Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

The gods

What should be the advantage?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should be the advantage?

• More EXP
    • Skill increase

Umm, yes, but like I said, you'll have to work your ass off for that god, the quests will be simple, but really hard, especially for high levels.

And what's wrong with the religion in a GAME? I don't get it.

=D u didn't read the other one, I dont play EL =P, yet another invalid speculation.

You would be correct, but in this case no, unless being forum active is the same as being ingame active =D.

Religion was suggested as a view of depth, but led to player power ups, point noted, players who believe in a god will have advantages; "work your butt off." Isn't worshipping supposed to be a enriching experience... or so I've heard... ok ok I get it "it's not supposed to be like in real life."

Doesn't mean its supposed to be as aggrivating. (I know what work ur butt off in EL means, it means 100000000 exp till lvl ...... .. .. .. . . 4).

------

Maybe to quell that instead of making the bonus alone how about a penalty for believing in the god as well, I'm still personally not for the entire constant passive powerup just for doing a few mindless quests, but hey if the boat rocks...

Entropy don’t you think you should stop trying to devalue my statements and start worrying about how to solve them?

---

Since I wont be back most likely after this post for about 3 days (YAY) here let me help you out

---

Isn't it enough I watched the game transform for the past 5 months into what it is, playing it or not, I know people who play it, I've been in their situations and this is my comprised data, thank you.

Stop being a politician, you sound so American.

Suddenly I realize why I haven't seen Izzy playing in a long time...

You left EL? Why?

Entropy don’t you think you should stop trying to devalue my statements and start worrying about how to solve them?

Your statements are subjective. You don't like it that way, but you failed to explain WHY, except by saying that religion is teh suck.

You might not like the religion in real life, but this is a game, and religion would only add more depth to it. Since no one is forced to join any god, I don't see why this is a problem.

LOL dude I was the one who said to tumaros lets add a deep story using religion went to roja and bla... If anything I'm all for the religion depth of story, the issue I have is with the bonuses from it. People will play it and forget about the story, I've seen it happen so many times in past games, they add so many bonuses to some new idea that it becomes some circus side show of character power ups; "Now watch the amazing Geleef toss the flaming sword enchanted by his god for 9999 damage because hes uber and put 999 levels into it." Then I dont want the entropy factor adding to it just to cap that off,

Entropy Factor = Rationalizing everything by making it harder and less fun.

That is what I am totally against, just a compound of events preordained to happen.

If you begin with all these power ups then players will drop the story, WHICH TO BEGIN WITH was supposed to be a side quest not a main story line, It was something to add a sense of depth, if you may the tool of the main story to add more feel into the game without sacrificing all the things that you and roja didnt want. That was the point. But when you eventually realize whats happening thats most likely what you will do and it will kill the fun of the story, sure players might read the story but because of the hard game play they will get second thoughts from it.

It would be like taking a bike down hill or walking down hill.

And before you attack my character again let me state; As long as this game has a story that makes people who play it Think I am satisfied.

Sadly, most of the people don't care about the story, this is a well known fact. A lot of very successfull games (Doom, Quake, Runescape, etc.) have no story whatsoever, and people won't care.

If you want to make a real MMORPG game, you are bound to fail, because those who actually want to RP, in a strict RPing enviroment are very few, compared to the crowd, who wants to level up and be the 1337357

Adding gods and their help to the game won't make things different. Those who want to RP using the religion system can still do it, while the masses will use the religion only to be more 1337, and totally disregard the storyline.

How true, Entropy.

I think it would be good to have EL still be, in a sense, an MMORPG, with the RPG part optional. You can select to follow the story line, roleplay with other chars in guilds, and actually play to have fun. Then, of course, there will ALWAYS, no matter what, be the 1337 folk out there who play to RU73 73|-| G4|/|3 :| I think it should be optional, like I said above, so you fulfill the needs of both crowds.

theres that word, I guess I'll have to develop my own game... damn you simple minded!!!!!! not saying the rest.

