Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cicero

Nelson Banned

I need to know what you mean by spaming the server.

I am a proponatn of a healthy el community,

I shall include my chatlog from when I said afk and we were talking for a sub 10 min time

[the_antiroot]: afk  real life interrupts

[darish]: were is sulfer

[wetwilly]: can you change ur pass word

[Drangous]: how do you read books?

[PrinceOfDarknes]:  hello all im back

[Abcaliux]: saling Book of combat tactics Book of Ruby mining and Blue Crystal mining for 250

[Drangous]: how do you use books?

[Abcaliux]: double right click

[wetwilly]: can i change my pass word

[Abcaliux]: no wet wally

[Abcaliux]: or willy*

[PrinceOfDarknes]:  yea wat u do is become really rich and tell me it j/p

[PM from Cicero: is Nelson your bot?]

[Abcaliux]: for steel shield no clue... im still kinda new myself but im guessin 2k

[otl]: are there no IMPATIENTS in ip?

[wulfmir]: more like 950

[wetwilly]: ok then beacuse my good account isnt working and i made this one to find out why i couldnt get on

Your IP is banned. That means that you, or someone from your IP did something very nasty, so we had to block this IP addess. If you believe this ban was unjustified, or promise to respect the rules from now on, please post in the Bans section of our forums (on www.eternal-lands.com)

Now I replaced the nelson code with nelson mk II code as I call it tonight.  Icertainly mean no harm to the el community,  my bot is meant to be a "entertianment bot"

Surly banning nelson would have been enough?

The modifications to nelson tonight were actually meant to prevent him being abused by players to spam #666. aparantly there were unanticipated side effects.

I shall rollback to the easilly abused nelson, and would  appreciate further information on how he was spamming the server to avoid similair incidents in the future.

I strongly object however to being ip banned for not answering within 5 minutes (I was hoovering the bedroom)  only minutes previously I wes calling in lesser mods to help with ptoblems on #1 (ask mcmantis)

Aplologies if my code cased problems, but an IP ban?

Bots shouldn't reconnect automatically incase of bugs like this or worse, that way they could be booted. Does Nelson automatically reconnect r not?

He tries 5 times and dies.

Its really fucking ironic because I was suggesting to ogerawa the other day giving some nh's / mods the ability to shut him down if he went wrong.

I did fuck up earlier and he loged in lotts, but that was my fault. and aover an hour b4 cecerio's intervention

Linux tries one time, if she fails she dies. I think more than 2 times is evil.

Regards.

Of course ent. and thank you.

But what I really want to know is how v II broke...... II would like too know HOW and WHY the code caused probs, so I can fix it, not burry it

reverting to nelson code revision I

Its really fucking ironic because I was suggesting to ogerawa the other day giving some nh's / mods the ability to shut him down if he went wrong.

if i were mod/NH id tell u to put ur bot where the sun....

OK, Im making a few changes atm to nelson mk-II

These include delays If he exits unexpectedly, and a new admin system so he can respond to commands from multiple "admins"

Now I need to make a shortlist of folks that should be able to kill him or send him into a coma.

Ent, Learner, Cecerio are on the list basically Im happy to add any mod, however I will lonly add a few NH's who I know very well. (such as vermor)

Now this post is primarially looking for admin names from Ent, Learner and Cecerio, Im not looking for everyone shouting "pick me!"

Hopefully Ill hve time to make these mods tonight

I'm ingame quite a bit and I'm a NH but i don't know of u know me that well :huh:

I'm ingame quite a bit and I'm a NH but i don't know of u know me that well  :unsure:

Not necessarily a problem, Ill ask those I know ingame for references.

To be quite honest, my reason for not wanting all NH's is because one NH intentionally spent a lot of time crashing nelson in the past, which in my books sows a unsutable level of responsability.

What I do want is 24/7 coverage of those who can control nelson in my absence.

----------------------------------

Nelson is an unusual bot and its perhaps worth going into why he was created.

It all started with the impending rollback. A time in the game when there was no piont in playing, as yuo were at best going to get set back a few days, at worst total reset. So I instead thought Id just get a carryout, and chated.

In this chat I saw a lot of folks who just couldnt take it any more and were going to quit, and I thought folks needed a daft divertion, to cheere them up a bit, thus an entertainment bot was born. A bit of fun that I could enthuse those that would leave, and hopefully keep a few of them around. Folks love being asked for suggestions for a bot as daft as nelson.

