Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mikac

Entropy Takes Money For Stats.

Guest Zeplin

heh, Who didnt think stats would be buyable soon enough? Cost money to run things, Obviously items and such are only going to bring in limited funds.

Selling items paved the way for this, things change, After all, Most ppl dont start shooting up without trying weed first =)

The only place it will be a big deal is for the fighters. And even then some people have sold there chars after doing all the work. So buying the stats is not much unlike that, Just changes the direction for the profit.

It is something else selling a charackter worked out using fair play methods than being a game admin

and selling stats increasement.

Regards.

Guest Zeplin

Agreed Ent,

For me tho, I wouldnt buy a level, As it would take away from my fun leveling =)

It is something else selling a charackter worked out using fair play methods than being a game admin

and selling stats increasement.

Regards.

How so? I see no difference, personally.

Well..>I got to about page 6...i'm too lazy to read further...LOL...anyways....

Life isen't Fair ;)

LOL.

I do however don't like the idea of selling stats...wasting money on stats to me woudl be stupic (woudl rather go buy my Pocket PC....).

Anyways...I may pay for the game when the new stuff comes out (hey...I got a job...and I get ten dollars a hour....for helpign somebody with the computer....easy and fun work...WooT! :D Thankyou Very broad knolge of computers!...plus...after this I may be hired for much bigger jobs....thankyou knogle of Web Design, Graphic Design, etc!...WooT!), but sellign stats is just stupid....stupid people who dont' want to buy somethign like a cool Pocket PC and instead buy stats woudl just ruin the game...they would eliminate everyoen from KF and it woudl become a waste land :)

HOWEVER, I did see that we now are getting the Arena thing where you can fight and not lose items and what not....if that goes all well I won't care about the stupid people who waste money on things that don't realy exsist............

LOL...oh well....

Buying stats? Defeats the whole purpose of playing a game. Hey, its not my game, so let's just ignore me, ok?

:lol:

Buying stats? Defeats the whole purpose of playing a game. Hey, its not my game, so let's just ignore me, ok?

Yeah, reminds me on how big football (and basketball, etc.) teams PAY for their players, instead of training them from a to z.

Defeats the whole purpose of football.

Yeah, reminds me on how big football (and basketball, etc.) teams PAY for their players, instead of training them from a to z.

Sure teams pay their players. Just as guilds reward their members with armor and weapons for their help to create essences/harvest things, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Both are part of the game and have no super-natural powers.

But what would you say if one team would pay the referee to gain stats (goals/points)? For me that would be more comparable to the current situation.

Sure, no big deal, the referee has to make a living as well. Especially understandable if he volunteers as referee and corruption is his only source of income. But please think about who would like to be on the 'receiving end', the ones that played the game as it was meant to be played (i.e. the EL community).

I would strongly urge you to re-consider your stance on this issue. To show goodwill, I donated $5 to protest against in-game bought stats in the hope that others will join. There is no competition in a game where people can corrupt the makers. And say as you will, competition is a driving factor in games (if it wouldn't be, why would it matter who wins or looses? (or dies/lives in this case)).

Selling stats, skills, levels, whatever is relevant to the character in its very essence, for real money is more than disturbing, for all RP'ers (I'm counting myself in). As Wytter explained, as teh banned 0n3na and a few others expressed, it ruins most competitiveness of the game. That's an obvious first. A less obvious second is that will encourage a certain category of people to abuse this "privilege".

Well, not everyone is a RPer. In fact, most of the people are Power Players. A true Rper shouldn't be affected by this in the first place, because they should have their own rules and ethics, and not interact much with the ungodly power players.

As for the competitivness, it doesn't really ruin it unless someone is willing to spend a few K USD in order to get max att/def.

There is something you guys fail to understand: This game is not fair, no matter if I sell items/stas or not. Think of it this way:

A person who started before the others, and affords to play the game for 8 hours/day will always have a bigger advantage, and no one will be able to compete with that person. You guys assume that everyone is playing the game from the same time, for the same amount of time every day. This is compeltly not true. Some people can play for longer than others. Does this destroy the competitiveness of the game as well? If not, please elaborate.

