Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aira

Rituals and Burnings

She was locked away, trapped.. a prisoner by her own father. The Priest of Eyornrack. How could he do this to her? His own flesh and blood. His own daughter?

"Please, please let me go! You... you can't do this to me, father!!", she cried out franticly from behind the cold, hard, steel bars that imprisoned her from the rest of the world. She had been born different. With gifts... gifts to help people. Not very many humans are born with the gift, and she wanted to use it for good.

She brushed her blond curls back as they flung about her pale face. Her majestic robes of the One United Family shown brightly from the light coming in from the window of the dungeon.

From the day of her birth, her father thought she had been cursed. Odd things happened around her, such as inanimate objects suddenly gaining life and flying across the room. She had been born a witch, and a witch she would be.

I've got to get out of here, I've just got to, she thought to herself in a frantic attempt to come up with a strategy to free herself. A guard marched slowly by, and stopped at her cell. He peered in, took off his helmet and blew her a kiss. She was very beautiful. No lie. She had so many people, men and women alike, gazing lustfully after her when she'd walk into the city that everyone thought that she had bewitched them.

Anger coarsed through her vains as she ran to the cell door and kicked it hard with her foot. The anger was dulled by pain, which in the end caused more anger. She picked up a vase hanging from a small oak cabinet in the cell and chucked it at cell bars. It shattered into dozens of pieces, and the guard only chuckled, winked, and strode on down the hall towards the other cells.

Sounds of women and children crying flooded the hallways. The shushing sounds of their mothers only added more to the deafening noise.

I've got to get out of here... I've just got to, she thought again.

------------

As Aira neared the Eyornrack village gates, his mind wondered to the beautiful lush scenery around him. Such pleasant things always brightened his mood.

"Hault... name yourself.", the guard at the gate ordered.

"I am Aira La'Ean, royal elf and traveler. I am told this is the land of the human Priest and King, Yurwida. Is this so?" Aira answered.

"It is. You may enter, traveler."

The gates slowly rose, and Aira entered on the cobblestone road leading towards the town center. As he neared a thatched cottage, someone ran out from it's stone fence and ran straight into him, knocking him down.

With the flash of rosey cheeks and soft lips set in a pout, the crinkle and swirl of the black cloak, and the stirring of dust as she ran from behind the fence, her heels clicking against the stone of the street, scratching and scuffing the bottoms of her shoes, before she ran into someone accidentally.

She stumbled forward, thrusting her hands before her as she went to catch herself, falling face forward, her hands sliding from beneath her. The swirl of bright colored cloth and a flash of frightened expression, her left cheek hit the stone, stinging badly as it scraped through the soft cherried flesh. Her hood remained low on her head, hiding most of her face. She had snagged the cloak and hood on her way out, and in a hurry such as she had been, she had not bothered to look where she went.

She stood slowly, brushing her small hands over the rough cloth of the cloak, removing dirt and small pebbles that clung absently to the cloth, her nails catching on the cloth and glinting and glimmmering like glass in the light.

Her voice sounding a definite soprano, and filled with a womans charm and grace, though she was a small and miserable looking presence, she tilted her head as far back as she could to look over the low hem of the hood, to better see whom she had run into in her misjudging and careless clumsiness.

"I am terribly sorry!", she managed to gasp, upon seeing the Elf before her, startling her, as she clasped her hands beneath the pleats of the cloak, letting it fold on the soft flesh as she did so. She hoped that he would understand her hurry, and would not punish her for her clumsy composition.. She was not normally so clumsy, it was unintentional.

Aira only looked up at her and smiled, his grin cheering her up. Who was this.. elf? They didn't have elfs in their town.. what was he doing here?

"What's the fastest route to the castle, madam?" Aira asked her, his head bowed slightly. She shuffled her her dress, brushing the dust from the cobblestone road off, and looked back up to him.

"Well, you can take the road to the left, down by the blacksmith.. that's the fastest way I think. I don't usually go there, you see... only to pay our monthly taxes." She looked into his eyes and backed away. "Your... your eyes... they're... like fire or something." Aira, a little embarassed, averted his eyes, ashamed, and then looked back at her.

