Eternal Lands Official Forums

Running in the game is pretty awesome. It's also useful, and just feels nice, honestly. 

But I was thinking... ( & that's usually never good)

Keep the speed hax potions & other running related items in the game now, as they are. Don't touch them, at all. Please.

BUT... Allow running for everyone, as a basic thing we can do without potions, spells, items, etc.

AND... have it active only for a certain amount of steps, then it needs to be recharge with +food level AND SITTING!

maybe keep track of when you can run again and your steps left again by a resting level

increase steps via an attribute, maybe?

Back to the current items.. I say don't touch them, but do make it where you wont use food when running if haxed AND rested?

once you're not rested anymore, you cant run (unless you're haxed, then you use food as normal)

you can't run again until the rested bar is completely full

so once your rest bar empties, you start to use food again if you're haxed already

requiring the sitting would prevent people from just running non-stop, we have hax for this.

I say this because

1. running is awesome

2. if a newbie was able to run from the start, they'd get around a lot more, and perhaps enjoy the game more.

3. running is useful

there may be a lot of loopholes in my idea, please shoot me down nicely :D

Edited by BunnieRabbit

That sounds like a whole lot of making running worse.

Forced stopping and sitting? May as well just not run at all. There is literally no circumstance where you could say forced stops of running somehow improves using it.

As I read this, the forced stop in only when you do not use the potion, or run out of food.

If you're haxed and not rested, you use food to run same as now,

while you are rested and haxed, you don't use food anymore.

9 hours ago, Burn said:

That sounds like a whole lot of making running worse.

Forced stopping and sitting? May as well just not run at all. There is literally no circumstance where you could say forced stops of running somehow improves using it.

I think you may of misunderstood what I meant.

You'd only have to sit and wait to refill the rest bar. 

If you don't like having to sit and and wait for the rest bar to refill over time, then use speed hax.

Not having a full rest bar shouldn't affect haxed running, so I don't understand how this could make it worse.

-

I'll try to explain better

I want all current running related items to remain the same and unchanged,  it's fine how it is now.

However,

I'm suggesting we add a basic running option for everyone from the very beginning, and do so using a rest bar that I suggested.

The running being forced to stop would be only for the rest bar.

If you're haxed and rested, i simply wanted the game to use the rest bar instead of food, until the rest bar was empty, then the game starts using food instead (smoothly, no stopping).

If you're not haxed, and your rest bar empties, yeah you are forced to stop running, or use hax.. Seems fair to me.

If it doesn't make sense then just let the hax use food and the rest bar? Idk that sounds bad to me

Edited by BunnieRabbit

9 hours ago, revi said:

As I read this, the forced stop in only when you do not use the potion, or run out of food.

If you're haxed and not rested, you use food to run same as now,

while you are rested and haxed, you don't use food anymore.

Correct.

Actually i do think a rest bar for running is great and it should be able to fill up over time but not by sitting. just by time regardless what you do, as long as you are positiv in food.

If you have a speedhax, it would then keep the rest bar at maximum as long as you have positiv food,  and only wear of when you are in negativ food and the restbar gone :).

My reasoning is this, game play you are in a pk map and an attacker comes at you. (running or otherwise), you can start run away and maybe reach a save place, in rl you would do it like that. Or you just need a small speed up now and then as you try to be a little bit faster on the way from storage to harvestable, or between 2 spawns that are just so far away that you run risk of loosing 1 creature if you just walk but a couple of steps with double speed would do the difference. Or you hunt a creature and it walks at exactly your speed away from you for ages. and 2-3 more steps closer and you could attack ... I had lots of situations in game where a short sprint would have saved me time

Just one question.

As it is currently, you cannot switch between running and normal walking (other than by letting the speed hax lapse, afaik).

Would this suggestion also include an option to switch off running, while you still have the possibility (rested or haxed  with pos. food)?

This sounds buggy without even being implemented yet. Run, walk, rest, forced stoppage, timers, sitting, modifications, oof, there's a lot going on.

The pace of walking is perhaps quite slow comparatively to most modern MMOs... but so is everything else in EL.

You've also forgotten the thing that matters the most. With this (however it actually works), fewer people will need/want to buy horse whistles.

Overall, no thanks, I don't particularly like it. Leave speed hax and horses alone.

3 hours ago, Diealot said:

This sounds buggy without even being implemented yet. Run, walk, rest, forced stoppage, timers, sitting, modifications, oof, there's a lot going on.

The pace of walking is perhaps quite slow comparatively to most modern MMOs... but so is everything else in EL.

You've also forgotten the thing that matters the most. With this (however it actually works), fewer people will need/want to buy horse whistles.

Overall, no thanks, I don't particularly like it. Leave speed hax and horses alone.

Fair points there. 

However, it's not near as complicated as it sounds, especially compared to what's already in EL.

Perhaps horse whistle sales would go down, because essentially this is a permanent rechargeable horse whistle, with not near as many steps. Although this toggle would be useful for people who don't really know what they are &/or cant afford horse whistles.