I think that your problem is that a taboo subject is mentioned in conjunction with the stats, which is another taboo subject. It's like someone says it's OK to hump your mother. The concept of humping your mother is combining two taboos (sex and mother), in an incompatible way, so it fails. However, other taboos such as sex and money (prostitution) are compatible in many societies, while in other societies thsi is totally innaceptable.

Anyway, the thing was, I wanted to find more ways to get money from the game so I can contract someone to improve some things in the client, to pay some of the other volunteers (so far only Learner and Cicero got a small 'gift' from me, and I consider that others deserve some money too), and, obviously, for us (me and Roja). My intention was the best, I didn't want to have a separate P2P version so people will be able to play the game with their friends. But since this backfired, I guess I should do what other games do, such as Runescape, which is a far more successful game than Eternal Lands, and offer a separate P2P version.

I don't like football/baseball/basketball etc. lol

What does that have to do with anything though? Are you paying us to raise our stats? That is basically what you are saying ... because I would assume that we are the players and you are the NFL/NBA, so wheres my paycheck?

Oh and:

Hey, its not my game, so let's just ignore me, ok?

So there's no problems.

For the record, I still have respect for Entropy for running this incredible game even in a free version (I will pay for p2p). But challenging something against someone you respect just shows incredible respect for that person.

As for the competitivness, it doesn't really ruin it unless someone is willing to spend a few K USD in order to get max att/def.

There is something you guys fail to understand: This game is not fair, no matter if I sell items/stas or not. Think of it this way:

A person who started before the others, and affords to play the game for 8 hours/day will always have a bigger advantage, and no one will be able to compete with that person. You guys assume that everyone is playing the game from the same time, for the same amount of time every day. This is compeltly not true. Some people can play for longer than others. Does this destroy the competitiveness of the game as well? If not, please elaborate.

It does ruin all aspects of competition in my eyes.

Somebody that played the game for 8 hours a day since the very start in a way DESERVES to have high stats. He/She probably knows the game in and out, knows the prices/rarity of items, all places and best ways to level. I would almost be willing to bet that this person also helped out countless newcomers. Such a player is, in my opinion, able to render sound decisions regarding the gameplay since he KNOWS how it will affect others.

Such a person most likely will act responsible in PK areas, and produce/sell items at rates that will keep the community alive.

On the other hand, a person that just joined a week or so ago and BOUGHT (with $$$) higher stats, doesn't need any knowledge of the game, but yet possesses a big amount of power towards the community with possibly no idea how to apply it fairly.

To take a sports example that you seem to like; somebody that has been playing a sport (basketball/football whatever) since he was a little kid DESERVES to be better at the game then someone who just read about it in the paper last week and spent $1,000,000 on it. Don't you think?

On the other hand, a person that just joined a week or so ago and BOUGHT (with $$$) higher stats, doesn't need any knowledge of the game, but yet possesses a big amount of power towards the community with possibly no idea how to apply it fairly.

To take a sports example that you seem to like; somebody that has been playing a sport (basketball/football whatever) since he was a little kid DESERVES to be better at the game then someone who just read about it in the paper last week and spent $1,000,000 on it. Don't you think?

That can't be farther from the truth. There is a saying: "Money make the world move". While I am not [yet] a capitalist dog (in fact I am pretty left oriented) I can't say that I don't want to make money from this game. I worked about 4K hours at this game (in 3 days it will be exactly 2 years since we started working at EL) and got about 4K USD in total from it. Roja worked as much as me, if not even more, so that would mean that I get about .5 USD/hour, and Roja gets the same. Other volunteers got even less, and some not only that didn't get anything, but they also donated.

So, someone who buys anything from us IS contributing a LOT to this game, because otherwise I'd just make the server Open Source, and move on to other projects.

That can't be farther from the truth. There is a saying: "Money make the world move". While I am not [yet] a capitalist dog (in fact I am pretty left oriented) I can't say that I don't want to make money from this game. I worked about 4K hours at this game (in 3 days it will be exactly 2 years since we started working at EL) and got about 4K USD in total from it. Roja worked as much as me, if not even more, so that would mean that I get about .5 USD/hour, and Roja gets the same. Other volunteers got even less, and some not only that didn't get anything, but they also donated.