Look I'm about to go godly smartness izzy right now, I'm feeling he serge in my head that tells me something proverbial is coming up. Take notes.

Have you ever learned what it is like to make a game, I mean your making one but are you designing one? This is the truth and the only truth; the big picture. This is the grandest of tapestrys, it's as clear as day, what players want, what you want, and what is out there.

What is out there is what you want to kill,

What the player wants is what you have to put out.

What you want, is what will make the player have fun and fill your pockets.

That is the simple concept, just like talking to you all life is a battle field, being on constant defence is the only way to learn, ironic but true, never close your eyes when your guarding and always keep your sword ready, because offence is the perfect defence, but only when you have the enemy at a disadvantage.

Understand that simple concept then impliment it into DEVELOPING your game, you will understand exactly what I meant when I said a story being added from that. Players yes do want to level up. But they more so than wanting to be powerful, but what they want more is the reason of being powerful. That is the key, and manipulating it softly like working this microchips you can unlock the door to the perfect mmorpg.

That is it, that is the guideline I use when I full right a story dedicated for a video game, and soon what I intend on using to make not for money but for knowning that I created a story that people understand, want, breath, cherish, and maybe even adopt as a faith, would be my ego's satisfaction.

And it's not just a dead end story, it's like life, but it ends only for those who understand its concepts fully, that is the story I've been working on for almost 14 years. That is the passion everyone should have when creating a video game, it's all for the glory of being able to say something, and have people listening to it.

Which part of the: "There are many successfull games with no story" you didn't understand?

You might have spent your last 14 years making a story, but you didn't make a game.

We are a small team, we do not have the resources to make a game with a very deep storyline. Other companies have people hired exactly to do this, stories.

So far, very few players complained about the lack of story. Most of the players complained about not being able to fight, etc. Now that they can do a lot more than a few months ago, things have changed. They want new things to do, new weapons, monsters, areas, houses, etc. And that's what I'll give them.

I understand every single little bit of it, whatever happened to making EL better? Every since game goes down the same road, there are plenty of games with 300 players rotating online that were made by a time of 4 or less people. Some of them have a very loose story but stories none the less, not to mention they are great mind blasters.

I remember in the early days the set goal was; to make EL a different game than others. But its going almost gone down the same trail. A story is but an example of the lack of awesome ideas that could pop up to make the game different, years I spent making a story aside, fact is that whatever droved you to take on this endeavor must of been frail, dark, or both.

---------

Oh players want more weapons, players want more quests, players want to get to higher levels, ok ya thats all ok, but this is like adding wood to the fire, by doing what your doing your turning EL into a nice expensive toy for new players with no devote ties, Basically its a ohhh nice shiny and FREEE game they probably found on mpogd, which you sponsored by wanting more players in the first place by (not you directly) spamming " vote EL". Those new players and mid new players ask for more stuff more more more, and look what happens at the end, aww this game is garbage, it gets so boring, takes so long for updates, or so many hacks cause woopie it takes so long to get 1337 items I might as well packet my stats and make em.

No matter what you say, EL can and will be hacked, its not invisible, but thats only if there is something to hack and if theres a reason why your hacking it.

----Ok I'm giving you a broad spectrum of things here just stay with me---

Those same players will abandon this game with feeble reasons, the few left will be the come back sometimers, the devotes, and the occasional noob. And of them that will stay, only the one who is too lazy to find another FREEE game or just likes the game.

-------------

That is the road Ive seen an incredible amount of video games that start off with the promise of being different, but for some reason I took this one seriously...

--------------

I don't know what you did other than furcadia before this game, I never played furcadia long enough to find out what the general publics aura was, but from what I knew they were guys who pretended to be chicks and were definably perverts. or yiffers.

---------------

Basically, a strict rpg? that isn’t so, but if my team can understand each one of my concepts, if they can be done, if they have the time to do it, if they agree to do it, you will come to see what the perfect mmorpg is.