He was really primative then, just laughed locally and shouted the deaths on #666, but he cheered a few folks up, and that was his purpose. (he was a lightly modified version of toybot which later turned into the sourceforge elbot)

Nowadays he gathers statistics, and stores them in a mysql database.

I have been using this as an opertunity to take my php sql skills to c, however this also introduced a whole arena of crash possabilities, as he didnt like such things as spaces in guildnames.

The vII code introduced a ludicrous level of error checking, however as this thread proves I missed one errorcheck on a sql statement.

He continues to act as the basecode tester for another 2 comunity service bots I am working on.

I dont think anyone ingame actually hates him, rather they love him, or love to hate him ;-)

Anyway, Ive rambled on for long enough and yuo can look forward to a couple of new commands in the next few days, for reporting the top 10 and last 10 deaths ;-)

I dont think anyone ingame actually hates him, rather they love him,  or love to hate him ;-)
Again, hate is a strong word, but it still looks like you're forgetting about me here, especially since this:
The modifications to nelson tonight were actually meant to prevent him being abused by players to spam #666.
seems to me to refer to (maybe amongst other incidents) when I was wandering around in the underworld and thus causing Nelson to spam, with the intention to start the discussion about Nelson on channel 666.

Well, I succeeded in starting that discussion, you said that it was the biggest chat in that channel ever, and afterwards you logged off there with some words about having gotten some ideas for Nelson out of it.

Anyway, my point in the discussion was: the main reason for people to watch channel 666 is to know who died, hoping to be able to loot some corpses once in a while.

I know I'm exaggerating here, because only to know that someone died doesn't give you the information about where he/she died, but when you happen to hear Nelson mention someone's death just after you saw him/her running around, increases the chance for a vulture to find the corpse and to throw himself on it. Two or three of those on channel 666 responded that Nelson/death channel is for entertainment only, but the rest of the about ten people there didn't say a word (except for threatening to #abuse report me for spamming, which I didn't -- it was a poorly programmed bot that did the spamming, and it's your own choice to be in that channel -- a channel that is populated because people want to hear the bot). So my main feeling about it all is still the one of a channel with mainly corpse pickers. And again, I know I'm exaggerating a bit.

To conclude, this is not a flame towards Nelson or his creator, and it's not meant to make me the object of flaming. It's just my honest opinion about Nelson/death channel, just either to be ignored or to start a discussion. If you want to flame me for my opinion here, go ahead, as long as you do it in the flames forum. (And since I'm using "View New Posts" lately, I read the flames threads too. <_<)

Mar© I think you already know me well enough to know me well enough to know I dont do flame.

I disagree with the looting point, yes there may be some folks that do this, but strictly a minority.

Several times I have raced to guard a bag of somone I saw recently and nelson reported, and also several times my bag has been guarded by others in the same circumstances.

I cant see us agreeing on this point, so instead, let us agree to disagree.

Regardless this is not the point behind his existence, his purpose is entertainment.

To get a picture of what happens on #666 you probably need to spend a little time lurking in there, as you'll find that like #4 there ar streches of silence and times of intense "topicless" chat.

Anyway I believe you wish nelson to ignore you, so Ill add you to his ignore list, If this is not the case I shall remove you.

Anyone who wishes to be ignored by nelson should just pm me ingame

Heh, no I didn't expect a flame from you.

And yes you told me about the bag recovery back then, sorry I just forgot about it.

I believe you when you say that you recovered bags several times, but it also strengthens my point that the information can be used by corpse looters in exactly the same way.

You saying "there may be some folks that do this, but strictly a minority" convinces me that we don't disagree at all. With "my main feeling about it all is still the one of a channel with mainly corpse pickers" I just want to express how I feel whenever I approach the Underworld's exit, but I really don't (and can't) have a clue about how many of them are. And unless you have a fairly fixed audience of people you personally know, neither can you, because "streches of silence and times of intense "topicless" chat" doesn't give much insight in what each of them does with Nelson's death reports.

Ahwell, although I enter the underworld mainly to ehrm.. visit a friend (so not much to loot from an eventual corpse anyway), I appreciate being on Nelson's ignore list now. Actually, I didn't know of the existence of that list.

For the ones who are in the channel for the entertainment, sorry that you can't hear me pass by anymore. ;)

And for the program/project's point of view: nice job! :) (Maybe I'll request to be temporarily removed from the ignore list to check out v2.. :angry:)