Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leeloo

Market Chat

Ok, enough of the discussions about how much chat and flaming is allowed in market channel. Let's make a channel "market chat" or "market flames" or somesuch, where all the people who want to market, chat and flame in the same channel can go.

If they are right about this is what people want, that channel will be filled with people. But if it ends up being an empty channel, and they are still flaming in market channel, we have proof that they were wrong, and people really prefer a marketing channel without flames and random chat.

How about the opposite? I.e. Create a "pure market" channel, and abandon channel 3 to the chatters?

The major objection either way seems to be one of numbers. If you want to advertise your goods or look for a particular item to buy, either way you want a lot of people to hear you. But the more people there are on channel, the more chances of people talking off-topic, chatting, etc. Since the market fluctuates a lot (by this, I mean the number of actual buying and selling messages), there are often long periods of nothing happening, and people naturally feel the inclination to chat on channel. Enforce the rules strictly, and people start complaining, since they have no one else to talk to on General Channel. So, it seems to me that the marketing system has to be redesigned from the ground-up.

I heard of a method that seemed to be fairly effective somewhere, but I'm not sure if that will work here. (Sorry for derailing your thread a bit, Leeloo...just don't want to clog up the Forum with ANOTHER thread). How about locating the "market" in an actual place? Bear with me...I know what I'm talking about. What I mean by this is: create an NPC or bot similar to a store bot that will accept the items you want to sell, and allow you to set a price for them. It doesn't pay you any money for it upfront, though. Then, if a player wants to buy something, he can go to the "marketplace", talk to the bots/NPCs there, and buy the items for the price that the seller stated. The bot/NPC takes a small commission, and when the seller comes back to check the shop, hands over the rest of the money.

Basically, it's enlarging the store bot concept and making it available for all players. Locate a bunch of store bots in a certain area, near a storage, and it becomes a marketplace.

Pros:

- Answers the 'numbers' problem. The marketplace is available to everyone, so you can be sure to find the item or a buyer.

- Frees up channel 3 to become a chat channel, and occasional market.

Cons:

- Destroys most of the bargaining and flexibility of the current marketing system, since you have to wait for the seller to come back and change the price, instead of talking to them straightaway.

- There is no possible way a store bot would be able to handle so many items from so many players at so many prices. (Unless someone was really clever...)

- The current store bots would be very sad...

The more I think about it, the more I feel that this system isn't going to work in EL, but I might as well post it up and see what you think.

-Lyn-

Ok, enough of the discussions about how much chat and flaming is allowed in market channel. Let's make a channel "market chat" or "market flames" or somesuch, where all the people who want to market, chat and flame in the same channel can go.

If they are right about this is what people want, that channel will be filled with people. But if it ends up being an empty channel, and they are still flaming in market channel, we have proof that they were wrong, and people really prefer a marketing channel without flames and random chat.

According to my poll that I've made on General Chat (which Roja has locked for unknown reason)

people don't want offtopic on market channel and it hasn't changed since last time when I was

making poll like that (when I was fighting to allow offtopic on market channel but stopped when

I saw result of previous poll - about 40 no and 20 yes from aproximately 60 votes). Also I think

if strict topic will be enforced on channel 3 people will finally move to channel 4.

Remember how it was about selling/buying on newbie channel? On market channel were maybe 4

people but moderators has started to hunt sellers and they has moved to channel 3.

Now when there is a rule that SOME offtopic is allowed, and no one knows when SOME starts

and ends this is impossible to sucessfuly encourage people to join channel 4 and stay there.

Every new channel which would be created will end same way - it will simply empty.

Regards.

I think most people want to chat and trade at the same time, BUT not in the same place or it will be a mess.

So how about making a console-like window, where all the market messages go?

Players could access this window with ALT+M or something and it would list all the offers players make. Each player could announce their offer like the Linux bot for example, with a timer and a command ex: "#announce Buying 1000 Fire Essences for 5k" and it would repeat this message every 5 min or so until it is changed, or the player simply types "#announce" then it would cancel any announcements.

This could also be logged as market.txt for keeping track of prices and who buys/sells what etc.

That way players could stay in chat channels and when they want EVERY player can look at every offer made regardless of channel, and no more offtopic market channel flames!

What do you all think of this?

I like Tsen's idea, with a tweak: Remove the market "channel" and make it like a bulletin board. You post your buy/sell ad and it stays there for 5 mins (or until you remove it yourself). People can hit #market to see the list of ads, or ask to be notified when a new item is added. You could even make classifications for ads, which match the groupings in storage.

It could be simply: #jc market, would turn off sending anoucements to some user.

And make just help channel and general chat channel. It would be the best.

Regards.

You didn't get it, i mean the #announce command would only work in real time (while the person is playing).

Of course for when they aren't on we have the market forum.

You don't have to monitor the channel all the time while you could be chatting. It would work like checking your attributes for example, instead it would show the market offers in realtime.

And moderating it would be much easier, just delete stupid ads. No offtopic chat, no annoying players complaining after provoking the mods etc. Only lots of offers to browse easily