Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jamesvm

that's actually not a bad idea..too many times i have gone afk to come back and find people have talked to me, so i type back to them to only find they are long gone :D

that's actually not a bad idea..too many times i have gone afk to come back and find people have talked to me, so i type back to them to only find they are long gone :D

wow came up with good idea cool

I agree, very good idea.

13:32 < teh banned 0n3na> Yeah it gets all services and after that you can deny what you want. :D

13:32  * teh banned 0n3na drinks her first coffee today.

13:32 < rogk> first one what's the time. Here is 14.31

That format looks nice isn't it?

Regards.

But should that be local time or game time?

game time

because then if some one use log to tell like person scamming you will know when was

Local of course. Game time is only 6 hours so it not gives you anything.

If you go to work and leaving EL client running at come 3:21 will tell you

nothing.

Regards.

nothing.

Regards.

your right is better local time

nothing.

Regards.

Local time =?

i live in holland and we dont use AM or Pm here so its hard for me :D

or put a new option in the icon bar with Pm's

Local time means time that has been set on your system.

So if you use marsian encoded time it will be used.

Also I suggest something like that:

Day changed to 20 Aug 2004

So if you stay online and you pass the midnight or when

you will turn off the game and switch it back next day it

something like that will appear and it will be logged.

Then you can have really cool logs.

Regards.

It's got to be game time to be consistent across the board. The game clock is 6 hours, but if you're AFK for more than 6 hours at a time, I don't think it matters that you've missed a message from 6+ hours ago.

I vote for game time, so make it game time or I'll quit and never play again and take all my friends with me and post bad things about EL all over the place and then no one will play and Ent lose the game and have to go become a garbage man, cause nobody listens to me!

I vote for game time, so make it game time or I'll quit and never play again and take all my friends with me and post bad things about EL all over the place and then no one will play and Ent lose the game and have to go become a garbage man, cause nobody listens to me!

Really now??? even in small text u shouldn't say nething like that

Really now??? even in small text u shouldn't say nething like that
I don't usually like to explain myself, but just this once: Often I will sign off a message with some threat to quit the game for a stupid reason. My intention is to parody the other players who have decided to quit the game for silly reasons and feel the need to post those reasons on the forums, in the hopes of starting some controversy.

ps. If you ever make me explain myself again, I'll quit. And Entropy is a meany.

ps. If you ever make me explain myself again, I'll quit.

Now wtH do you mean with that?? :shock:

:D

[edit] Okay okay, that was a cheap shot.. :wink:

You are outta topic man. Cos we r talkin' 'bout teh logz in teh 31337 el client.

Bastardz r in teh Flamez Section, bro.

Regardz.

I figured the converstation on topic was over. As usual, someone has an idea, people comment on it and then nothing happens. Then, as usual, I jump in and help the thread break down into a meaningless chatter and eventually an end due to loss of interest. And here we are!

So let's get back to it. Here's what's decided:

a) Adding the time to messages is a good idea

:D Use the game time, cause that what I want and it makes the most sense.

Question: Will the server add the time to message, or the client who sends it? If the server, then will the size of a pm need to be reduced in the client so there's an extra 6 characters of space for the time to added before being sent?

From here, we need to decide a plan of action:

a) Does this have any hope of being added to the official client? If so, continue:

:D Who's going to implement this?

c) When can we expect it in the CVS?

d) When can we expect the next official client release, which will include this enhancement?

Don't let this idea and thread die in obscurity, let's get something decided and a plan in place. Go team!

There is hope in the official client for sompething like this, and it is the Client that should add the time based on el.ini options. It does not make sens for the server to add the time.

The client gets the current ingame time from the server (right?).

So no need to send any time in the messages, the client can just put the time in front of the message.

Looks like it's only a client-side change.

I thought the server should add the time stamp, just to avoid spoofing by client modifcations. I see little value in spoofing the time, but I'm sure someone with more imagination could use it to cause some confusion that works to their advantage. If it's from the server you can rely on it.

could put when day change sever one get type in #date have dispayed when it changed day to it so if 28-03-0000 change to 29-03-0000 in game then displayed in message like it 29-03-0000 or when loged in and changed day it well as logged in put message out 29-03-0000

I thought the server should add the time stamp, just to avoid spoofing by client modifcations. I see little value in spoofing the time, but I'm sure someone with more imagination could use it to cause some confusion that works to their advantage. If it's from the server you can rely on it.
Ehm.. you could also just edit the chat_log..

There's really no sense in sending time stamps with messages because the clients already get the current time from the server.. So AFAIC there's only be a change in the client, to put that time in front of the received message, *in your console/chat_log*. (Not even a slight change in the packages to/from the server needed.)

Like I said, it probably matters very little. My spoofing concern was to do with something like this:

I mod my client to send out weird time stamps on pm's.

I pm a n00b and tell him his clock is wrong. For proof, check the time on my pm!

Tell the noob it's a bug and here's how you fix it: Shut down EL and then delete the el.ini file. EL will rewrite the file next time you start the game and you'll be fine.

And I'm sure there's more imaginative ways to mess with people, I just haven't spent more than 5 seconds thinking of any.

[Edit: Ok, I'm retarded. I just re-read your post and realised that if you append the time stamp to the received message, there's no spoofing possible. I'll bash my head into the wall as punishment for not reading. Bad Fred.]