Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tsen_Ang

Illegal Goods!

Since people are talking about a karmic system, you'll need eviler things to do in the game other than killing rabbits and spamming in channels. How about adding illegal goods? like u can harvest weed or some other plant, and then do some alchemy and you get a potion of high that besides adding some crazy hallucination effect, will boost your health/mana or some stat in like 10 for 15 minutes, which is illegal too, and has a 1/100 chance of decreasing 1 permanently from the stat every time u drink it. Or a potion that will add poison to your weapon or something. But whenever you try to trade these things you have a chance in 1/5 of going to jail and having to stay there for 30 min / 1 hour! The goods should be expensive enough to justify the risks of course. This would also require a shady NPC to trade in these items, maybe in a future slum in WSC :P And in every trade your karma should go down by a certain amount, when the karmic system is implemented! The opposite for picking flowers! :lol:

PS: Make it hard to harvest/process, so people dont create a lot of chars to get illegal stuff and just switch to another one if they go to jail.

And there could be a new perk related to this.. Smuggler! u could smuggle the goods in your stomach (so u could put some in the empty space of your food bar) so your chance to get caught would be 1/2! You couldn't eat anything after that and if u take too long and start digesting the stuff you die and go to hell

And if you get caught too many times u get tried and can plead that "There Is No Weed!"

P.S. If there were a more modern-day-realistic-type feel to this game, Smuggler wouldn't be in teh stomach...i'd be in the ever-useful Multipurpose ButtCrack900X :unsure:

I love it! :lol:

well it could be something like this:

First every player starts neutral, and they can make all the neutral quests of course, plus the first good and first evil quest. Those two should appear sometime in the middle of the neutral quests, and players could choose the good, evil, or just ignore both and do only the neutral quests. If they proceed this way, they can do some both good and evil things, and good/evil players can do some neutral things too. The idea is to have 3 independent paths to take, each with their unique rewards in the end.

Now if players decide to go on the evil path, they will be requested by their evil tutor to make some deeds, like harvesting dwarven Shrooms of Delight, which are highly forbidden and hard to reach (PK map for example). They shouldn't be very hard to harvest, as most young evil players won't be very experienced. Tutor explains how to collect them [unlock Shrooms of Delight harvesting]

So they go on this quest, and if they succeed, their tutor will give them another shady contact to where players can sell their mushrooms. (this can be an existing, corrupt npc)

These mushrooms could sell for say 2 gp / unit.

After this the NPC can ask the player to do some minor quests, as to unlock other harvestable evil things (SCR: Swamp Candle Roots (their roots are very hard to get, so normal players leave the root behind when harvesting swamp candles, and are even unaware of its power) (2.5 gp each), FCA: Fossilized Chrysanterum Arcanum (in caves, again unnoticeable by normal players) (3 gp each), etc.

These could be progressively harder to harvest.

But heres the catch: on every trade the player makes, there is a chance that the Eternal Eye of Justice (Lyanna make a story about him :)) will be looking at the player. This chance depends on the illegality of the item, and he will be summoned to a jail. Depending on the amount, and the item, the player will stay there for a certain time. For example: 1 min/ 5 mushroom, 1.2 min/ 5 SCR, 1.5 min/ FCA etc.

Ok then after being able to harvest a couple of illegal items the next quest should require a decent level from the player, like 20 or something (the tutor shouldn't give more quests saying the player must prove himself first, so people get the quests at a good pace)

He would ask you to steal the Orb of Evil from a certain NPC. Then after completing this hard quest he would just say it was a test and the orb was worthless, but it was necessary to prove the player's worth of the following knowledge: [unlock Potion of Purple Mana (gets 10 mana/usage but has a 10% chance of draining the user's mana instead)], [unlock Black Leather Gloves (+2 damage, but drains the user's will by 2)]

Here are some more ideas:

A full leather set, with each item adding something and subtracting another, like the gloves.

Potion of Dark Matter, (+10 health/usage but 10% chance of leaving user with 1hp)

Potion of Horny Goat Muscle, (+10 physique for 10 min, but chance for permanent -1 phys OR if you think thats too rough chance for -10 phys for the next 10 min)

These manufacturable items would be even more illegal and expensive AND players of opposing alignments can get them but can't use them.

Evil guys obviously can't do good stuff or they'll gain LOTS of karma and lose access to the l33t stuff.

The good side would work something like that except they would get only half the benefits, but no penalties (like a potion of purification (+7.5 health)

But the catch is: no high smuggling prices for good players, because there's no risk. They get slightly better items in the beginning , but can't do bad stuff or lose a lot of karma. In the end however they can get maybe better armors, but cant cast evil magic for example because its against their code of conduct.

These are just some ideas to give players a few paths to follow, the idea is to make them all tempting and balanced.

I hope this post hasn't been in vain, because im moving tomorrow and its 2 am here so i should be sleeping!

Please feel free to add more ideas how you'd like this to work. Heck you could even make all players free to roam the land, but only those who PTP would be able to follow the good/evil paths. Thanks for reading this little post :lol:

I think I will drop the quests and karma, maybe just keep the ideas for using them. Gives you more freedom :D

If you're dropping the quests and the karma, what exactly are you using, then? :)

Anyway, Eternal Eye of Justice (now that sounds like a lame superhero-ish kind of name... no offence) story:

Legend has it that there was once a great and powerful Elven warrior by the name of Elythraen Treesoar (a distant relative of Tumaros, maybe...). He grew to adulthood under the tutelage of the greatest hunters and wisest elders of his kind, being from a influential family line. He paid court to and won Wyndemere Hearthkeep, the most beautiful of the maiden forest elves, as his lifemate. Sadly, even before their wedding had ended, Wyndemere had been shot through the heart by an unknown assailant. Wracked with grief and fury, Elythraen Treesoar spent the next century hunting for the elusive murderer, perfecting his tracking and combat skills so as to administer justice in a most satisfying manner.

However, his rage and bitterness had built up to the point where he had forsaken family and friends, consumed with revenge. When he finally tracked down his lover's murderer, he tortured the poor soul for days before killing him, and razing the entire village where he found him. In his blind fury, he destroyed hundreds of the innocent of his own kind. His people cast him out into exile.

Elythraen Treesoar, the greatest and most powerful warrior of his people, was an exile. Doomed to wander for the rest of his long life, he was besieged with remorse for his actions, and burdened with the guilt of his own killings. His own satisfaction at finding his beloved's murderer had palled long ago. One day, he bowed down under the pressure of his agonised mind and besought his forsaken goddess, Aluwen, for mercy. She, in her kindness, decided to take pity on this penitent and accepted him into her order of servants, as the martial arm of her order.

Elythraen quickly grew to find comfort and peace in his new duties, which consisted mainly of tracking down and capturing the agents of chaos and death that Mortos was using to corrupt the lands, before they could commit any crimes. Pleased with his progress, Aluwen bestowed upon him longevity even beyond that of his race, and named him her Eternal Eye of Justice. He slowly faded from public view and took to be a shadowy figure, haunting the lands and watching behind the scenes for traces of evil.

The tale of Elythraen Treesoar has long faded into antiquity now. Nobody knows for sure if he really existed or not, or whether he was just part of the mythology of the Church of Aluwen. We do not know if he is still alive, performing his duties, or long-departed. Many times, this legend has been long dismissed and nearly forgotten. And yet, every now and then, the circles of evildoers speak in fear of the Eternal Eye, and rumours fly about of his striding the lands again. Nobody knows if these rumours are true or not.

But I wouldn't want to find out...would you? :)

-Lyn-

P.S. Perhaps he even lives amongst us - a Ghost in the Street. :D:)

I think everyone should be able to cast all spells but i do like the idea of good evil stuff and maybe if u complete every quest for the good side u have like an aura around (golden) and maybe if u complete all the ebul quests u have a dark glowing red ring (i really do love the karma system and the quests thing for the karma system instead of PKing for karma system i love a lot better) and if u do complete all of the quests in good/evil u can never switch sides again (but all the other quests u do have a chance to switch swides)

I think u see wut i'm getting at right??

so this topic is just going to rot away?? i love the idea :D

Here i am aero, the liberater of the topic, the defender of the suggestion! I, for one, am not going to let this suggestion rot away.

But i have afew ideas to add as well, so bear with me.

I say we add the Cops and Guards thing and let people attack eachother in non-pk maps. But when you do, the gurds run at you and attack. And maybe if you dont kill the guy, the guy you attacked gets a free healing and a spiffy new sword or something. Of course we could implement a duel thing so people could fight eachother in non-pk maps and place place a wager before the duel starts. This way, noone is tecnacily safe anywherem so mercs wouldnt have to resort to baiting. And there could be an announce war option so guilds could fight eachother in the streets without guards interfering.

P.S. When you say "potion of horny goat" or whatever, i hope you dont meen what i think you meen.

P.S. When you say "potion of horny goat" or whatever, i hope you dont meen what i think you meen.

thx Helli and ummm... LMAO!!!!!!!

hey all i'm back, finished moving! Glad to know some of you see the potential of this idea :) Nice story Lyanna i like it, pay no attention to the name I was really sleepy when i posted that :P

About the Horny Goat Muscle thing I meant a big eivl goat walking on two legs full of muscles and horns you pervert :) Maybe if you kill one of these you get a few muscles for the potion, and the horns pulverized with the mortar and pestle for some high level eivl weapon!

Entropy i really hope you add at least a few things i suggested, it will give your game a lot more content to play with! If I can help with something please let me know

That is a story worthy of the Treesoar line if I ever heard one :o Awesome

(Entropy likes the idea...sweet! Can't wait to see it in game :D )

i still like the karma idea and the ebul, nuetral, and h0ly qu3sts

im to lazy to read the HUUUUGE amount of text... but i get the idea, soudns good :D and you got the approval of the big man, good job!