Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chatterbug89

So You Want To Make A Bot?....

Ok...i was bored...and sick of all the bot questions...so here is my little paragraph with resources at the end of this paragaph to get you started :angry:

Ok..the guys here seem to treat anyone clueless about programing/scripting a little meanly...i do too i guess...we can't help it (i'm perosnally a programing/scripting --i do both-- begginer however...I do more than one language thou :angry: ).

First off, you need to choose a language you want to learn. I would reocmend C. Just download Dev-C++ for windows and there is a excelent guide to getting started with C. Now, I will assume that you have not done any programign in any other language before, so you will probaly end up readign a lot of those pages 2 or more times...i woudl acutally recomend you do if you dont' understand it...

Ok, there are many other languages tha tyou can learn...some that may be even simpler than C (i am realy starting to like C however...unlike PHP...it is more mathamatical based and wil lhelp me in school :angry: LOL). One language in particular that may be good for newbs is Python. A lot of peopel ahve said that, that is the language to start off with. Personally i diden't like it...but it may be a good language to start with. Plus, you shoud be able to make a EL bot with it after some extra reading up. Just google Phython programing or soemthing.

Yet another language that I personally like is PHP...ok...if someone makes a EL bot with PHP I will be realy impressed....but i jsut had to mention PHP :angry: this probally isent' the language for the newbs wanting to make a EL bot however...

Ok, someone posted this weird language called The Unlambda Programming Language. At first glance it looks realy strange and forienge...but it seems like a releatively quick and easy language to learn (I amy go ahead and learn some time even). Also, t hsould allow you to make a bot with EL.:angry:

Before i go on...there are many other languages to choose from...some easy, some hard, some easy but too simple...and so on. You will probally have the most luck with C or Phython...but you can do your reasearch and try to find a language tha tyou like. Remember, google is your friend :angry:

So, you picked out a language? You learned it? You learned how to have the language talk with the "outside world"....now what?! You are now goign to want to check out a little thing called CVS. Think of CVS as a FTP server, or just a computer whith files (of course it is a lot differnt than FTP thou...) where you can get the source code for your desired program. There are two ways to access this. First, you can use a client, or use a online means of access it (most CVS "places" offer a way to download files fromt he web without the use of a client). The problem with not using a client is you can only download one file at a time, BUT you only have to download one file. this file is probally called elc.c or whatever...elc.something. Download this file...this is the source code for the client. Now, you may want to skim though some C guids if you arn't acutally learning C to genralize yourself with C. More than likely you will easily get a understanding of the langauge withotu actually know the language to its full extent (unless you are learnign The Unlambda Programming Language...which is differn than your C bassed languages...). By looking at the source of the client (elc.c) you can start to make a "game plan" on how you can make your language comunicate with the Eternal Lands server and run your bot. :angry:

So, last but not least...here are some helpful resources to get you started with programing and Eternal Lands technical issues :angry:

Software

WinCVS --Good CVS client

Dev-C++ --great C compilier/code synax hilgiher/auto synax completiong thingy/tons of toher things, including a C Tutorial built in...

LINKS!

CVS Help --All the info you coudl posibly want on CVS :angry: Geared more torwards soureforge's CVS system...but most of the inforamtion is relevant to all CVS servers and what not...

http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/ -- A how to guild for that weird language....

CVS for EL --the name says it all...

Python --Some stuff on Python programing :angry:

PHPFREAKS! --Excelent source for PHP related stuff...not tha tyou shodul try making a bot with php...unless of course you have WAY too much free time....

Well...that is all i have for now. Sorry for the grmara and spelling mistakes...I jsut did this quickly to get me thinking again...i'm tired and I want to stay up to see my Anime...LOL. Also, if ANYONE EVER asks How to make a Bot with no further details they shall be forever shuned! :angry:

i made a bot in PHP. But its useless. my websever wouldnt keep the connection to the server longer than 5 minutes. only when i run the bot at my computer it workd. and handling the sending and receiving of data was a pain with PHP. its made for text processing, not binary data.

