Eternal Lands Official Forums
Lyanna

Calling For Volunteers!

After an earlier discussion in the thread Musings about the Future of EL, I decided to try and post this topic to make it easier for people to volunteer their services.

Now, there are several ways you can help out. I'll list the major ways first, and then add my own ones.

Map-Making

Requirements: Little to no special knowledge is required.

Instructions for making maps:

1) Read the instructions on this site: Eternal Lands Maps

2) Read the MapEditor Manual (default filenames are mapeditor.html or mapeditor.txt in your EL folder)

3) Start working on the test map, and post any relevant questions on the Map-Making Forum.

Visual Art

Requirements: The ability to draw using the computer - or on paper but have a scanner. The important thing needed is not fantastically-good pictures, but concept art (ideas) that Roja can use to model.

Instructions for making concept art:

1) Read this thread: Concept Art that is Needed

2) Draw! (For non-electronic drawings, scan and upload your pictures onto an image-hosting website like Photobucket)

3) Post up pictures or links to the pictures on a new thread in the Visual Art Forum.

Sound/Music

Requirements: Sound/Music-making program/recorder. Some technical knowledge in digital sound.

Instructions for making music/sounds:

1) Read this thread: Music & Sound FX that we need

2) Encode your sound/music (if music is not saved as an .ogg file, here's a file converter: Audio Converter)

3) Post up music/sound files on the Sound/Music Forum

* Please note that all sounds/music MUST be original, and that by submitting it, you give EL full permission to use your sound anywhere in the game and quote you as the source. Copyright still belongs to you, however.

Links: Ogg Vorbis is a music/sound encoder. (I'm not a technical person, so I can't understand half of this...use it if you can)

Programming:

Requirements: Knowledge of the C Programming Language

Instructions for helping with programming:

1) Find the necessary items at the EL Client Development Site.

2) If you can't think of a project, check out theClient ToDo and Project List. Or, come up with one on your own.

3) Read the Programming Forums first to see if anyone else is working on it.

4) Post the patch on The EL Client Project Site, or, if it involves new source or binary files, create a .zip or .tar.gz file, and post a description and link to your patch on the Programming Forums. Either way, be certain to use a diff -Naur or cvs diff -Nau format for your patch.

The Encyclopedia:

Requirements: Knowledge of the new encyclopedia XML format (which can be learned quickly). Knowledge of other languages is a bonus.

Instructions for helping with the encyclopedia:

1) Learn the new format at The New Encyclopedia Format Thread. Also, get the lastest Encyclopedia, as explained in this thread: Getting the Latest Encyclopedia

2) Consult the Encyclopedia TODO List to find something that needs to be done, that nobody else is working on. Or, just fix misc. stuff.

3) Send this to a maintainer. If you get noticed making a lot of contributions, you'll get full commit access to the Languages repository.

Contact: CrusadingKNIGHT (or Lachesis for implementation questions.)

Storylines/Quests:

Requirements: The ability to write, and/or come up with interesting concepts that other people can use to craft stories with.

Instructions for writing stories:

1) Read this thread: Eternal Lands Storylines POD as well as the relevant links.

2) Post up your story on the Storylines Forum and we'll go from there.

3) If you have a quest idea, PM Quinticus through the Forums

Instructions for writing quests:

1) Read this thread: Want to join the Quests team? and follow the instructions there.

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

A note on sound effects: effects and environmental sounds (teleporting is a sound effect, rain is environmental) should be .wav files, and music should be ogg vorbis.

cicero was just wondering can you make enviromental music play while your on certain maps?

i.e one track will play while your on isla prima but when you move to whitestone a new one will start?

Of course, if someone makes it. Map-specific stuff like that is better suited towards a music track, but there's no reason I can't add an environmental sound.

If the definition of an environmental sound needs any more clearing up, it's a short, repeating sound clip that sounds the same everywhere (the only one we have now really is the rain).

Another note: sound effects MUST be mono. Environmental sounds can (and probably should) be stereo.

ok because i was thinking of trying to make some kind of ambient music with birds in the background for maps like votd,ip and whitestone

Records and Research Jobs:

Helping out with the Guides:

Job Description: - Browse through the guides and contact the writers with any new info/updates/corrections. The guides are:

Fred's Guide

Alastria's Manuals

Rolan4's Guide

Ravenod's Guide

NeoSeS' Walkthrough

goatsgomoo's FAQ

teh banned 0n3na's EL on UNIX Guide

Eternal Lands Records:

Done, courtesy of Rogue. Top 10

Suggestions Index:

Job Description: - There have been multiple postings on the Suggestions Forums because a lot of people don't bother to search or cannot find the topics that have already been discussed. Compiling an alphabetical Index of all topics so far (with links) would go a long way in helping to ease that situation. It requires someone with the patience to do a lot of "Searches", and a fairly good memory.

