Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Black listed ISPs list

Many attempts were made to ban the abusers, but constantly changing names and/or IP's makes it hard to stop them without switching to a pay only system to even create a character.

Guest Icewolf

Yes...now that you mention it I can think of some better ways.

1) I think Bell gives standard hostnames, so you could block them. If they do not, then there is always one thing on a computer that is static....

2)...the Mac address. (yes it can be changed as well, but it's better than blocking half of Canada don't you think?

Guest Icewolf

Also, you could create something where it would difficult to create a new character, and you would only want to do it once(a long tutorial for example, where everyone is placed before they can enter the main world).

Initially, we had only a character creation ban, which allowed the existing players to play, and the new ones could have asked for an account from an admin or from other player. However, that abuser used some trojans on various players computers and created characters from their IPs, and abuse those characters again.

As for the MAC address:

1. Not everyone has MAC address.

2. In an Open Source client, it's very easy to send a spoofed/random address.

The host names also varry with the dynamic IP that is assigned to them. Different IPs, different host names. Too bad that Bell South and sympatico.ca allocate such broad dynamic IP addrsses. If the abuser would be kept only in a certain IP range, we would block only that range. But this is not the case.

Like I said, if your ISP would show me some sign of benevolence, I would lift those bans. But they did not so far.

@katani Yes, of course it is unfair. But I'd rather keep it unfair only for the users of those ISPs than for the entire userbase in Eternal Lands.

There IS a way you guys can bypass the ban, at least temporarly. You can try to find one open socket proxy, and with some special tunneling software you can connect to our server.

I am sorry for the problem, I would like everyone that is not a troublemaker to be able to play our game, but unfortuantely some kids spoil the fun for others as well. But really, try e-mailing your ISP about it.

Hold on, I just relized I have a pretty much static IP(always connected), so could you put that on the White list?

Hmmm...I would have to find an open proxy, and that can be difficult.....you run on port 2000 right?

Edit: Now that I read the el.ini file, I see that I can change my port and server...

Guest Tallus

Previously i was on dialup and played fine but then i got my dsl connection working and its always connected so would this mean i can get put on this white list?

If you both keep your IP untill tomorrow, and/or if you get reconnected in the same IP class then I will put your IP/IP class on the white list.

U banned the ISP because there were some abusers...don't u think they already left...so maybe u can unban the ISP to test if they are gone so other players can play...if there are still abusers u can ban m again (don't know if it's much work but I think not)

I'll start working at the white list implementation today, should be done by tonight.

Tallus, your IP is not only not the same, but it's in two different IP classes. Call your ISP and ask them to give you a fixed IP.

Guest USMarshall26

Entropy,

Sounds like the McCarthy Tails. B)

Whats the White list for? Good or bad?

PS: Entropy's number one fan :blink:

PS2: Not sucking up.

Entropy,

Sounds like the McCarthy Tails. B)

Whats the White list for? Good or bad?

PS: Entropy's number one fan :blink:

PS2: Not sucking up.

read the news

Guest joel

pls unban me .. im from bell sympatico from montreal .. et i was ban till the first time . .i didnt even play yet ..

Guest Sean

Hi i just ran the game client and it says my ip is banned? I read a few post here and it seems that if one stupid person makes a mistake your going to ban the entire isp from being used. Come on now why don't you just ban that person? It kinda bites that i have to suffer because someone was abusive does it not?

Guest Sean

Actually i read all the posts, i don't see why my comments would make you mad, i'm just like any other online gamer, looking for something new and cool to play, i came across your site and decided to get the game to find out i can't play. I just want to try out the game to see if i like it. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything so please don't make me out to be one thanks.