"Well now.. there's many many roads. Perhaps I should take you. Why don't you come around back while I gather up my best two horses?" she said warm and full of welcome. Only 3 minutes into the city walls and already he found assistence.

Tumaros tugged on the reins, slowing his horse.

"Hold, Dae'or..." he murmured. He fixed his gaze on a spot on the horizon. He could see the faint orange glow of fire. He could smell the fumigating smoke as it floated in the air. He could hear the screams...the screams of the dying citizens.

"It appears that Eyornrack has come under attack," he murmured, half to his steed and half to himself. "But why..."

Tumaros shook his head, blowing hair out of his face. Normally, his duty as a ranger and the appointed Protector of the Forests for this land, he would remain solely in the woods, tending to forgotten campfires and such. However...he could not just stand there and watch a town burn before him.

"Eyornrack is far..." he said simply, looking at Dae'or. His mount neighed softly, and Tumaros (who happened to be proficient in translating all languages) understood it, with a smile, a, "Not far for me."

He tugged on the reins again, and they were off at blinding speeds toward the already half-charred city of Eyornrack.

Before the fallen empire

As Aira and the woman walked around to the back of her house, they were met by oak stables with stallions tied up on pins.

"We will take this one. I'll be right back with my wagon. I need to transport this week's supply of milk to the eastern empire." she said with a warming smile. She walked around to the side of the stable and brought back with her a wagon of sorts, full of jugs of milk. Labels were on the jugs in some language Aira couldn't understand.

"By the way... my name's Aira." he said, getting more familiar with the woman. She was old, as he looked closely at her. Her hair was not a really light blond, but was white with age. She had crinkles around her eyes, justifiying her age.

"Oh my, why didn't I introduce my self earlier? .. My name's Estregen, Aira. You.. you are an elf.. aren't you?" she said uncertainly, her hands grasping her dust stained fur cloak. Her pale silver eyes mounted on his ears curiously.

"Yes, I am an elf.. why?"

"Well, we don't get that many elves... here. You'd better take my cloak.. cover up those ears of yours."

"Why? What's wrong with them?"

The empire of Eyornrack was not an empire that welcomed any creature other than their own. The humans. Not one elf was safe in Eyornrack, but were shipped off to the eastern villages to act as miners and slaves. But no one, not even Estregen had ever seen an elf that looked as he did.. firey red hair... red, glowing eyes... skin as white as snow, and freckles splotched about. And also the strange get-up he was wearing. Grey, flowing robes with gold embroidery... the most beautiful embroidery she had ever seen. He had strange, black pointed boots. Such things were not welcomed in Eyornrack, and would lead to almost certain danger..

Aira could sense there was something that the nice old woman wasn't telling him... something that was very important... something he needed to know. But what?

He draped the cloak around him, covering his ears with the hood. The cloak smelt musty and old... the same smell as the woman.

He cought himself in the footsteps of his train of thought... what was he becoming? A biggot... a well pocketed rich, royal elf that thought of everyone else as a 'lower class'? No... such thoughts weren't like him.

But, yet.. as he looked at the nice old woman, who had seated herself at the reins of the stallion and signaled for him to join her, his thoughts merely drifted away, as a log floating in a stream.

Meanwhile,the guard outside the skirts of the castle town looked on,hearing a pair of heavy footsteps on the path down his view.A cloaked figure was skipping down the road towards him.Everything hid but bare feet under a dark green cloak,mud crusted on many places.It continued,almost skipping head on intot he gate.The guard extended his spear,the wooden handle stopping infront of the figure.It haulted and turned its head towards the guard.he cleared his throat,"Hault.~~"he began but was cut off though as a slightly squeaky voice comeing from beneath the cover of the hood,"But,im already stopped!"it tapped its foot,putting a hand on its hip,the overly large cloak hanging over its hand.The guard blinked a few times at it in silence,unused to getting interrupted by strangers then frowned,"Ah..well..name?"the figure tilted its head then pulled back its hood.Black,bushy hair fell down to the small of its back as the face of the creature was shown.Bright green eyes along with cheery red lips,a very pretyy young girl,though was only about 4 feet tall,"Name's Draca."The guard wasnt listening though.He was focused on the two long,pointed gray ears pertruding from her skull,breaking parts in her hair.Tipped with long,black fur that bent slightly due to gravity,it was truley a sight to see,taking much attention off of whatever else she was saying.He finnaly regained his composure,finding her kicking his shins,"ey!EY!You up there!Ya listin'?I wanna get inside!"With that,he reached up to the bell above him and rang it loudly.More guards came running at this.he grabbed her shoulder fiercly and said as they came near,"Take this away!keep her away from the villagers"He thrust her towards them and she landed at thier feet.They picked her up roughly,and dragged her through the village,she kicking her little legs and screaming curses as different villagers and farmers stared on.

