Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

World creation story

I am planning to make the world creation story myself and it will be exclusively found by doing quests. So don't touch this subject.

Okie dokie. Couple of questions, though, so that we know where the boundaries lie:

1) How far are you going to extend the world creation story until? Will it explain the existence of the Gods, underworld, major continents, ultimate purpose for the game, etc.?

2) It would be a bit difficult to write stories to tie in with this world creation story unless we know what it is, but if it can only be found through quests, then we may never know if we can't solve them. Or, if we DO find out, would our tie-in stories cause some spoilers in the quest? What do you think?

-Lyn-

The world creation (in my story) will start with the beginning of the world (how it was populated). The beginning is ~1K earth years ago. I won't go into details on the events that happened in those years, but don't touch the events that happened in the last 100 years (I will need them for my story).

My story will explain the gods purpose, ultimate purpose, and a little about the continents. The underworld will not be explained, because it's some sort of poetical license. (ie. has no purpose but make you waste soem time when you die). Respawning and things like that shouldn't be explained in the story either, they are poetical licenses.

One last question: What do you mean exactly by "~ 1k earth years ago"? Will 1k earth years be equivalent to 1k EL years? I've already sort of compiled a timeline for EL history in the first post of the sticky "Trying to pull all the major stories together" (first sticky in Storylines Forum). Do you think you can work with that, or should we see if we can condense the history a bit more? Comments and suggestions appreciated.

-Lyn-

1K earth years == 4K EL years :P

I didn't have time to look over your story, i'll do it later today, hopefully.

So we officially adopt the 6 hour day?

Hmm...6-hour-day. Workable. I already included that in my calendar, but I synchronised it on the day-level, so that 1 RL year/month/week would be equivalent to 1 EL year/month/week (provided that EL's calendar has a lot more days in it).

However, if you're thinking of keeping the number of EL days in a EL year at about 365, and making 1 earth year = 4 EL years, that can be done also. We'll just have to synchronise it on the year-level, which is rather difficult to keep track of, unless you have an in-game calendar/date system.

Would it be too difficult to program that into the game to make it official? Something that allows you to see the date, I mean. (Maybe #date? Or some sort of display near the clock?)

-Lyn-

Actually, I meant an EL date, not RL date. Since the EL day is only 6 hours, we can't have four days with the same date, can we? :)

-Lyn-

Actually, I meant an EL date, not RL date. Since the EL day is only 6 hours, we can't have four days with the same date, can we? :)

-Lyn-

I also meant the EL date, not the real date.

Ah, yes, I see. My apologies. Just checked the #date command several times. It DOES change the day every 6 hours.

If you don't mind me asking, then, how does your calendar work? By that, I mean - does it follow the RL calendar system (30/31 days per month, with Feb being 28/29, 7 days a week, 12 months per year, etc.) exactly, or did you change certain things (like making all months a standard 30 days each)?

Also, when I checked the date, I got the year as 0002. You're planning to change this, right? For the purpose of changing the current timeline of EL history, can I assume the year to be 4,002 rather than 0002?

Hmm...that would mean the Dragon Wars would have to happen about 2,500 years ago, the War of the Gods about 1,500 years ago, and the Great War about 500 years ago - provided they don't clash with your story. That also makes it 17 generations of Dreagoni since the beginning of the world, and 133 generations of Humans/Orchans (taking the generation gap to be 1/3 of the lifespan of a race). Hmm...can be done. (Although I wish I knew what your creations story would be like in advance so that I can start synchronising the histories again)

Relevant threads:

Current Timeline: http://www.eternal-lands.com/phpBB2/viewto...opic.php?t=4990

Race Lifespans: http://www.eternal-lands.com/phpBB2/viewto...opic.php?t=5480

My original suggestion for calendar system: http://www.eternal-lands.com/phpBB2/viewto...opic.php?t=4926

-Lyn-

...but don't touch the events that happened in the last 100 years (I will need them for my story).

Also, when I checked the date, I got the year as 0002. You're planning to change this, right? For the purpose of changing the current timeline of EL history, can I assume the year to be 4,002 rather than 0002?

Or will the events touched upon by Ent's history perhaps dictate the entrance into a new age?

Possibly... I separated the history into Ages primarily because of the Great War and the WoTG being cataclysmic events that significantly altered the Lands and decimated the races. If a great event similar to that happened two years ago, that could justify it.

I think we're going to have to wait until Ent creates his story, find out what it is, and then continue work on the timeline. Hope you finish it soon, Entropy! :P

-Lyn-