I just gave you exactly what you need to turn EL into a mmorpg, if you can perceive it as I do then you can make the changes, if you think you see it and still disagree, then I disagree but thats my opinion.

You might have sacrificed too much to comfort the players, they may be happy with the slow level up system, but after that, eventually the dullest sees it, and all though I consider myself stupid to the great minds I have seen at work, others consider me a genius at the study of human psychology, it might have been just that slight edge, that allows me to see what this game is headed for, by the current and painfully obvious flaws.

The ignorant perceive the informed as wize.

Izzy, I never said we won't add a story. As you can see, the gods do have some backgrunds. But we won't enforce the story, people may or may not stick to it.

As for yuor sumber prediction on how EL will fail without a story, well, other games did very well without any story at all.

I am talking about RS, Sims, and others.

Argh, ok, apparantly you skimed what i wrote, I never directly said story, It might be a riddle to you but to me its the way I think, I only used that as an example, I never meant to have you believe I meant story specificly, its just the way the game is going, the patterns remind me of almost every game I've played before, I'd be wrong to allot of people I know if this game goes the way they did, which in the original layout this game potrayed to myself is "new".

The story is just a begining. And EL wont fail, it will fail yes in my eyes but it will not fail if it stays on its current path, you'll probably make a few thousand here and there, but I'm sure you'll be happy with it. You'll probably come to a point where you will leave to game almost totally, some renagade ex-staff pops up and hacks out making some super admin acting mod, almost a year after you come back and do some talking, and the cycle goes on as in every mmorpg thats been out there, of course this is a specific example.

He time isnt a river, its a ocean, and I see but 1 of the many trials, but I see the one most turtles take; when they go to lay thier eggs.

Izzy, what exactly were your expectations with Eternal Lands? Did you come with a good, solid, tested RPing system idea, which I ignored?

It's simple to say: "this game is dissapointing me", but it's a little harder to actually make a game.

you can kill a game and its creator by saying the game is crap.

I'm not a pro, I have beta tested for a while though, so I consider myself seasoned on the subject.

And I guess you would say your project didn't reach my expectations, or maybe I set them too high, if you still had the hardcore desire to make a great game, if you ever had the desire to do that, I respected that because not many developers nor programmers have that anymore.

Over the years people/players became smarter in one thing and dumber in everything else. I'm just stating what others dont see yet. Its better to level up and have fun and learn why you live and the entire system of it all and to learn that through fantasy, than to just mindlessly slash.

I came face to face with such a person that media has altered, I read too much into everything, so before I can get the point the commercial or whatever was sending the notion did not have its full effect I guess. This kid says that he cant play rpgs anymore, it doesn't feel like hes playing it it feels like its playing him.

I asked him were you paying attention to the story?

He said no, its like I was the story.

That is where the brain is useless for him, and for anyone who thinks a story has to restrict, a indepth one at that...

I was reading a book on games (Developers book), it said, (from a guy who's been in the market since pong.)

"I've been around a while, since the nerds would sit in the garage and make this stuff to the twenty million dollar projects and eight year plans with huge teams, but when it comes to the industry in the future there is going to be a depression, and then authors aside from programmers would be the ones the put together the pieces of what used to be a fun system of things. I see those who are creative enough to know what to do in their own spirit as the ones who will lead into the video game genre and make the changes."

I grasped that book almost 3 years ago, I covered it till it was clear about three times, because I wanted to learn how the industry worked, I came on and ventured into this whirl pool called online gaming, and within that time period only 4 games stood out the most, 2 of them I could help which I did, I dont know how they are doing now but like I said after I help I leave. But the decisions made arent very unique or blasting, they are the same old concepts again and again "Traditionally" used in a hack n slash. I dont even call games like that a mmorpg.

