Eternal Lands Official Forums
dragon_killer

Magical interference caused the list window to close O . O

Yeah you read the title right, can we actually removed that bug/feature, heard this was to prevent people from macroing, if anything it only makes me want to start macroing because it's annoying.

Quite sure many people will agree

Sometimes can't even add 6-7 items without window closing 4-5 times

Edited by dragon_killer

I absolutely agree with this for a few reasons:

• It's annoying to mixers who follow the rules.
  • If you're a rule breaker, it's trivial to bypass this.
  • I think anti-macro belongs on the server rather than in some screwy UI feature.

Radu asked for for this when I implemented the items lists.  There is a 1/64 chance that it happens but I agree its annoying and for me, does feel more than 1/64.  Perhaps Radu could comment if he is happy for it to be removed, in which case I would be delighted to remove it.

Or at the least, upping it to like 1/1000 or so. Maybe more. Any form of random is going to be a problem for macroing, but higher chances are only annoying to normal players.

That 1/64 is with clicking each object in a list, which can be 5-7 clicks per restock while mixing. That alone makes the 1/64 feel like more often.

But that's a second option, anything that essentially annoys/punishes players just to hurt the rare macroer is never a good thing.

Edited by Burn

I am not sure that this feature is anything that really helps a macro player, my measurement would be the speed on how fast people are restocking, while normal player need to move between itemlist and inventory, and are more error prone because of that, people with macro can do that pretty instant, thanks to autoclick. so record those times and those people who go to fast are for sure using macro.

4 hours ago, vinoveritas said:

I am not sure that this feature is anything that really helps a macro player, my measurement would be the speed on how fast people are restocking, while normal player need to move between itemlist and inventory, and are more error prone because of that, people with macro can do that pretty instant, thanks to autoclick. so record those times and those people who go to fast are for sure using macro.

Well yes, of course, but that's after the fact and a lot of work.  The idea behind the "magical interference" is to stop it in the first place.  Now that said, my opinion is this doesn't do much to stop it and the annoyance it causes far outweighs any potential benefit.  I'd love to see it gone.

You will not stop people from trying to macro this way, you will encourage them. as this is  annyoing, and for someone who knows how to macro or read code, easy to disable. basicly have a screen reader look for the text for magical interference at the right spot and change the macro to open it again, while we others need to open it taking much time, those doing macro after some thinking will have it more easy ( there is a even more easy way i could think about but i do not want to give those peoples ideas, this one will need at least some skill)

And the problem is, you only need 1 person to write a good macro,  and a lot of others could have it, since this is so annoying.

Edited by vinoveritas

Actually i would say this removal (as small as it is) is such a big game changer for many of the people that it would be best to create a new build release, including a full fetched client, as when i told people that it will be gone in next client update, they want it but a lot will lack the technological knowledge to install it any other way but the noob one.

1 hour ago, vinoveritas said:

Actually i would say this removal (as small as it is) is such a big game changer for many of the people that it would be best to create a new build release, including a full fetched client, as when i told people that it will be gone in next client update, they want it but a lot will lack the technological knowledge to install it any other way but the noob one.

One is planned, but that includes things such as my map updates, bluap getting all the work and testing done for other actually-more-major changes, coordinating with radu on any changes that need to be done on the server, and so on... and that takes more planning than just building the latest git client. "Soonish"

Edited by Burn

On 15/03/2021 at 10:40 PM, Raz said:

Great news - have you published updated windows builds?

I'll do some builds that include this change in the next day day or so.