EL Encyclopedia:

Largely done. For any new updates, contact jamesvm and post in this thread: Encyclopedia Work

Guild Diplomacy Information:

Job Description: - Go through all the guild pages or contact the guild leaders and compile a list of Alliances, Friends, Enemies, and PK-lists to be put up in the Guilds and Clans Forum. Continually update and maintain it, too. :P

If anyone can think of more jobs or ways to help out, please post! :D

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

EL Encyclopedia:

Job Description: - Birkoff was initially supposed to be working on it, but he seems to have disappeared. Requires someone with programming knowledge to take it up and complete it. The site and source code for it is Here.

You don't really need any programming skills to add content to the encyclopedia, but some HTML knowledge may help.

Birkoff posted some months ago that he could not keep working on the encyclopedia. The contents of his page are outdated, so they won't be of much use.

If someone wants to update it, just grab the xml files from the Encyclopedia dir in EL folder. If you add/fix some things, put the files somewhere and post some info about what did you do so they can be in the next release.

EL Encyclopedia:

Job Description: - Birkoff was initially supposed to be working on it, but he seems to have disappeared. Requires someone with programming knowledge to take it up and complete it. The site and source code for it is Here.

You don't really need any programming skills to add content to the encyclopedia, but some HTML knowledge may help.

Birkoff posted some months ago that he could not keep working on the encyclopedia. The contents of his page are outdated, so they won't be of much use.

If someone wants to update it, just grab the xml files from the Encyclopedia dir in EL folder. If you add/fix some things, put the files somewhere and post some info about what did you do so they can be in the next release.

it was updated last update?

i could be a story writer i used to write stories for my shool paper but they fired me because one was so violent it made 2 6th grade girls hurl.

The linux version of the map editor has been out for at least half a year. Unless someone broke it recently...

And the ambient music already plays different playlists in different maps, if you have the playlists (you need to make your own). I had it going before one update, where I accidentally deleted the playlists.

I would be able to do the encyclopedia. I have extensive HTML, XML skills so i dont mind contributing that way. If anyone is already doing this, please let me know. Otherwise ill get going on it as soon as possible.

Thanks.

The linux version of the map editor has been out for at least half a year. Unless someone broke it recently...

Haha...didn't know that. I only this Forum's messages to go by, and I must have read an old post saying that the Linux one wasn't out yet. Good to know it's already in use.

-Lyn-

P.S. shyfx, read the Map-making instructions.

Well I've compiled map editor for Linux and relased fix. It was somewhere in programming forum but not

sure if wasn't deleted...I thought it had been added to CVS...

Regards.

I would be able to do the encyclopedia. I have extensive HTML, XML skills so i dont mind contributing that way. If anyone is already doing this, please let me know. Otherwise ill get going on it as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Right now I'm looking at it to see if there is anything that I can add but if you want to do go for it.

There's always chance of working on it together also wich requires alot of trainsferd in between.

But I will if you are Placid

Is this freely available Plat? Wouldnt mind a go :P

I will put map editor binary on my site. And I have to find that source and send it to devs.

Give me a minute.

EDIT: Done, you can download mapeditor from http://unix.eternal-lands.net/

Regards.

FINALLY, i'll be getting a new computer, and the first thing i do is download EL and see if the map editor works. if it does, i'll be sending a 16x16 map to you guys, and sign up to be a mmap editor! :blink::D:D:D:D

Thanks teh banned 0n3na.

Pwest, im more than happy to work on this together, as long as we let eachother know what's been done and what were working on. PM Me via the forums to discuss it.

Cheers! :ph34r:

FINALLY, i'll be getting a new computer, and the first thing i do is download EL and see if the map editor works. if it does, i'll be sending a 16x16 map to you guys, and sign up to be a mmap editor! :):(:D:D:D

You're gonna BE a map editor? Like..just sit and edit..excisting maps? O.o or you gonna BE a software? Both seems boring :ph34r:

Well, guys, enjoy. I hope you will make beautiful maps (make Tarsengaard a paradise hehe).

I've uploaded source of map editor at http://unix.eternal-lands.net/cvs-source/mapedit-src.tar.gz

also sent source to Learner so he can commit it on CVS if he wants, it gives few warnings but compiles

well.

Regards.

(Starman_Omega @ Sep 15 2004, 03:31 AM)

FINALLY, i'll be getting a new computer, and the first thing i do is download EL and see if the map editor works. if it does, i'll be sending a 16x16 map to you guys, and sign up to be a mmap editor! ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D

You're gonna BE a map editor? Like..just sit and edit..excisting maps? O.o or you gonna BE a software? Both seems boring ;)

What i meant was that i wanted to MAKE new maps <_<

Oh yeah, and, how do you make the text with the info on who sent the qoute? ya know, the " QUOTE by starman omega at bla bla-blah blah."