Thats a brief list of my credentials to call myself a beta tester, infact everyone who has ever reported a bug or flaw is a beta tester. It's a easy job nothing to boast about.

This is basically turning into DS but on 1 server.

And dont get me wrong, I cant run EL, last time I tried to run my own project with a group of nitwits it ended up almost half-way done. It was Cocoon =P but it was ok =D. Back then I wasnt the person I am now, but I still know I'm no director or project leader. I may have the ideals but not the stamina to deliver them.

EL was a nice game, its a decent game at one time, it was ok at another, now its just a hmmm... to me.

All I want to do is either see some one come up with a great idea before me or I come up with a great idea, then it is executed and the game is a success, then I leave, once the real success of satisfying the mind of the player and queling any sense of "honor" the developer might have. That's all. nothing more or less, anything short of the perfect game is failure to me, because although perfections isn't possible it does give others something to work against, and the next game that comes out better than EL will take thought and time rather than rush to put together and put it out to make money cause its gonna some systems on it. Then passively killing the intelect of the players.

Games shouldnt be staying on the same level, they should be moving up the ladder.

Progress in technology is fast, the progress in the gaming industry is medium, the progress in the software of the gaming industry is ok, but the thought put into it looks like something a dim witted, single chromosomed gay monkey with 1/2 the brain function that any other single chromosomed monkey would have giving it half its effort.

A half assed job by a lazy retarded monkey. (not calling you one just saying over all)

Man, Izzy, you're one arrogant b*****d today o.O Course, you're full of yourself every day, that's one thing about you that just drives me crazy. You are NOT GOD, Izzy. Oh, wait, you have that whole "thing" about god -.-

arrogance is such a lude word coming from one like you tumaros, I try to devulge the information in a way that you could understand but I get called arrogant, and a b**** at that.

All this assualt coming from a moderator in a non flame section. You should know better.

I suggest the usuage of the religion as a side quest and that gods do not have a substantial effect on the players power. Even if the player plays four years and masters religion it would be dumb for them to be godly off of that.

When I said god mode tumaros I was joking, it just meant I had a brain storm; a rush of thought. You need to think more, well atleast before you press submit.

If you ever again feel the need to call anyone a b**** go right ahead, I have no problems with it, it's just the primal you expressing yourself.

Also level ups should be toned down by about 10% or 30%.

Back to being on topic, what was decided as far as the gods are concerned? I see that Entropy used two of my god's names, I've been away for the holiday and don't feel like rooting through the forums, could someone bring me up to speed about what is going on in this area?

I'm baaaaaaack :D

Hm i got some improvements for the religion system. and because the religion thread is closed ill post it here.

its great cool to get this exp bonus and also the blessing to get a attack or defense bonus is nice. but i think this should be changed a bit because when you use the blessing and go to the place where you want to fight the blessing is like a normal def pot because the def decreases so fast.

thats why i think you should be able to get the blessing everywhere you are.

in my opinion it would be good to link the blessing with the spell system (not with the magix EXP system).

that means when you worship for one of the religions you get a new sigil "aluwens/mortos sigil" then you can cast spells depending on your religion level, worship rank or what this is called. could also be used for summoning helpers to you like "selain create local death" ... or whatever ;)

or "aluwen temporary increase matter protection" ... more spells can be added.

if you think the spells are too strong cause you can always have +10 def/attack then you could add some essences which are only given out by the god-npcs like 5 essences a day or whatever.

well i think it would be quite a good thing cause the way it is now the blessing is like a pot .. like i said before :D

Does it have to cost so much? I like the exp bonus, but really: 100 pairs of enhanced gloves!? Is that a bit much just to get +3% exp?!?!?!

I bought all of the wooden shields (lots of thanks to Sativa for her help! ;)), and the body restoration potions, and now I have to give up 200 plats? Get real...

...I'm going to join Mikeh on the new religion we're developing...Llamaism...it's actually quite successfull so far.

:?

...no, I'm serious!