They were traveling down the main road, the old woman and Aira were, when a bell rang through the lower village. Even thought they had ventured into the upper middle of the empire, they could hear a slightly flat gong sound around them.

Guards were hurrying up the road as a prison carriage was pulled behind them. Aira, interested, asked the woman kindly to slow down to a hault. She did as he asked with a faint smile.

"I wonder who is in there...", Aira mumbled as the guards marched past their milk cart. That was when Aira got a glimpse of the prisoner, shackled and locked in the carriage, her black hair streaming over her tear stained face, her pointed ears drooped sadly.

Aira gasped, now suddenly realizing what dangers awaited elves. These people were racist, racist against those who were not of their kind. But wait... the old woman seemed to have taken a liking to him. Perhaps not all in the empire thought other creatures were lower than them.

Aira felt a twinge in his heart as guilt flooded through him. How could he have thought such biggotry against this nice old woman. After all, she had made sure he wasn't caught. He owed her for her friendship. And if she was caught smuggling an elf through the empire, she would surely be in just as much trouble as he.

"...hey...HEY..wake up,you rat!"was the words draca woke up to.she blinked grudgily and looked around.she had been shacked up to the wall,her feet only barely being able to touch the ground.vision becoming clearer,she found herself in a dark,dirty cell.How did i get in here..she thought to herself.It all came back to her though when she lifted her head a little,and saw the guard looking in at her through the bars,"Look.You mind your manners and keep that sassy mouth of your's shut and everything will be okay"he walked off and she narrowed her eyes.He was the same guard who had hit her out cold with a club on the top of her head.a club!as if she was some animal!Her blood ran hot at this thoughts,but her mind was soon taken off of it,a headache fogging her mind as her head smarted every time she flickered her ears.Glancing up to her shackles a little hope was given to her as she saw how loose they were-her wrists being too small for them.with only a twist and sqeeze she was free from them,and she scurried over to the bars.looking through she saw the hallways of the cells,and some of the prisoners.Most of them were poor souls,dirty and huingry by the looks of it,all with most hope forgoten like they had forgotten daylight.she had expected as much.looking around a little more her green eyes stopped short,spotting a girl.with clean hair and fair skin,she had guessed she new here like herself.she wasnt able to see her robes at the angle she was in,but it wouldnt have mattered ot her anyways,"hey..hey...girl!"she whispered.it didnt work.she frowned then wailed out,her paitence already have been cut short from her less than warm weclome,"HEY!BLONDY!"everyone looked up at this,including the princess.satisfied with her attention she smirked,"You know any way to get out of here?"the other frowned,"if i 'knew' how to get out of here,i woudlnt 'be' in here."she was joined by the guy in the cage next to hers,"yeah!now leave her alone you rat or your gonna get it!"draca scowled then walked from the bars.she hated being called that.reaching up she took one of her ears in her hand and bent it down just enough to look at the tip.she liked them herself...her mother had been cursed when she was pregnant,yes,but no one else at thier village considered it a curse.she had lots of friends, there,she was smart,heck,she could do most things alot better than all the other children.when she came of age,the only thign different other than her ears was her size,and she didnt mind that either.it made it easier to slip through bigger one's legs.she smiled at the thoughts from home,and it helped clear her temporary anger.turning back to the bars she looked out,seeing the girl still looking her way,"look...err..princess...i dont know who you are,but im not up for staying here the rest of my life.Im willing to help you get out.If your really someone important then you can use that to our abilities.Just...help.."the other girl was silent for a moment then nodded.

