Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

The gods

What should be the advantage?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should be the advantage?

• More EXP
    • Skill increase

I was thinking about the religious system, and came up with two ideas, so I wanted to ask you guys for your oppinion.

Basically, the gods will be those described in the other thread, on this board.

First of all, there will be 8 affiliation levels with each god.

They will range from -2 to +5

When you join a god, your affiliation will be -2, then as you complete tasks for them, you cana dvance up to level 5. You will be able to be affiliated with 2 gods at the same time. In order to chose other gods, you'd have to leave one (or both) of your faiths, and worship that other god. Your rank with the god you left will be reseted, so if you chose to worship that god again you'll start from -2.

Anyway, the benefits of worsihiping a god:

Way 1: You get additional experience depending on your rank.

Way 2: You get additional levels, depending on your rank.

So, what do you think would be better?

P.S. Yes, while your rank is negative, you lose levels/exp.

EXP would be better in the long run but there would be people who would abuse that, either way has its own pros and cons. Hmm, looks like I shouldn't worry about finishing my story or the quest I was working on, oh well. =P

I think that getting additional exp is the way to go. It would make leveling easier and less monotonous. You would have to make it more than +5 exp because that is worth it but not that great. I was thinking making the max +10 exp and -5 exp.

Exp bonus would actually be slower for levelling than a level bonus.

For example, in potions, if I had had +5 exp from the beginning, I would have about 5,000-10,000 extra exp. That's not even a singel level.

A bonus level translates into a bigger exp bonus everytime you level. At level 0, a +1 level bonus is 140 exp. At level 40, it's +100,000 exp.

Jevik

True Jevik, but once you left the faith what would you have to show if there was just a momentary level bonus? Not a damn thing :-p With the EXP bonus you'd have that extra exp gained forever, but again this could lead to people using religion and such just to get their character stronger without taking the story into consideration let alone any setting, plot or role playing.

BTW, if I make it levels, and you are, say, lev 10 in manufacturing, after you join the god and get rank 5, you won't have lev 15, you'll still be level 10, so for enxt level you'll need the required exp for lev 11, not 16.

But in everything you do that bonus will count.

So it wouldn't be a boost it'd be a reduction of requirement to do something? Like a perminant potion of (x)? I like it... I'd like to help with the actual writing behind the gods themselves and perhaps some quests, if you're looking for help that is.

Yep, like a potion, but you won't even see your skill increased. The bonus will be invisible, but it will be there when you do stuff that require higher exp.

Of course, when you are level -2 and -1 you will have a negative bonus..

I don't think that gods should affect skills; i think they should affect stats. That would help make each of the gods different. However, they would lose the same amount of each god's rival. This would make it so that people worshipping a god don't have an advantage over aetheists. So, if you worship the 'physique god', you get +5 physique, but you lose 5 will because that's its opposite. Those two stats don't have to be opposites, it's just an example. That would help create a more unique experience playing under a certain god, without actually requiring people to join a faith.

I like that idea, mainly because it has less numbers and things that require use of my already smoothie-textured brain

True Jevik, but once you left the faith what would you have to show if there was just a momentary level bonus? Not a damn thing

Isn't that better though? I mean, its the God lending you some divine might or whatever. When they withdraw their support, you lose the bonus.

....but again this could lead to people using religion and such just to get their character stronger without taking the story into consideration let alone any setting, plot or role playing.

You are the king of forum humour.

I don't think that gods should affect skills; i think they should affect stats. That would help make each of the gods different. However, they would lose the same amount of each god's rival. This would make it so that people worshipping a god don't have an advantage over aetheists. So, if you worship the 'physique god', you get +5 physique, but you lose 5 will because that's its opposite. Those two stats don't have to be opposites, it's just an example. That would help create a more unique experience playing under a certain god, without actually requiring people to join a faith.

The thing is, you'll have to work your ass off for the god to like you, so you should have an advantage over atheists.

God's shouldn't affect anything passively period, you'd have to pray to that god before they help you, though a god irl keeps its eyes over all at all times it doesn't help all at all times. Believing in a religions should deal with stats that directly deal with religion hence stopping all the power hungry people who just go in it to level manu or something.

But just like the potions of harvest and stuff if you pray to a god you use faith points and you gain depending on your level of belief a certain ammount of points in that skill for a certain ammount of time depending on how many faith points your willing to expell,

You'd gain faith points back by attending church, praying and commiting yourself to certain acts.

Izzy, we are not trying to emulate the real world here. I think the system proposed so far is good enough. But, there will be some special things, based on your affiliation level, which you can do every day. Like one of the god, for example, healing you once/day, some other god teleporting you somewhere (to their temple maybe) once/day, if you wish so, etc.

I don't think anyone would have a problem if the gods will help you all the time, as long as you are liked by them.

anything to customize the chars a bit more :D

personaly i would sign up for the god og potions and magic :D

most definetly potions of i could wear the potion cape earlyer then normal :)

so on top of the -2 to +5 modefier you can get special stuff only people of your faith can do? hmm, now what would that be i wonder...

The thing is, you'll have to work your ass off for the god to like you, so you should have an advantage over atheists.

I was just saying that it kind of forces people to join a religion to be good. Sure, I agree that the faith should have some fringe benefits, but that means that you would almost have to be involved in a religion to get good.

And, believe it or not, I have a friend who plays rs, but his mom doesn't let him play because it has magic and prayer points and she is radically religious. Apparantly, at 16, his faith isn't strong enough and he could fall into sin. Glad I decided not to play rs a while back, or I'd be sacrificing some girl right now.

Yes, this will force players to join one or more religions. So what? I don't find anything bad in it, after all it is a Role Playing Game.

If someone has such parents, they won't let them play games anyway, because games r teh bad!

I'd like to see benefits to not having any gods as well. Having a god should encourage a focus shift (or enhance your focus). But, you shouldn't penalize if they don't.

One way of doing this is making sure that for every benefit you have, there is a negative effect to balance it.

And El falls into the rein of dictatorship, as such so many other games before it fell into. Other games that last only one eigteenth of so many years only to be remembered for weeks after their disgraceful demise as dumb and thoughtless but then there after forgotten.

Izzy, no one forces you to play a game you don't like. There are many other free games out there.

Learner, you can or can not join a god, if you [don't] want to.

It's not like you get any penalty if you don't, but I find it fair to give people an advantage if they chose to join a god, and complete at least 3 quests for that god.

But, it you don't join a God so you can do their quests, you aren't giving them anything equivalent of non-god Quests & benefits that you can do. Anyone that doesn't select one or two Gods is then handicapped. Which to a players seems as if you must pick one or two Gods.