Eternal Lands Official Forums
super_chris

What About New Monsters?

roja did make some dragon models but limitation in the way monsters and players gets moved around the map lead to them being dropped (unless you want a dragon the size of a bear that is).

basicly the problem is this: the map is made up of tiles, and everything is moved one tile at a time. some of the larger animals are in theory more then one tile in size but are currently made to take up only one tile (this is why you standpartialy inside say a deer when your fighting it). if this was done for a dragon (who at best would be 3x3 tiles in visual size) it would be walking inside every tree, bush, house and whatsnot in the area and you would be standing atleast inside its body while fighting it.

if this is to be resolved entropy needs a clean and simple way to locate paths for the dragon to move along so that it can take up more then one tile at a time compleatly, not just visualy. basicly the game needs a pathfinder code that can handle multitile monsters without giving the cpu of the server to mutch work.

one idea would be to search the maps for predefined paths when the maps are made but that solve only part of the problem. the other part is that the multitile monstrers will not be alone on the map and therefor paths that are open or a empty map may not be so in game. that and the fact that the existing pathfinder would have to cope with moveing multitile areas for when players and smaller monsters move about.

i wouldnt mind makin a dragon the size of a bear it be awesome !

but try to makr it minimal strong not like a fluffy or a C wolf more like an ogre strong.

:lol:

I wouldn't mind seeing a small dragon, like bear-size.

However, what about a stationary dragon? A big one? You can go up against it and if you "beat" it, it doesn't die but it gives you a rare item? And only one person can fight it at a time.

Like a Winged Lizard with 30 life and 25/28 att/def for the noobs and consider it an animal so no1 will die looking at it. Also for the big guys a winged dragon (bear size) with about 50 life 40/40 att/def.

Im just saying, all ur ideas have been....well....bad.

As for the dragon idea, its been suggestion HUNDREDS of times.

LOL! Exactly.

The idea of dragons has been suggested, then dropped because it simply isnt possible at the moment im afraid.

Also, a winged dragon for the 'big guys' wouldnt do much with 50hp.

Hmm, I think Duran is talking about:

Dragon Shot

and

Blue Dragon

Just for refrence...

Also I was under the impression that the dragons were going to be a target for those inclined more towards the Elvish art of archery(range) when that particular system was worked out. Much like the hawk-like creature that can also be found near those links. Perhaps this would solve most of the problem, them only needing to find a "free" set of tiles to land on (much like the animations for normal animals which stop every so many tiles to ponder or rest). This would also deal with the problem of arching a target only to have it run toward you and commence a melee battle (assuming the dragons would fling their balls of fire in retalliation rather than just allowing you to shoot it until it died).

Forgotten

well there is one problem with flying objects and that is that they in fact still take up ground space. that is unless entropy is able to change the behavior of the server and client to allow more then one mobile object to be in the same spot at ones, like say by splitting it into two layers. problem is that i dont think the games graphic engine is buildt for that kind of stuff, one must remeber how close to the character model the camera is...

lol, what about horses as well? :ph34r:

That's a great idea. Good thinking. We should definately have horses.

Do you think we could ride them?

hehe, im not sure we'll be able to ride them, how about using them as mules?

--And what Duran is to say that the mobs cannot be stationary or having a small (for lack of a better term) orbit. The proximity of the camera would create the "illusion" that a smaller bear sized dragon was much larger when viewed from an angle other than directly in front of the player, meanwhile solving the one space problem caused by a larger 3x3 (is that right?) dragon.

The only problem this would create is when a player would walk directly into the dragon -- in which case it would not be seen until they were already very close to its combat radius-- but that would (hopefully) only add more to the challange of the beast. Also a smaller dragon could then fall into it's tile after being killed without the fear of it covering the combatant (like the gargoyels did their bags when first introduced).

As for open paths, being overlaped, a 1x1 dragon would act much the same way any other mob currently does.

--Playing devils advocate with my own suggestion:

The "illusion" of a decent sized dragon would of course be destroyed horribly when a player happens upon a "resting" dragon that has landed on a tile somewhere. It would then look exactly like a 1x1 dragon rather than a 3x3 dragon :huh:

Also; judging the height at which the dragon should "fly" (it would really more than likely end up just being a walking animation with flapping wings, offset from the height of the map by x number of whatever unit is used to measure the height map) would in my mind be particularly tricky as changing the camera angle around the dragon would possibly put it "inside" the camera when facing the combatant.

--Another idea, I believe, was submitted to the dear quest writer Slayton, long ago when Life first created his map with caves and no insides. It dealt with creating a small (unobscured) cave inside just for the purpose of having a dragon traversing it's caverns. But I believe this idea along with its creator have both gone the way of all things and been lost.

Forgotten

or u can at least make a cool lizard the size of a rabbit that also b very good 4 not takeing too much space.

:lol:

:o Or EL can Make a Lizard/Dragon Man The size of a Goblin and as strong as C Wolf :huh:

lol, what about horses as well? :D

Weird o.O whats witht the picture of a horse on the front of EL? o.O

ohh and bout the ridign horses :P i think donkeys are better mules

(yes i am aware of the "Things that will never happen" post and the sarcasm :P)

[yes i am aware about the huge amount of space i am taking up]

lol, what about horses as well? :)

Weird o.O whats witht the picture of a horse on the front of EL? o.O

ohh and bout the ridign horses :blink: i think donkeys are better mules

(yes i am aware of the "Things that will never happen" post and the sarcasm :P)

[yes i am aware about the huge amount of space i am taking up]

lol! i was about to post a comment about sarcasm :)

[Nice one :)]