The milkwagon arrived at the Castle Gates after about an hour and a half of riding the wide, villager trodden streets of the Empire's upper village. The thoughts of the elf in the prison wagon came back and veered through Aira's mind as a guard, cloaked and holding a staff, approached them.

"Hault... what is your business with the Royal Family," he asked, bowing slightly as a token of respect to the old and feeble woman. She simple nodded, and gave him a very thin piece of parchment, what looked like a royal emblem stamped on it's front.

"You may enter," he announced stoutly, a small click of his staff kocking against the ground. The large, iron railed gates gave a mightly creak as they slowly and gracefully rose off the cobblestone road. Aira's thoughts of biggotry began to seep back into his mind.

Pfft, my empire was greater than this...

He stopped himself, then gave himself a frown. How long would these thoughts haunt him?

"okay....just a little more.."draca murmered to herself.she was stretching her arm little by little from the bars of her cell.off in the right,the guard was being preoccupied by the priest's daughter.she glanced over to draca everyonce in a while to see if she had it.this was so humiluating..she stroked the guard's head a few times through the bars,he was gazing longingly to her,smiling widely.drac'a finger tip caught the ring holding all the keys and yanked it into her cell without a sound.at this the other girl scowled and backed away from the guard,"get away from me you creep!"he frowned and turned with a swish,cheeks burning from the cat calls from the other cells.he walked off mumbling.when draca was completly sure he was gone,she fumbled with the lock and then opened her door.she glanced longingly in the direction of the other pleading prisoners,but the girl frowned,"no..dont let them out.not now.we dont want to direct too much attention to us trying to get out"draca nodded then opeend her door.the girl walked out and draca lifted her eyebrows,"whoa..nice outfit.where did you steal it?"the daughter folded her arms,"i didnt steal them!these are my clothes.Im the High Priest's daughter.and you are...?"she traield off,looking her from head to tip of her ears.draca smiled in all her four feet glory,"im an elf!"the othe girl didnt seem satisfied,"well...you dont..look like one...I mean,"she added quickly,seeing the growing scowl on drac'a face,"ive seen pictures of elves in my books.they are tall..i cant say your any higher than a few feet..and thier ears arnt...err...furry"at this htough,draca smiled,"well,we all arnt perfect.My momma was an elf,so was my father.I liek them personally"she reached up and pulled on her left ear.the girl frowned,"well...lets not get into explanations.that can wait for later.lets get out of here before the gaurd comes back..."draca smirked,"for more?"she then yiped when the girl stomped on her foot then huffed over to the door,looking though the crack in it.draca rubbe dher foot for a moment then opened the door as the girl stepped back from it,"okay...no ones here,lets go!"she ran through,leaving the other girl standing there,"wait,we.."she sighed then ran after her into the darkness

Arafin watched as two cloaked figures rode through the large iron gates on in a wagon. As he walked the narrow walkway of the astle walls he kept his eyes on the growing fire.

Two more hours till my shift ends....

He stroked his sword with his right hand and hoped for some action that he knew would never come while standing on the walls of such a mighty kingdom. He longed to be sent back into the front lines.

His intricatly designed armor handed down to him by his father-a once rich and powerful noble now long gone and forutes gone-was starting to take a toll on his body. It shined blue brilliance in the afternoon sun. His chest plate line with chain mail underneath a layer of mithril armor. He had his helmet resting on the ledge of the walls to give him a better line of vision. His leggings were also a thin layer of mithril over top of lether breeches. And to top it off mithril boots with wool lined thickly inside to give comfort.

His long blone hair flowed in the afternoon breeze as he watched the horizon and longed for the love of his life.....war.[/i]

A heavy breeze caught Aira's fiery red hair, sloppily twisting it around the bar to the cart behind him. As he leaned forward, his eyes watered at the pain of several strands of hair being pulled out of his head. Grabbing his hair in one hand, he spun around and untied the knot binding his hair to the bar of the cart. A flash of the evening's sunlight reflected from a sword of a guard caught his attention. The guard looked up at him, oddly smiling, then looked up toward the setting sun. THe guard's blonde hair blew with the wind, giving him a noble stance in apearance.

Aira, now boored at this, turned to the old woman.

"Sorry to bother you, but where exactly do they take their prisoners," he asked her.

"Well, I think they take them to a prison of some sort... most likely under the castle. That's my guess," she replied, looking at him oddly.

"Okay... just wondering."

She smiled, and waved it away. "You're new to this country aren't you, fair one?" He smiled back and nodded, but his smile quickly dissapeared. They had arrived at the castle's front entrance, its high, redoak doors looming over them as they climbed the steps to them. Even before they had arrived and reached for the brass lion knocker, the door creaked open.

Stepping inside, their feet hit a richly woven rug that covered the entire floor. Beyond the carpet was what looked like some sort of gathering area. They castle in itself was not that welcoming, as there were the heads of animals, some of humans, hung on the high, cold, grey stone walls. Odd trinkets and metal instruments of torture also glimmered in the eerie blue light cascading down from the lit torches strewn about the castle.

The area around them opened to a winding staircase on both the right and left sides of them, a red rug connecting the marble steps to the rug below their feet. Aira could only stand there in awe, while the woman beckoned him to follow her up the right staircase leading to an upper floor with high, almost monastary-like stained glass windows.

Draca walked though the winding hallways,her bare feet making no sound on the stone. Behind her,the clippy clap of the other girl's shoes could be heard echoing througout the hall. She scowled and looked behind her,"Do you HAVE to be that loud?!" The girl frowned,then chucked a shoe at Draca. She ducked then growled at her. The other girl froened and crossed her arms,"LOOK. I know we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. Lets just start clean.Im sorry that i snapped at you back in the prison." Draca frowned then sighed,"Okay then. One question though. Where do they put the prisinors stuff?" The other girl shrugged,"I think, if its anything valuable, they give it as gifts to royal visitors. I remember a Duke staying in this town,and left with the gold watch of an old man down here." Draca's eyes grew wide,"What!?They WOULDN'T give my clothes to some..some..guy!" She then ran off,leaving the other girl in the darkness again. Meanwhile, off in the castle, a guard WAS carrying her stuff. Arms carrying a silk dress and many jewelry of the tiny elf he put it all in a basket and shoved it to one of the servants,"Look though this rubbish and take out anything valuable." The servant looked down and frowned,"Sir,If i may,But this looks like a lady's things..You didn't just leave her down there bare...did you?" The guard shook his head,"She was causing trouble, that one. I left her the cloak she had. Nasty thing, it was. Under it though, she was dressin' like a gypsy. Now go on,take care of it and throw away anything useless." The servant bowed with a nod and turned to his work. Taking out a few silk and colorful garmets, along with some very expensive looking jewelry, he came across one piece of jewelry that was acceptionally good. I was a bracelet. With a slender, golden band it was lined with tiny diamonds by the looks of it, with one large, blue saphire encrested on it. He set it aside and then went back to his work.

Aira and the woman had reached the end of the windowed path as a guard hurried past carrying odd like clothing. Aira sneered, thinking that who ever owned these pieces of clothing must be poor. It was the jewels that changed his mind, and as his red eyes caught the blue sparkle of the saphire sitting on the silk dress, his sneer dissapeared.

He turned to the woman, who was walking a little faster now. She rounded on a door, then swung it open, now running with her cloak held up in her hands. Grabbing a blue flamed torch, she took off once more, racing up a staircase leading to some place hidden in the depths of shadow. Aira was right behind her, his rage building up at her sudden fleeting. Was she trying to ditch him? It sure seemed so.

As she reached the top step, she threw the torch over the stair rail to the right, then flung herself threw the open door to her left. Aira was thrown into the darkness of the castle's windowless corridoors. His rage built and burst from him, sending sparks from his fiery red eyes. The air around him was heating up, his ruby that dangles around his neck gave sudden erruptions of light. His feet rose from the floor as the light from his ruby lit the corridor. The door was in sight, and he had one thing in mind.

Kill the woman that decieved him.

"hmmm...we are almost out of here..finnnaly..but we need a way to get past whoever we come upon"said the girl,turning to draca.she frowned then tapped a bare foot,biting her lower lip,"well..umm.you know,i never thorught thta far ahead..i guess we just attack,if we cant get away"the other girl shook her head,"are you crazy?YOUR only 4 feet tall and i think your best weapon is how big of a mouth you have!"draca looked back then smiled.Amung her many flat teeth were canine teeth,right where they should be,but larger than normal ones,"i'll bite them,you run.I might not do much but i can break skin"she turned and started walking again.the girl ebhind her sighed exasperatedly then followed.