So, someone who buys anything from us IS contributing a LOT to this game, because otherwise I'd just make the server Open Source, and move on to other projects.

Don't get me wrong -- I know where you are coming from. This is why I donated a small amount to show goodwill (even though I am myself on a tight budget).

I do know that you are desperatly seeking a way to "profit" from this game (at least a decent payrate and not 50 cents/hour). I never said there is anything wrong with it. And I believe some of the suggestions here would help you do that (such as potions or in-game clothing...). Also P2P would not be so terrible.

However there is a lot wrong with somebody just paying a small amount to ruin the competition. Wouldn't the world get boring if Bill Gates would buy all super-abilities in all sports and be #1 everywhere? Sure. But it won't happen. Money can't buy everything in real life. Money will never buy you character or skills. You can buy the materials and people that will HELP you acquire skills, but not the skills themselves.

If you change this rule of the world (and one EVERY MMORPG I ever played), then I do not think that you will have a very happy community. However, I can only speak for myself; but I really don't know what you were thinking to sell 1,000,000 xp for $10...were you really that desperate for money? Heck, I would have given you MORE to NOT sell stats if I would have known.

I think what ogerawa and teh banned 0n3na came up with is good.. Ent could sell potions that increase certain skills for a period of time, a day, a week, a month... Afcourse he must get the values right so people will be interested. How does that sound to everybody?

And about making the money: Aren't unique items like good capes, weapons, armor, that you can ONLY buy, as much tempting as stats? Close, at least.

I dont know how the tit axe selling went, but since you said they are gonna be makeable in a month, mmost people prefer to wait than buy it =)

I dont talk much on these forums, but i tend to read everything :) and the trend i've seen in the past few weeks is distressing...i joined in the end of march and the thing i luved most about this game was the community. i think every1 needs to calm down a lil bit and take several deep breaths.

First off, i disagree with the selling of stats, but i DO understand that Ent (and Roja) should make a profit for their time and money. i dont like the idea because it could upset the game balance nearly as much as its divided the community for/against Ent....and as for someone taking over KF or other PK areas...last i checked werent they multicombat areas as well? *images of tens of players attacking uber-stat buyers en-masse*....that would kinda piss them off, eh? :)

Secondly, i liked the idea that everyone should pitch in 2-3 USD...as soon as i get my paypal account up and running again i plan on it...and u can set up a paypal account with a checking account and $1 in it...*grimaces over his 16k USD debt* (and they do have a method for foreign currency in there...i sold some stuff to some guy in france and he paid in Euro's from his bank account and i got USD in my paypal account :) )

Thridly, i love the idea of having f2p with p2p features...such as p2p only maps and items on the f2p server but i know how hard it could be to program this so if Ent decideds to have separate f2p and p2p servers...looks like i'm gonna be having more than 1 client open @a time. :P

Lastly, stop ur bitching and play the damned game, already! *coughs* sry, just had to vent a lil teensie bit :)

Well of course i don't like this too much either, but it's Ent's game and all..

What i wanted to say:

This will NEVER work on the p2p version. So it might work as a way to make some money ingame until you release that p2p version (or combine it into the free game, or whatever), but on that version people will expect to get all the game's benefits included in that monthly. I don't know many gamers that would be willing to pay for a MMORPG game whithout some competition between players.

If you insist on doing it, maybe restrict it to buying pickpoints only. That kinda makes more sense ingame, since overall now isn't tied up to the rest of the skills (with #reset, etc...). It would give people with high level an option to pay for some extra pickpoints for that extra perk or nexus for example. At least this way people's hard work would still be reflected in their skills.

And don't make it too cheap.

ooo, i like xilcox's buy PP idea alot better than buying skill lvls...tho the prob would come up, what happens if they #reset...they should still retain their pp

:cant wait until i read the forums 2moro 2 c if my other post gets ne flames :) :

Guest seifin

Even if some money goes to the game, don´t you think that´s a "low" way to get money? I mean, making money with rare weapons and stuff it´s not that bad, but selling stats?geez :ph34r: