Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bathory

Cancel Reading option

I was thinking, maybe a Cancel Reading option should be implemented into the game.

I know some books can take a while, and sometimes you want to cancel them and read some other book quickly. Or you just think the book is useless for the time being, and you don't want to waste time reading it. Here's where a Cancel Reading option could come in handy.

It's not really important to the game, but it would still deem useful.

Your thoughts, please.

not a bad idea, but i guess you would have to start over and there is a problem that when you start on a book the book is removed from your inventory. should it be put back if you cancel the read?

Another book option :

Extra slot for the book being read.

To start reading it, drag the book into the slot.

If the book is finished, it disappears.

If you want to cancel it, just drag it out of the slot.

If you want to start reading again, the timer will start on 0 again.

Chance to loose the book = (1 - (Pages.Read/Pages.Total) * 50 %

--> If you start reading it, it will be the default 50 %, if you almost finished it its is about 99 %

If you cancel reading a book, I think it should be lost as a penalty. Not being able to put it back into your bag.

real life
Teh book has been returned to teh library.

:idea: I agree with the idea of having a slot that you drag books in and out of. I do not think that you should be able to lose a book when you stop reading it. (Think if you are reading a book, you go for some lunch, and you find it missing!!) And when you read the book again, you start from:

[formula]

(Research Points Read)*(Reasoning/100)

[/formula]

On the other hand, if you read another book in the meantime, you forget this book entirely and have to start from the beginning.

:idea: I agree with the idea of having a slot that you drag books in and out of. I do not think that you should be able to lose a book when you stop reading it. (Think if you are reading a book, you go for some lunch, and you find it missing!!) And when you read the book again, you start from:

[formula]

[/formula]

On the other hand, if you read another book in the meantime, you forget this book entirely and have to start from the beginning.

Its rationallity, not reasoning.

Yep, I agree with Edward. You can't make it too easy, guys!

(Think if you are reading a book, you go for some lunch, and you find it missing!!)

What, books run away when you're not looking do they?

And when you read the book again, you start from:

[formula]

[/formula]

If this gets implemented, someone with reasoning=120 would gain 20% every time he restarted reading.

[formula]

[/formula]

If this gets implemented, someone with reasoning=120 would gain 20% every time he restarted reading.

That same person would also have an Overall Level of 64 and probably deserves to be smart enough to infer part of the book.

Maybe:

[formula]

(Research Points Read)*(Reasoning/150)

[/formula]

You would need to have an Overall Level of 94, all negative perks, and every single Pick Point distributed to Reasoning just not to lose part of your research. :shock:

Teh book has been returned to teh library.

i think that is actually a good idea. You wouldn't have to pay for it tho. The penalty would have to walk back to the place you got it from and talk to the npc.

Yep, their needs to be a penalty for reading a book and then canceeling it. Whether it be losing the book completely, or having to start over again with no previously earned research points.

[formula]

[/formula]

That same person would also have an Overall Level of 64 and probably deserves to be smart enough to infer part of the book.

Maybe:

[formula]

(Research Points Read)*(Reasoning/150)

[/formula]

You would need to have an Overall Level of 94, all negative perks, and every single Pick Point distributed to Reasoning just not to lose part of your research. :shock:

Isn't this penalty enough???

But wait Talzon, there's more!   :P  

Maybe a new type of nexus should be introduced, for reading and such?

Too big a change for too small an effect. It's not practical. Try something else. I do support the idea of a cancel reading option, though.

-Lyn-

i think the nexus is pointless.

The cancel reading option is perfect, so many times have i wanted to cancel but cant. I think you should just lose the book entirely if you cancel, becuase its your choice to read the book, and your choice to cancel it, but there should be a disadvantage. none of this fancy nancy nexus and drag 'n' drop stuff, just plain and simple! :twisted:

:P

Yes we should be able to cancel a book, but I would rather see us just lose the time we already spent reading it and have to start it over, rather than lose the whole book. That seems a bit severe, especially for the rare drop books.