the rest of us, I would love to be able to spend 16 hours a day on the game, but real life gets in the way. Are these players who purchase stats and support the game something to be any more jealous over than the ones who have all the time in the world to play EL ?

The only time these stats matter to rest of us really is when we go into a pk map, it would suck to get killed by someone who paid to increase there stats, but there are two simple solutions don't go into pk maps and if it really bothers you stop playing el... (Third solution, someone with already high stats will increase there stats more and pwn'd the infidle who bought there higher stats just to pwn'd others B) )

Ent, I'm glad you found another way to make money from the game, who knows maybe some day you won't have to work at anything else :D you can just reap the benifits of all your hard work. Go out to a nice restaurant, have a nice meal and just forget about all these pain in the as/butts...

What would life be like with out EL = We'd all be doomed to playing Runescape for the rest of our lives, the free version you know the one that dosen't make the creators any money :( Runescape sucks but then so dose listening to all these pain in the butts who have nothing better to do than complain about something they're getting for free...

Well I'm sure I pissed some people off, but I'm good at that. Entropy keep up all the good work and thanks a lot. See you all in game, *I'm gonna go use my free account, which I pay absolutely nothing for, and which has brought me so many hours of free enjoyment* Did I say thanks to Ent enough and everyone else who has worked so hard at making this game, maybe the rest of you should try doing a little of that instead of complaining everytime they try to find away to make a living from the game....

Thanks To Everyone in the Production team...

NeoSeS

$$ lifes all about the Bling Bling, but EL is still free... hmm think about that :rolleyes:

Actually, I think that Ogerawa's suggestion is a nice compromise.

It could even be implemented as potions or scrolls that gives the player +10 <stat> for 1 hour each (you could never have more than +10 in your stat) and they would be purchasable for rl money only (something like 5$ per potion). It would still be as if you bought an item, but just like the other items that you can purchase with time, they vanish. Would probably only be really useful for pk'ers but it is a good idea.

thank you wolf lord. I can agree. Especially about those who have the time to play, when i don't. Which is the lesser of two "evils"?

Ogerwa - i never said i'd ignore everyone. I have Fable for that. I'll just choose to ignore those who purchase stats in excess amounts. But i do like your idea with temp stats. However, the game already has potions for that (increasing for only 5 lvls).

Once again, though, it goes back to the same question. What kind of demand would there be for that? I still really really think there isn't going to be many who'll pay to have their stats drastically changed in a free game. Pay more money and buy your self a house or something.

Well, Ent said that this was just a test. The selling items for RL money got quite a positive response, and stats a very bad one, so maybe Ent won't go any further with it.

Plat, there isn't that big of a TODO list for the server, and it certainly doesn't need that many people working on it. However, don't think that Ent is the only one. I've done some work on the server, as have a few others, and if Ent ever needed me to do anything else I would. I'm supposed to be the one implementing all the quests, but Ent is having too much fun with it to let me do it :rolleyes:.

i feel robbed...i've been fighting hard to let you guys know it's a good idea...or at least a neutral one. All these yuppy-compettitive-idiots get on and blather about how they are getting robbed (total BS), and it's considered bad. POO. There is a very good case as to it not being bad. The nay-sayers, say ITS NOT FAIR. It makes the game ruined...but they don't say HOW. I've cited at least one (of many applicable natural laws) that says at the very least that selling stats is moot. And another really good idea is just forming. Comprimise is the vehicle to success here. I think you should really listen up.

Its not bad!

I like the potions idea, potions that raise your stats for real money, but if they're going to cost say $5 usd they should last for a day or 4 in game days from the time they are used, something like that anyway. Quinticus I agree completly with you, I don't see why this idea is a bad one at all. I keep hearing the term "Purity of the game" running in the back of my mind but is it really a good enough reason to not implement a possible new source of income for the creators, or maybe we should be allowed to increase our stats one level at a time so that it is less inconspicuous say one level a day of your choice :rolleyes: for $15 usd... I don't know, I like this idea Can't wait to see how it works out. Please don't give up on this

NeoSeS