It's "you're" Not "your"

You're Grammer Sucks

Good:

This is your car.

Bad:

Your in your car.

Correction:

You're in your car.

"You're" is a contraction of the words "You" and "Are".

Any time you feel the urge to use the word "your", please try replacing "your" with "you are". If the sentence still makes sense, then what you really wanted to write was not "your" but "you're".

Had

Becareful how you use the word "had". For example:

Good:

I went to the store.

Bad:

I had went to the store.

The good example states that you went to the store; a statement in the past tense. The bad example means something completely different. The bad example means that in some alternate past you went to the store, but in the current timeline you have not gone to the store. To be more clear:

I had six apples. I ate one. Now I have 5 apples.

Notice that the word "had" indicates a statement in the past tense but also implies that the situation that was true in the past has now changed. In our previous example ("I had went to the store"), the situation of the past never changed, therefore "had" is out of place.

For more examples of how "had" can be misused, tune in to Judge Judy weekdays at 5:30pm.

"your" but "you're".

"your", but "you're".

-------^

Here, you can see where the comma SHOULD have been.

Becareful

Be careful

---^

Here, you can see where the space SHOULD have been.

Expected response:

I will kill you. I will.

^_^

Gimme a break :D

Im useta teh bad grammr on her. Ain't j00?

De0s ti l00k lkie we crae buot gRamAmR ???????????

Guys, SHUT UP! ROTFL. Now we will have 10 pages in this topic about english grammar.

*Me lay down on teh floor and me is laugh so bad and hysterically.*

Duh...E.T. is calling home...

Meow - cat's way of saying "regards".

Oh, KL you are back.

http://el.platinum.linux.pl/pics/misc/kl_h...t_postcount.png *grins*

Regards.

"your" but "you're".

"your", but "you're".

-------^

Actually, the comma should be placed within the quotation marks. Commas always goes on the inside of the quotation marks.

I have this place bookmarked: http://newark.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/index.html

(It's about grammar.)

Actually, the comma should be after the quotation marks, since "your" is a single word, surrounded by those marks because it's used not for it's true meaning, but just to show how the word is spelled.

If you use quotation marks to make somebody say something (like: Bob said: "I'll be there in two minutes.") and you use a comma in there (as in: "I'll be there in two minutes," said Bob.) then the comma should be inside the quotation marks.

No...that doesn't make sence....what can 'Bob' possibly say after the comma? Has he not already made the statement? Besides, I don't belive conversation has to follow proper grammar structure.

No, Bob doesn't need to say anything anymore, but because the excact words he said aren't at the end of the sentence - "said Bob" still follows - there isn't a "." but a "," after his words. Like I showed, if you make a sentence which starts with "Bob said", then you put a dot at the end.

Conversation doesn't need to follow anything, just like everything that's got to do with language, as long as the general message passes through to your target. But if you want to use correct grammar, you'll always have to follow the rules ^.^

Okay, I'll quit being quiet about the fact that there are quite some words getting mixed up because of their similar sounding. Really, there should be more people reconsidering their words. You won't have to buy a paper dictionary (that's just bye bye money..) -- you'll get enough information by using an online dictionary like Merriam-Webster Online. Now for example, do you know that "no" is the opposite of "yes"?

But don't get me wrong, it's a right (not a duty) to write right. Don't ride off on a side trail -- I think it's really sad that sometimes the only thing that had been said towards a poster with a good suggestion, is to improve his spelling, and grammar too. Come on, give me a break, why should you put on the brakes only because you think he knows those two skills too poorly? Then it looks more like you want to increase your post count than to make a contribution to the discussion. Which is making you look more like a witch (ehm ok, I meant "bitch" there B)) whether the weather is shiny or not. (And besides, eight out of ten times I ate their ramblings just fine, and English isn't even my native language.)

(I think my writings aren't that bad.. but I bet I make various mistakes too, also in this post, so don't hit me with a bat for posting this.. you should just shoot me! :P Okay, maybe I need to go to bed..)

The problem comes from people not reading enough. I read a book about every 1-2 weeks. My sisters don't read at all and their grammar, spelling and general vocabulary is very weak. Read books, read anything, and you'll not only write and speak better but you'll seem smarter.

I've read at beyond a college level since like...5th grade. It's not from not reading, it's from people just being too lazy actually write out the correct word, so they plot down some barely legible bullshit and make the other person do all the work.

"your" but "you're".

"your", but "you're".

-------^

Actually, the comma should be placed within the quotation marks. Commas always go on the inside of the quotation marks.

I have this place bookmarked: http://newark.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/index.html

(It's about grammar.)

Actually, the comma should be after the quotation marks, since "your" is a single word, surrounded by those marks because it's used not for it's true meaning, but just to show how the word is spelled.

If you use quotation marks to make somebody say something (like: Bob said: "I'll be there in two minutes.") and you use a comma in there (as in: "I'll be there in two minutes," said Bob.) then the comma should be inside the quotation marks.

In America, commas and periods go inside quotation marks, while semicolons and colons go outside, regardless of the punctuation in the original quotation. Question marks and exclamation points depend on whether the question or exclamation is part of the quotation, or part of the sentence containing the quotation.