Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Black listed ISPs list

Guest Guest_Ttpp
That's because your subnet doesn't belong to SouthBell, but to Charter Communications CHARTER-NET-3BLK

How can you see what someones ISP is? :huh:

That's because your subnet doesn't belong to SouthBell, but to Charter Communications CHARTER-NET-3BLK

Every IP-number belongs to an ISP, so he simply checks which ISP your IP number belongs to.

Guest Guest_Ttpp

Every IP-number belongs to an ISP, so he simply checks which ISP your IP number belongs to.

Yeah but how can he check?

I know that he can view people's IPs but how do he check what ISP that IP is from?

PPl i haven't played for 2 weeks tho when i tried logging on again it says im banned!!

U banned all Romania ???

Cuz it says all ISP or IP range and from my LAN only me has this ISP

How and why did i even got banned ?

I posted in BANS section but no reply

This isn't EXACTLY related, but it's just Bell up here, or Bell Sympatico (their high speed service).

BellSouth is called that because... it's south. You know, of Canada :) "Bell", the company, was the first telephone company, started by Alexander Graham Bell, the Canadian inventor of the telephone.

Totally a tangeant, but I happen to live in his hometown :D

Anyhow, just thought nobody would care so I had to share.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

Oh, and what about a little routine in the client that gives each system it's installed on a unique identifier - maybe based on system configuration, or some combination of software/hardware/ip identifiers... that way, you can just ban the "identifier" and nobody using that computer can create another account - and with a little cleverness, you could arrange for a computer of the same configuration and ISP to automatically obtain the same identifier every time, even if you totally wipe the system... thus making it nearly foolproof.

Thought I should add something helpful.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

Oh, and what about a little routine in the client that gives each system it's installed on a unique identifier - maybe based on system configuration, or some combination of software/hardware/ip identifiers... that way, you can just ban the "identifier" and nobody using that computer can create another account - and with a little cleverness, you could arrange for a computer of the same configuration and ISP to automatically obtain the same identifier every time, even if you totally wipe the system... thus making it nearly foolproof.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

Complete uninstall would stop this.

Guest Atmos

In my area, more than millions of users are with Bell Sympatico. You're banning millions of people because of 1 or 2 stupid users...

The hell? An ISP ban doesn't make sense. It's unfair to the people from that ISP(and there is a lot of them...myself being one of them), just because 1 or 2 people with their dynamic IP's countinually abuse the system....the bastards. I was looking forward to something new, read all the rules, the manual, heck, I even read the license. But to be confronted with the "Your IP is banned", coming here, and noting that my ISP is banned because of a couple stupid people, is something which shouldn't happen to anyone...ever. Sorry about the language.

Beacuse of the arrow tab, I brought this back. If you have a better solution, please tell them.

Edited by freeone3000

Guest AquilaR

Right then, I would like this clarified if you can possibly do so. BellSouth is banned as an ISP? So that goes to say that Southern Ontario clients using Bell Sympatico High Speed and variants are just simply not allowed to play the game? If this is so, some due consideration is nigh at hand here: throw the baby out with the bathwater?

I would suggest that you find an alternative way of dealing with abuse, rather than discriminating against those from the same region as others who have made unwise decisions.

If I actually don't understand the situation, then kindly forgive me and explain what exactly is the status.

Thanks.

AR

They would be glad to just ban the people, but they have a dynamic IP so banning the IP range wouldn't work. Yes, this is beacuse of a few people, but there is a thread to allow players to play.

Edited by freeone3000

Guest AquilaR

Sorry, thread to allow players to play? What do you mean? That it is actually possible for potential players to play even if their ISP is banned entirely? I am not sure what you mean by "threads to allow players to play." Please clarify.

AR

Sorry, thread to allow players to play? What do you mean? That it is actually possible for potential players to play even if their ISP is banned entirely? I am not sure what you mean by "threads to allow players to play." Please clarify.

AR

open your eyes. the sticky right below this one named white listed ips.

Guest RollingStoned

That sucks but I see your point and you really have few options available to you and also limited ressources since you are a free game...I might have a solution though, maybe you have already considered this but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Maintain the ban on Bell ISP's but allow serious Bell customers to log in this way:

start a thread and force Bell users to register using their sympatico email address, for ex. mine is adamrock@sympatico.ca. Then you allocate the user a username (EX, RollingStoned for me) so that when I go to create my character My IP is banned UNLESS i create a character with the username alotted to me.

This way if I do start abusing stuff as RollingStoned, you have my bell email address and can contact bell and say "the user with this address has been abusing our game and we wish to take legal action". Then bell would have to fork over their information.

Regards,

Kenjutsushi Kyuketsuki

The Vampiric Swordsman

Complete uninstall would stop this.

Then maybe getting the MAC of the interface connected to internet would help?

Then maybe getting the MAC of the interface connected to internet would help?

What if the user has no MAC?

How would you reliably transmit the MAC, in an OSS game?

Guest educci

umm guys in new i jsut dl El and it says im banned is ther any way i can play im from canada and i use bell internet it kinda sux i just dl and i cant play if u can do something plz reply :D

Guest voreaik

In my opinion, this is complete discrimination.

It's only a sign of miserable revenge that you do here with the "they don't listen to me so they will rot" at Bell....

I won't play a game with such sick discrimination, period.

C'est pas parce que les Québécois sont pathétiques qu'ils sont tous cons, ignorant.

please delete my forum account ASAP, thank you.

Edited by voreaik

In my opinion, this is complete discrimination.

It's only a sign of miserable revenge that you do here with the "they don't listen to me so they will rot" at Bell....

So, you think we should just continue to allow connections from an ISP, even though any of those connections could be people who want to ruin this game, because that ISP helps those people by giving them different IP-adresses all the time?

On second thought, maybe it IS better you don't play, as it seems you prefer to have the game ruined, so noone will be able to play, rather than only blocking the ISP that helps people who want to ruin the game.

It is a general solution on the internet, and in the business world in general, that if a company is not willing to cooperate, you don't do business with them.

In my area, more than millions of users are with Bell Sympatico. You're banning millions of people because of 1 or 2 stupid users...

1 or 2 stupid users that Bell Sympatico REFUSED to do anything about. Therefore, because of "1 or 2" stupid users, a stupid ass ISP, and your mentality, that whole ISP was banned.