They walked for hours it seemed,never getting any closer.draca was as turned around as the other girl was,and they kept coming across a simular pile of bones again and again.draca sighed then turned around,"were going in circles!i thought you knew how to get out of here!"the daughter frowned,"i do!but if SOMEONE hadnt have ran off before i coudl tell them,we coudl have taken the short way out..."she trailed off,looking around,"but now,im so turned aroudn we cant go back...wait,look.."she walked towards a few loose stones in the wall,"i think ive heard of these..secret pasages.help me push.."she threw her weight against it,and draca pushed with her hands.after a few mintues if heaving,it slowly opened and they both smiled,"ah,well,its dark,but its ebtter than conitnuing circles"they walked though,then draca started running.leaving the girl behind she frowned then yelled after her,"wait!what are you doing!there isnt an ounce of light in here,you will get lost!"draca just laughed,"i can see fine,theres a light up ahead-OMPH!"she went tumbling backwards after runnign head one into someone.she groaned and opened an eye,to see the daughter standing beside her,wide eyes fille diwth fright.she turned her head ans looked apon an elf.flaming red hair and burning eyes,he looked very veyr angry.she lowered her ears,worndering thier fate

Grabbing his helmet he began walking to the set of spiral staircases descending down into the inner walls of the castle. As he reached the bottom he was met by the guard that was meant to replace him lying on the ground sleeping.

"Get up you good for nothing knave!" Arafin kicked him hard in the gut. The man coughed an heaved but he managed to get up after a little scurrying around at seeing his commander. "Yes, sir. Right away, sir." The man darted off up the stairs.

Arafin started for his sleeping quarters. After being in the sun most of the day he was beat and wanted to get comfortable in his rooms. As he entered the gaurdsman door he heard a crashing sound......

Big, bright, startled eyes met Aira's, as he ran into an elf head on in the corridoor. His glow subsided, plunging them into total darkness. He could hear someone, a girl perhaps, shounting at them.

"Hey! Don't leave me here in the dark and all alone!!! Do you know who I am?!" shouted the voice. Even in the total darkness they could make out where the sound was coming from, and grabbing hands, the two elves trotted off to find it.

It was the princess, angered and frustrated for being left behind.

"Sorry for not introducing myself... err..." muttered the tiny furry elf.

"Oh, sorry. My name's Aira La'Ean.. you can call me Aira, I guess," said Aira in response to her.

"Hello, Mr. Aira. My name's Draca... and this ditzy doof sitll hasn't told me her's. I even helped her escape from the prison!!"

It suddenly made sense to Aira. It was her he had seen in the prison carriage on the way up to the castle. She had escaped only a few minutes ago and had run into him in the cooridoor. So, this corridoor leads down to the prison cells.

"Ahh... well, I think we best be going..." started Aira, but stopped short as a guard came running down to corridoor, torch in hand and shedding light amongst the creatures.

"Stop! Hault, in the name of the king!!!" he shouted as he raced towards them, his sword pointed straight at them. It was the same guard Aira had seen at the castle's foregrounds, just before they came upon the main gate.

"Run!! Run!!," Aira shouted, and they took off, the princess being the first to bolt down back towards the prison cells. Draco was infront of Aira, and the guard was right at their heels, now and then the tip of his sword reaching Aira's back and only causing Aira in return to gain more speed. They came upon a split in their path, and the Princess, knowing the castle, took the left path. Draca, confused, went down the right one, and Aira and the guard went down the left one after the princess.

Draca ran through the dark hallways, almost perfectly sure that the other two ran behind her. Finnaly calming down enough to slow down to a trot, she chanced a glance backwards to find herself completely alone. She frowned then risked speaking up,"Hey...Aira..?" She furrowed her eyebrows then squeaked up,"Hey princess! ...Anyone..?" She went quiet and bit her lower lip, mind racing. She could go forward..and chance what might she run into. Or she coudl go back to find the others, but that would mean running into more guards. And staying put wouldnt do, she was already very thristy and hungry. The whole reason for coming to this blasted town was to restock on food and water,she thought angrily to herself. Turning back to the direction she was running she squinted, and saw no light. Sighing, she started forward.

After what seemed like hours to her, Draca ran into a dead end. Feeling around the smooth wall infront of her with her hands she let loose a long string of curses, not bothering to stifle them for she was very sure she was the only one down there. Growling, she slamed a fist on the wall then turned to lean against it, folding her arms, frusterated, as she grumbled. Fatigue gnawed at her and she leaned more heavily against it, untill she fell through. Landing flat on her back she groaned and rubbed the back of her head then looked around. The other side of the wall was a fireplace, the wall opening half way like a door. A secret passage way. She looked around and had ended up in some sort of study, the only sound was the crackling of the candles that lit the room brightly. She got to her feet quickly and pushed the fireplace back into place, it slided easily. She walked over to the door across the room and came across a very decorated room. Silk hanged from the wall, pillows lined the floor. Walking slowly to the middle of the room, there was a very plush bed with a pink silked canopy, the many comforters and sheets sprinkled with flowers infront of her. She grinned stupidly and toddled up onto the bed. Snuggling under the covers she curled up. As soon as she laid her head on the pillow she had fell asleep.

Arafin had been chasing the two for atleast ten minutes. He had gone around bends, curves, stairs, pillars, and water. He was becoming exhausted. He was chasing after them and they were slowly pulling away. However, Arafin knew their was a door that was locked at the end of the hallway, and not many people had a key to it. Knowing they had no here to hide or go he slowed to a walk, and pulled out his sword. His right arm already held his shield inscribed with the kings crest.

He was one of the only left handed knights the king had, and was proud of the fact he was very good at welding his sword. He had won many tournaments and b doing so had landed him as head of the gaurds. Only five people had more authority inside the castle then he did-the king, queen, princess, count Ishbar, and the head of the Kings Gaurd.

As he approched the doorway he knew he would have to fight as they did not look like the type to give up easily. When he arrived at the locked door, there was no one there. Arafin reached out and pulled on the door and it gave way. Reaching down to his side to retrieve the key he noticed it was gone,"Those thieves stole my key. I will have to inform the king right away."

Racing off to inform the king of intruders, he started to race down a set of stairs and tripped. He rolled the last few feet of the stairs and stood up. His head was pounding and he started to spin..."ooomff"...everything went black...

Aira turned to notice only that the guard wasn't at his heels anymore. He knew that the guard had more than likely gone to inform a higher athority that they were in the castle, and that the Princess had escaped from her cell. He turned back around, a little too late, and ran into the back of the princess. They both fell onto the cold, grey, stone floor, the princess's robes cluttered about Aira's face. Aira's head was at her feet, her head to his feet. She hurridly got up, regaining posture and pride, working herself up into a fit of rage.

"How dare you rush into to me like that, filthy elf!" she squealed at him, and for the first time he noticed just how lovely her voice was, even screeching. A slight grin apeared at his face, but quickly dissapeared as she slapped him hard against his right cheek, then brought her hand back accross the left.

Dumbfounded, his cheeks turned a bright shade of red, hidden (thankfully) by the blue light of the torches lit overhead. His ruby flashed a show of pink, causing Aira's face to glow hot even the more redder.

"Umm... more guards are bound to be following us... perhaps we should get a move on." He said, starting off down the corridoor once more, no idea where it led.

"Just a moment there, I'm not finished with you yet!" she cried out, her rage at its peak.

Aira had to maintain some defiance, or else they would never get out of that cooridoor.

He looked back and sighed to her, "Listen, if we don't hurry, they are sure to catch up with us. Why not move now so that we STAY ahead of them. And no more griping and whining or I'll ditch you like that!" He snapped his fingers to give his last sentence some meaning.

If she hadn't had been so furious with him, she would have smiled. But she choked that down and followed suit, her lips pursed.

Back in the bedroom, as Draca slept, something kept it's one pale eye on her from amongst the bedpost. It slowly crept onto the sheets beside her leg, sniffing as it went, its forked tongue wipping in and out of its mouth as a serpent's would. Draca felt something brush her leg, and she very slowly lifted her right eyelid only to shriek in surprise and crawl up to the front of the bed. For what was on her leg was a meer one-eyed chameleon who had desguised itself so as she would not notice.

It sat up on its rear legs and smiled. Draca frowned at this, then shook her head. The chameleon opened it's mouth and said, "Why hello there, girly. What are you doing in this bed, girly? Those ears... are you an elf, girle?!" It was clearly fascinated with her, as she felt quite the oposite towards him.

"Yes, I am an elf, you stupid creature, and if you call me 'girly' one more time I'll cut off that nasty tongue of yours!" she spit at him.

It grimaced, growled, then spun fast, slashing her face with its wiry tail. Blood dripped from the fresh wound on her cheek. Her ears lowered in anger.

"Why... you little.." she was saying when she lept forward to grab him, but he slipped from her fingers and climbed atop the bedpost, blending in with the red oak finish. "Damn you!"

"Not me, and you better be careful girly or else you'll get the clock.", the talking chameleon said as it gracefully somersaulted off the polished bedpost and onto the floor, scurrying through the open doorway and into the blue lit hallway beyond.

She was left with his last few words, "You'll get the clock." That raced through her mind a few times, 'the clock'... what was 'the clock'?

She was to find out soon enough.

Draca growled, being left alone in the room once more. And she was having such a nice dream too... Sighing, She stepped down the bed. This was a very nice room... She wondered who it belonged too. Skipping to the door, she found herself actually in a very nice mood after she calmed down from her rude awakening. She creaked open the door and looked outside. The smell of food met her nose, and she walked toward it. The halls here were brightly lit and decorated with many paintings. Her bare feet liked the feel of the plush carpet under them. Meeting the end of the hall she opened it a little, and her jaw dropped at the site before her. A brightly lit banquit was being laid out by many servants. There were everythign from roast pig to exotic fruits. Thinking with nothing but her stomach she rushed forward, hopped onto the table, and started eating as much as would fit in her mouth at a time. She servants stared at the little elf, then came forward. One put thier hands around her waist and dragger her off the table,"Young miss, get down form there! That food is for the king!" Draca whined and just reached for it in vain from the grasp of the tall servant," Nuuuu.....I want food..."the servant looked down at her with kind eyes, then looked ot the others," She must be the child of one of the prisoners. A little food couldnt hurt...Say miss, how old are you?"draca stopped short. She was almost 18 years old....turning back to him she smiled sweetly,"Im almost 8!" The servant chuckled then put her down,shuffling her back to the servants quarters,"Alright young miss. Back through here, you can have all the food you like. Just dont come out, we dont want the king to see you" Draca hopped along with him, then sat down on one of the tables. Everyone there was pretty nice,she thought. She eyed the servants as they bustled about, and saw many different things. Humans of all shape, color, and gender. A few eleves, even a dwarf or two. She thought this had to be better than the prison cells. That was, untill one of the dwarves tripped. she jumped away from her food and tried to help him up. She then nticed under his ripped pant leg, a shackle. It held around his ankle, dried blood all around it. She gasped softly, then looked to the servant in silent understanding. He quickly got up and shuffled away. Slowly, she went back to her food. Thinking for a little bit, she decided she had to get out of here no matter what, and started stuffing her face to try and gain strength.

Aira and the princess kept walking. Aira couldnt seem to take his eyes off her, most following her than looking for a way out. Within about an hour of walking, the princess stopped and started feeling around the wall,"i know a passage..that leads to the servants chambers..."she pulled out a few blocks then crawled through,"follow me.."Aira obediantly folowed, and they both stood up, in the kitchen.No servants were in there,the banquit was already stared and they were busy elsewhere. But there, in the middle of the kitchen on the floor. There sat draca,eating away. The princess scowled,"You little thief!While we are runnign for our lives your here stuffing yoru fat face!" Draca turned, bewildered,"I..uhh.."the princes then chucked another shoe at her. It hit her between the eyes and she went tumbling backwards. Groanign she rubbed her forehead then looked to them, tears forming in her eyes,"look.dont be mad at me anymore. We have to get out of here!I dont want to be shacked again!"She said, almost hystericaly. Aira looked at her and frowned,"Whats going on..."