I can recommend Python for writing a bot. It has a module calld struct that helps u building the network packets for sending to server and getting the data out the the packets u receive. And python is newbiefriendly. Everytime an error happens it give u a traceback from where the error happend. And Documentation is good.

I have a friend who has a crack of Windows Visual C++ 6.0 Pro, and he might be able to put it on his ftp, and I'll put it on mine, so that ppl can get at it. its the pro version that my Intro to Comp Programming (C/C++) that we used. Its not bad at all.

Ok, someone posted this weird language called The Unlambda Programming Language. At first glance it looks realy strange and forienge...but it seems like a releatively quick and easy language to learn (I amy go ahead and learn some time even). Also, t hsould allow you to make a bot with EL

NO!! Don't!! That was a joke! As the Unlambda page clearly states:

Unlambda: Your Functional Programming Language Nightmares Come True

(BTW, your worst programming nightmare is probably Malbolge. It took a couple of years before the first successfgull "Hello World" program was written in Malbolge. People are still discussing whether it's Turing-complete or not ;) )

Anyway, I like C a lot, and I've heard good stories about Python. Pascal used to be a good language to learn programming, but it's not used much anymore.

[..]

I've heard good stories about Python.

[..]

Python is nice for embedding into scriptable applications... But it has the disadvantage of being an interpreter language.

about pascal, borland uses pascal in its delphi line.

and i ran into this: www.vpascal.com

seems to be a free version of pascal that i belive to be compatible with borland delphi...

When I first started out programming in High School a couple of years ago (prior to that I only had experience with BASIC), we were programming in Pascal/Delphi and it is a very easy language that helps you understand some basic concepts of programming - it is a college language created for teaching, not really for programming ;-). I still think that it's a good way to get yourself started, yet you should stop programming in pascal/delphi as soon as you think you've got it all under control, as you don't want to get too familiar with the syntax and the language ;-)

After I started learning C 1½ year ago (just as a hobby, haven't started my uni studies yet ;-)) it's definately clear to me that C/C++ gives a lot more freedom to the programmer, but also more responsibility - when I first started experimenting with pointers and dynamic memory allocation I experienced a lot of seg-faults, due to lack of bounds checking etc., but once you get over those newbie mistakes, that you are bound to make, C is an incredibly extensive language with a fairly simple syntax that enables a programmer to do just about anything.

Is it possible to write a bot with java? I'm sort of an advanced beginner, since I just started taking the class at school this year, but I took VB last year so I just have to learn syntax for the concepts, which I already know.

I'm sure it is posible but it woudl be a pain. You are goignt to still have to know a little C to look thoguh the client code and makeing up a way to have yoru java program comunicate with the server is goignt o be a pain...but if you do give me a call...I woudl ove to know if you did. :angry:

I'm sure it is posible but it woudl be a pain.  You are goignt to still have to know a little C to look thoguh the client code and makeing up a way to have yoru java program comunicate with the server is goignt o be a pain...but if you do give me a call...I woudl ove to know if you did.  :angry:

hmm...sounds like a challenge...

Is it possible to write a bot with java? I'm sort of an advanced beginner, since I just started taking the class at school this year, but I took VB last year so I just have to learn syntax for the concepts, which I already know.

Maybe even in VB.

What you want to do with your bot depends how difficult it is, but I managed to connect, talk, pm and sit/stand from a VB interface.

Is it possible to write a bot with java?

Yes, i've written a bot in java...

If you wanna try one use the java.net package for your socket, and remember that the EL Client uses unsigned bytes.

Unfortunatly java doesn't know any unsigned bytes, so you have to make sure you remove the sign bit, when sending data or reading it.

There are some downfalls though, java is kinda slow compared to C at runtime, so make sure you write efficient algoritmes or you will have problems with the number of incomming packets and the time you take to procces them.

Awe, come on. No perl mention? Where's the love?

Perl is more like a C builtin (because it generates/runs from C code).