Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aerowind

3 New Skills

Well Roja said culinary which i'm guessing is the process of getting the meat and preparing it?? does that fit in??

Well but what could be the advanatages of eating cooked food .. you could just eat normal food like before.

I like the idea of cooking but it would need more than just poisoning food - any suggestions?

hehe burnt food is really hot burns ur tounge and reduces ur appetite (can not eat for 20 mins??)

On the cooking and fishing topic...I think they can be combined into one skill...hm..culinary? But there'd be more than making good food(the better food you make the faster you regain health),you'd also learn how to poison food, and can leave that in bags and be evil...if you are a mage, you can use a show poison food spell, but maybe that would be mroe annoying than anything.

Well, currently from the amount of info we have this is really not worth it as a skill unless some good ideas(and many of them) to actually form it into a skill.

The reason why I like the idea of cooking/fishing is becuase I believe that a game with a lot of variety and things to do is a better game..the more interaction, the more fun. It's stupid not to be able to cook meat in a game like this, I don't like hinderances, even if they seem fairly trivial, it brings more life to our little game world.

With "good food" you mean we will be able to spice it with spices etc? That would be cool.... tho.. a little gayish... O.o like...

"i killed some trolls, what did you do?"

"oh.. i spiced my meat with some curry and some of that..." etc XD

i like the fishing idea it adds a little bit more to the game (u see so much water arround u but cant interact with it) and besides fish u could get some leather boots with fishing... bah =P

i like the archery idea too, if bows will exist it is needed some skill of this type.

about the cooking... it would be nice to cook some stuff but i think its not a priority right now, there r more important things that could be added to EL (i guess)

with the bows... who knows... some birdies to kill too =|

if we start suggesting this stuff it will never end...

cooking and fishing shouldent be a a skill but should be able to be done by reading a book no lvls just read the book and do it i mean seriusly does it take skill to throw a peice of meat on a fire for 5 minutes? or does it take skill to bait a hook or tye a knot? (after you've read a book about what your fishing for)

archery tho that should be marksmenship well maby thats to morrowindish

Or we can just rename Eternal Lands to Eternal Runescape.

Hmz cooking is in many RPG games, so why not grab good ideas from other games?

EL is beta but addictive alot so imagine how it will look when there will be more skills, more monsters

and more nice ideas. We, in Poland, have a quote: Learn even from the devil. :-P

Regards.

When I saw this post 3 days ago, I tried to think of a system. It just went around and around and around in my head... almost impossible.

Issues/Problems:

Fishing: Either fish spawn and swim around in water like normal animals, or they remain fixed at one location. If they spawn, the heightmaps have to be changed so that players can chase after them. If they remain in one place, how do we "activate" fishing mode, then? And what determines success rate? Will it not just create a lot of excess and fairly irrelevant items (ie. how many types of food do you WANT?)

Culinary/Cooking: There are a lot of different types of actions needed if you want to make this a skill. It's not like alch or manu where you just mix ingredients, and the only difference is what ingredients you mix. Also, what positive effects can cooked food give you that will not affect the potion-making industry and/or the fast regen perk/cape? Furthermore, for poisoned items, how to program them so as to be identified by you, but not identified by others?

Archery: Firstly, how to program it - what are the mechanics involved? (ie. when does archery stop and hand-to-hand combat begin, if the target is moving towards you? Can bows do melee damage? How to deal with the concept of "ammunition"?) Secondly, can it be expanded to more ranged weapons than just bows and arrows (ie. throwing knives, slings, etc.)?

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Culinary Skill:

Lvl 0: Enables basic fishing. To fish, player must equip item "Hunting Spear" (bought at Lakeside Blacksmith), and be close to a stationary fish spawn. Works like harvesting. Each click on the fish has the chance to net you a "Raw Fish".

Lvl 2: Fish Fillet Ingredients: 2 Fire Essences, 1 Raw Fish. Tool Needed: Pan (bought at General store). "Fish Fillet" restores 25 food. Critical failure results in "Burnt Fish", which restores 10 food, but poisons you.

Lvl 4: Cooked Meat Ingredients: 2 Fire Essences, 1 Raw Meat. Tool Needed: Pan. You know what it does.

Lvl 7: Fish Sandwiches Ingredients: 1 Fish Fillet, 2 Bread, 1 Vegetables. Sandwiches restore 40 food.

Lvl 10: Seafood Surprise: Ingredients: 3 Raw Fish, 1 Fire Essence, 3 Mead, 2 Fruits. Restores 30 food, and gives a RANDOM basic attribute increase of +5 for 5 minutes (cumulative with the equivalent potion). But there is also a chance for Poison.

Lvl 12: Enables gutting of animals from this level and above. Players MUST equip "Hunting Spear" in order to get different items from the drop, instead of the regular ones. Success of beating animal depends on the usual things. Success of getting cooking ingredients rather than normal meat and fur depends on Culinary level and animal difficulty. Cooking drops would be "Raw <Animal>" (eg. "Raw Boar", "Raw Rabbit"). Not all animals drop special cooking ingredients.

Lvl 15: Soup: There are actually two items classified as "Soup". One is actually a hidden poison. Items look the same, described the same, and both are non-stackable, so impossible to tell.

Normal Soup: Ingredients: 2 Fire Essences, 1 Raw Fish, 1 Raw Meat, 3 Water Essences. Tool Needed: Pan. Restores 40 food.

Poisoned Soup: Ingredients: 2 Fire Essences, 1 Raw Fish, 1 Raw Meat, 3 Water Essences, 2 Death Essences. Tool Needed: Pan. -20 Material Points and Poisons you.

Lvl 18: Rabbit Stew: Ingredients: 1 Raw Rabbit, 2 Wine, 3 Water Essences, 1 Fire Essence. Tool Needed: Pan. Not-stackable. Restores 10 food, and halts food decrease for 15 minutes (i.e. food level doesn't go down for 15 minutes)

Lvl 21: Roast Venison: Ingredients: 1 Raw Deer, 5 Fire Essences, 2 Ale, 2 Wine. Not-stackable. Restores 50 food, and doubles Ethereal Points regeneration (cumulative with Fast Regen for 6x EP regeneration).

Lvl 24: Boar Roast: Ingredients: 1 Raw Boar, 5 Fire Essences, 2 Mead, 4 Wine. Not-stackable. Restores 50 food, and doubles Material Points regeneration (cumulative with Fast Regen for 6x MP regen).

Lvl 27: Potluck: Ingredients: 1 Raw Boar, 1 Raw Meat, 1 Raw Deer, 1 Soup, 10 Fire Essences. Not-stackable. EITHER restores 60 food and +20 EP +40 MP ...OR... -60 Material Points and Poison inflicted. (It depends on the Soup - but can you imagine the scamming? :ph34r:)

Lvl 30: Magical Broth: Ingredients: 3 Water Essences, 2 Magic Essence, 2 Potlucks (good ones - bad ones just cause critical failure), 1 Potion of Feasting. Not-stackable. Restores to maximum food level, doubles EP and MP regeneration (cumulative with Fast Regen), and +80 MP +40 EP.

- Critical failure in cooking causes ingredients to be lost, except for "Fish Fillet", which would result instead in "Burnt Fish".

I was going to go on with my suggestions for the Archery/Ranged skill, but maybe another time...

-Lyn-

hmmm then the fishing thing would be kinda boring only being able to get one thing it's mainly cooking that ur idea is... but w/e i like it

and Ent when we suggest ideas they don't have to be exactly like Runescape and they don't have to be from runescape psh i forgot Runescape even had them... Runescapes things are really boring to do... (but the cooking idea i like my idea of how i described em instead of fire essences that's so boring...)

Or we can just rename Eternal Lands to Eternal Runescape.

hmmmm.... Does Runescape have culinary?? didn't think so :D