Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Talzon

Remove "You are too far away! Get Closer!"

A very annoying factor in Eternal Lands is that if you are not right next to something, you cannot use it. I suggest automatically approaching the target and doing the action (fight, talk, trade, etc.) instead of this message. (I am aware that doors already do this.) If the mouse button is held down rather than clicked, your character should simply approach the target until the button is released. (Doors do not do this.) This makes hunting rabbits and various other things less of an annoyance.

Another suggestion similar to this goes as follows. If you click somewhere on the terrain, you will go to it. That already happens. But like the previous suggestion, [when the mouse button is held down] your character should pursue the current location of the cursor until it is released.

:arrow: :!: Both of these ideas are exactly the same as in Diablo II, an excellent computer game.

you dont know how much this has been suggested X_x

but i think theve been woking on it for a while

I think that hunting animals should be a bit hard, because..let's face it, irl they will not walk up to you and let themselves be attacked, so you having to chase after them for a while makes up for that fact.

However the messages are somewhat annoying, yes, and I think it would be good idea to auto-walk to a harvestable item.

I am not saying that the animals should not run away. I am only saying that under the condition that they do, you will be able to chase them without a frenzy of clicks. I especially hate it when I click in the wrong spot when I am chasing them. :x

I think that it should work for animals and nothing else. That error message is one of the few things I dislike about the game because it's illogical.

Another suggestion similar to this goes as follows. If you click somewhere on the terrain, you will go to it. That already happens. But like the previous suggestion, [when the mouse button is held down] your character should pursue the current location of the cursor until it is released.

Search before you post...somewhere on the forums there is a patch which does just that.

:roll:

Guest ranust

hey i have a simple question

can u talk to people or attack things that r 20 feet away?

the answear no

so its the same in the game

No you can't but you also dont have a cursor that shows you the chat or fight symbol.

Question is, why the interface gives you the posibility of chat or fight something just to tell you that in fact you can't because you are too far away?

I think this is not a good behaviour of the game interface, and should be corrected. Dont know how, maybe dont show the chat or fight icon when in fact you cant use them, or maybe doing the automatic approach for you. Different approaches, up to the developers, but i must agree with all the people that find annoying the actual behaviour.

This is my own experience, chasing some rabbit, small and almost no stoping creature, trying to aprroach it accidentally click over it with the attack icon, game shows the "youre too far away" message and i stop chasing the rabbit!!. :P

After all this is a game and supposed to be fun...

Crusadingknight told of a patch that corrects something, can you tell something more about it?

This is my two cents...Thanks to everybody and excuse my poor english.

I only have a problem with "you cant reach....." when trying to click on a very crowded storage NPC !!!!

Crusadingknight told of a patch that corrects something, can you tell something more about it?

This topic is two years old, the old patch which did this is long deleted... :( However, kudos for searching before you post.

However, it would probably be possible to integrate some simple code to follow a given actor - corpus does it easily enough, it's only a small CPU hit - if you had permission for such a patch from the server developers.

Edited by crusadingknight

This topic is two years old, the old patch which did this is long deleted... :hug: However, kudos for searching before you post.

However, it would probably be possible to integrate some simple code to follow a given actor - corpus does it easily enough, it's only a small CPU hit - if you had permission for such a patch from the server developers.

If the patch was suggested so many times, why would they delete the patch without implementing it?

Didn't Entropy and Learner like the idea of following the mouse cursor?

If the patch was suggested so many times, why would they delete the patch without implementing it?

Didn't Entropy and Learner like the idea of following the mouse cursor?

I think that hunting animals should be a bit hard, because..let's face it, irl they will not walk up to you and let themselves be attacked, so you having to chase after them for a while makes up for that fact.

I think Roja's post sums it up.

And remember, just because something is suggested a lot doesn't mean it will or should happen. Take running and fishing for example...

Question is, why the interface gives you the posibility of chat or fight something just to tell you that in fact you can't because you are too far away?
got a good ping, eh? mine's around 360 on a good day, 460 on a bad day... but somehow can go up to 600+ when fighting/hunting.

that means a lot of lead time before the click happens on the server, and being able to click one that's out of range as far as the client can tell, but will be in range by the time the server gets the click, is important

Edited by ttlanhil

Guest ranust

got a good ping, eh? mine's around 360 on a good day, 460 on a bad day... but somehow can go up to 600+ when fighting/hunting.

that means a lot of lead time before the click happens on the server, and being able to click one that's out of range as far as the client can tell, but will be in range by the time the server gets the click, is important

I did not take that into consideration, good point ttlanhil, but anyway it stills happens with things that didnt move, so like when u want to harvest something. I usually find myself trying to locate a point where my cursor changes to move near the point I want to harvest, cause if the cursor is in harvest mode it gives me the message without getting me closer to it.

I think Roja's post sums it up.

I see Roja's point and recon it, but my point is if I am chasing some animal and (most of the time) accidentally click on it with the attack cursor i get the message and stop chasing it!.

I can see the point on getting that message and do not start the fight till i'm on range, but why stop the chase?

And remember, just because something is suggested a lot doesn't mean it will or should happen. Take running and fishing for example...

Aislinn, I tell all this because i would like to help to improve the game and imho that way it would be funnier/better. But if anybody find annoying these suggestions, i'll stop right away.

Thanks again, and please dont get upset at anything i have said, i'm still working on my english :(

hey i have a simple question

can u talk to people or attack things that r 20 feet away?

the answear no

so its the same in the game

actually im pretty sure that i can talk to somone 20 ft away. What i cant do, and what i think you meant was,

'can you trade and exchange goods from 20 ft away?'

im pretty sure t is calling for a better autowalk system, not to be able to interact with things at distance. If i didnt know better i would have thought you were just being objective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------ ONE YEAR LATER ---------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roja, post 3:

However the messages are somewhat annoying, yes, and I think it would be good idea to auto-walk to a harvestable item.

Yay, erm... A guildie suggested this today. I thought it was a genius idea and said I would post it. But seeing as it has been noted that such suggestions have been made before, I just thought I'd reply to this old topic.

So yep, would be great if when you click a harvestable that is "too far away", the character gets closer to it and gets harvesting.

One possible trickiness in this though, is if you click a different rock after an event that is just out of reach and auto-walk off of a mix bag, say. It shouldn't matter most the time but not everyone obide the outlaw rules. Possible solution, make this new action disablable under sit-lock.

Edited by kailomonkey