Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vartican

0oo new forum

I have used Invision Board on my site at http://tricospeb.net for over two years. Also had several versions if phpBB installed at one time or another, never liked it as much. I haven't opted for the paid version either, but it's great as it is in the free version. The paid version has more bells-and-whistles, and it is people who pay for it that allow the programmers at Invision to build-in better security for all versions!

I don't trust phpBB2, and a recent version (2.0.9, i think) had bugs in its security - I had to manually delete the whole thing because I couldn't access the admin panel!!

:ph34r: I especially like the CALENDAR feature. If properly managed by a few people, it can be used to announced birthdays, as well as to point to the most recent changes and all significant forum posts, so that if ANYONE hasn't visited the forums in a few days, he can use the calendar to catch up. Especially useful for putting url's to the latest updates, even those for the encyclopedia, for instance. A poor example perhaps, because my site has different functions than this, can be seen at http://tricospeb.net/InvBoard/index.php?act=calendar. Please feel free to take a look. Note that I modified the php to add links and some graphics to the Header, without removing the InvisionBoard logo at the top or the copyright notice at the bottom. Colors and fonts could also be modified without violating the copyright agreement.

As for skins, there are no free skins at invisionboard site for unpaid users, but they have links to third-party skins at : http://invisionboard.com/?resources

Edited by rolan4

mezah like the new boards now to make my siggy bigger how i want it :ph34r:

dangit forgot to log in, used to being always logged in.

It is even worse on GameDev.Net for me. My brother never logs out of his account when he is using my computer. And he is number 5 on the Top 50 Rated Posters, so I assume quite a few people know him. So, if I forget to logout and login (I have not yet), I am going to have his name on my posts. :rolleyes:

Glad it's back up again. Now only change the looks of this ugly beast :rolleyes:

Yea look of this forum is like on microsoft.com. MWAHAHA.

Entropy, enable us few skins to pick up, please...

Anyway it seems to loads faster and I really like that what it

have done with avatars! ;-)

Regards.

I guess i and roja will make a new skin... in a near future if possible :|

this forum is awesome!!!!!!! you can ahve 2000 cahracters in your interests!!! i used all 2000, and im plannning on using 200 for my location too =D

lemme guess.... ur gonna use all 300 characters for the sig? you sicken me mike.

bingo! I used everything i could for location interests and sig, i would fill up the personal notepad thing but no one would be able to see it

It is even worse on GameDev.Net for me. My brother never logs out of his account when he is using my computer. And he is number 5 on the Top 50 Rated Posters, so I assume quite a few people know him. So, if I forget to logout and login (I have not yet), I am going to have his name on my posts. :unsure:

Your brother is Promit?

Did he even try the game? He said a while ago that he will.

In summary, STFU.  :unsure:

You are such a Cicero. Oh wait, it is not an insult when you are Cicero.

quod erat demonstrandum

In summary, STFU.  :unsure:

You are such a Cicero. Oh wait, it is not an insult when you are Cicero.

quod erat demonstrandum

I don't understand. What did you think was in need of proof?

Probatio incumbit ei, qui dicit, non ei, qui negat. ;-)

Regards.

Great, it was annoying enough when people didn't know the difference between Caesar and Cicero, now there's actually someone named Caesar on the forums.

There are lots of things I like about Invision, but the things that are missing weigh a lot more.. (as always :ph34r:)

So I was wondering, are these things possible (as in: push my nose on where I overlooked the checkbox/inputbox/link/etc., or: is it possible to implement it somehow in the IPB php?):

* Time format customization. (I'd like to see 24h time format and weekdays.)

* A "My Posts" link to a full list (as topics) of own posts, sorted descending by last posting date. (There are many posts per day, it's nice to be able to see if any of those new posts are replies to topics you contributed in.)

* Disable signature by default (own signature) , i.e. having the "Enable signature?" checkbox unchecked by default. (I cleared my signature so I don't have to uncheck it every time, but it's not the same..)

And what kinda annoys me:

* The IPB logos in front of the forums on the main page don't go faint (to "No New Posts") if you don't view the forum itself (i.e. the topic list). So if you read posts via the View New Posts list, the main page still says there are unread posts, also when all posts have been read already.

* The transfer message after you click View New Posts (and Search actions in general) ...

* ... and not to be able to redo a search by refreshing the page. (It only reloads the same list of topics, any other topics which were replied to in the meantime won't be added to that list when you refresh the page.)

* I just noticed the "Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?" checkbox.. wth is that an option?? When posts have been edited after replies have been made, imo this shouldn't be an option.

* Last and maybe least :P -- I'm still amazed by the fact that a signature under a post can be changed afterwards..

* A "My Posts" link to a full list (as topics) of own posts, sorted descending by last posting date. (There are many posts per day, it's nice to be able to see if any of those new posts are replies to topics you contributed in.)

* The IPB logos in front of the forums on the main page don't go faint (to "No New Posts") if you don't view the forum itself (i.e. the topic list). So if you read posts via the View New Posts list, the main page still says there are unread posts, also when all posts have been read already.

Partial solutions to these two:

1) On the top-right of the page is "My Assistant". Click it, and a small pop-up window will appear, allowing you to view a list of new posts on topics that you started. Also, the first post on every page of a topic has a "Track this topic" link at the top-right of the window. Click it, go to "My Controls", then "Subscriptions" on the left toolbar, and you'll be able to see the topics that you've marked.

2) On the bottom-right of the main Index page, there is a link that says "Mark all posts as read". After reading all new posts, just click that and wait for new stuff to appear.

- Again, these are just partial and rather clunky methods of solving these issues, but hey, at least they work (sort of...) :)

-Lyn-

.. these are just partial and rather clunky methods of solving these issues ..

Yep clunky indeed, but thanks for the constructive reply! :blink:

Though for (1) "My Posts":

It's definately about more than only own topics. And "Track this topic" is a way too clunky method, imho.

What I already figured out (before I posted my missing/annoying things post) is using the Search function:

- Filter by Member Name: Mar©

- Match Exact Name: check

- Search Where: All Forums (the forum you're currently viewing will be selected; handy, but not in this case)

- (Search posts from.. Any date)

--> and.. Perform the search

This gives exactly the list I want!

I bookmarked the address of the search results page.. unfortunately this doesn't work, I think the list is stored in the searchid argument. <_<

So this is still a clunky way, it should be able with a single click:

My Controls · 0 New Messages · View New Posts · My Posts · My Assistant

Another clunky way to check on own posts:

1. Click on your own name to go to your profile

2. Click on "Find all posts by this member"

3. ... transfer ... B)

4. In the url, change the last word "posts" into "topics"

Still,

** I'd love to see "My Posts" available as a link like I mentioned in my previous post.

And if it's not too much work for Those Who Control The Forum Looks And Behaviour:

** don't let forums stay marked with the "New Posts" icon, only because the forum (topic list) wasn't viewed,

** let "This post has been edited by ..." not be an option but standard when a post has been edited after it already has replies,

** add time format customization.

These are the major things I'd like to see improved about IPB. I tried to find solutions on the IPB site/forums, but unfortunately I can't read their support forums.

Mar©. <-- And that's the best thing about this board, my name gets shown as it should be! ;P