Eternal Lands Official Forums
His Grace

Criticism of Eternal Lands

Here are two things about Eternal Lands which I dislike, but also I will name the positive side of the coin as well after the negative side of the coin.

Gold per hour is overbalanced

The overbalanced nature of the game comes in the form of gold you obtain. No matter what methods I've tried separately to all the other methods, one method still remains the fastest in terms of travel distance and reward. That method is none other than picking lilacs and selling them to the flower shop. I've looked for holes such as the cost of material to process in order to get profit from anything and can't find a single thing in the game that would allow for it faster than lilac farming in valley of the dwarfs. Of course one of the other things I could do is wear an excavators cape and get twice as many lilacs in a smaller amount of time. Other players tell me if I want to make gold that I should depend on selling items to bots, but the value of any item in any game with a functional economy is the average time it takes to get the item versus the highest amount of gold a player can sustainably grind in that window of time, meaning that I can't depend on selling items to bots. The question of what the fastest method is to gain gold in this game per hour is one that I've spent most of my time afk next to the pickpoint wraith trying to figure out. Materials I obtain to craft other materials never allow for the selling of those crafted materials to be at a profit as opposed to just selling the materials required for crafting.

Now for the positive side of things. Although gold per hour is overbalanced, methods of using gold are not. Some things are clearly the better deal than others and it's something you can work out on your own or have become a meta. An example of this is making spirit restoration potions. You can make mana potions if you want for five experience, but comparing experience to cost puts spirit restoration potions at a higher end of the spectrum of things that give experience per gold. If you can't get more gold per hour, at least you can use gold per hour more efficiently. I won't deny that I like the philosophy behind that way of thinking, but it's not the most obvious thing to most people and maybe shouldn't be.

Rationality is worthless

Thanks to the male goblin token, players who try to gain rationality over just grinding gold and buying a male goblin token from a bot or killing male goblins themselves for the tokens are completely out of touch with the games current state of mechanics. The prices I saw for male goblin token are around five thousand gold. Each male goblin token gives four thousand points in research at that moment you use it, meaning you just sit down and instantly learn a four thousand resource point book or higher just by spamming male goblin tokens. If takes a minute for you to advance in research equal to or twice the quantity of your current rationality depending on a few factors I won't mention here. If you have fifty rationality, that's one hundred research a minute which in that scenario is actually worth it, but the investment also cost pickpoints and if you look at the value of a pickpoint versus the gold value of a male goblin token, it's clearly not worth having to reset over. If you take will, you get a health and mana buffer along with the increase in rationality. Using rationality for something like experience gain is also a poor idea because it's cut in a half, meaning it would take four pick points total just to gain enough rationality for one extra experience in mixing skills, eight in combat.

For the positive side of things, tailoring is an expensive skill and if you wanted to attempt to make it cheaper, you basically have to depend on rationality for this one or else you would end up spending millions of gold which cost lots more time. This does however mean you need a way to quickly gain pickpoints upon a character reset because rationality has no paired skills with might.

Sorry, but... I have to laugh a little... You're waaaay off the mark on both of these. What game are you playing exactly??

Lilacs aren't even the best flower to sell to the flower shop NPC. Not to mention fighting almost anything for gc generation.

Goblin tokens are generally more expensive than the books people use goblin tokens on. If you can read the books relatively quickly (i.e. rationality) you don't need goblin tokens unless you want to read many many books very very quickly (which late-game players might, also leading to the steep price). Not to mention the countless other uses of rationality.

Your criticisms make zero sense.

Edited by Diealot

3 hours ago, Diealot said:

Sorry, but... I have to laugh a little... You're waaaay off the mark on both of these. What game are you playing exactly??

Lilacs aren't even the best flower to sell to the flower shop NPC. Not to mention fighting almost anything for gc generation.

Goblin tokens are generally more expensive than the books people use goblin tokens on. If you can read the books relatively quickly (i.e. rationality) you don't need goblin tokens unless you want to read many many books very very quickly (which late-game players might, also leading to the steep price). Not to mention the countless other uses of rationality.

Your criticisms make zero sense.

Thank you for criticizing my criticism and then editing your post from the original words it might have said, but since I did take the time writing it and you took the time reading it, maybe you could help me a little here by explaining to me how I'm wrong. You've only told me I'm wrong, but haven't given the reason other than saying I'm wrong in different terms.

Lilacs harvest in 1 tick

Daffodils harvest in 2 ticks and cost as much as 2 lilacs, but the distance traveled to sell them to a flower shop that will buy them is many times further than lilac traveling to the point where having a higher capacity still doesn't make daffodils any more efficient. I figure this is why you edited your post as if you did your research you would know plants had intervals.

You didn't mention what you could use rationality in to make it worth the investments. I mentioned tailoring, but if you say that I'm wrong about that then surely you can offer something up as to what exactly makes me wrong.

Okay, lol.

I just have to join Diealot in laughing, but I will say you are still tooooooooooo far in the beginning of understanding or learning the game to actually criticize.

Rationality, is one of the most powerful cross attribute because it enpowers magic spells, gives you mana and hp pool which is really really important in fighting.

And gc making, it's actually quite unbalanced lol. I'll just give you one example, I made 950kgcs in 58 minutes last week :P

Hi grace, that's a nice criticism of the game right there, while I have to agree that making gc when you start the game can be slow there are several ways to make decent gc as a beginner.

Killing beavers or rats seems to be a good way when you start the game, the tokens will sell at a fairly good price.

Lilacs are great when you just started the game, but after that you might want to speed up the gc process.

What I can advise you to do is find the skills you like to level up, different people have different taste, some only swear by fighting, some like to harvest all day, some are allergic to mixing.

Basically any skills is a source of gc (really?? yes), if you do it right.

I have been a mage for as long as I can remember, it started slow killing some phantom warriors with magic, this could at least pay back the ressources.

Then noticed magic was going well with summoning so teamed up with a summoner and then the gc started to rain.

Goblin token are about 20 kgc each btw

5 hours ago, His Grace said:

Thank you for criticizing my criticism and then editing your post from the original words it might have said, but since I did take the time writing it and you took the time reading it, maybe you could help me a little here by explaining to me how I'm wrong. You've only told me I'm wrong, but haven't given the reason other than saying I'm wrong in different terms.

Lilacs harvest in 1 tick

Daffodils harvest in 2 ticks and cost as much as 2 lilacs, but the distance traveled to sell them to a flower shop that will buy them is many times further than lilac traveling to the point where having a higher capacity still doesn't make daffodils any more efficient. I figure this is why you edited your post as if you did your research you would know plants had intervals.

You didn't mention what you could use rationality in to make it worth the investments. I mentioned tailoring, but if you say that I'm wrong about that then surely you can offer something up as to what exactly makes me wrong.

Haha...

Daffodils aren't the best flower to sell to the shop either.

Edited by Diealot

19 hours ago, dragon_killer said:

Hi grace, that's a nice criticism of the game right there, while I have to agree that making gc when you start the game can be slow there are several ways to make decent gc as a beginner.

Killing beavers or rats seems to be a good way when you start the game, the tokens will sell at a fairly good price.

Lilacs are great when you just started the game, but after that you might want to speed up the gc process.

What I can advise you to do is find the skills you like to level up, different people have different taste, some only swear by fighting, some like to harvest all day, some are allergic to mixing.

Basically any skills is a source of gc (really?? yes), if you do it right.

I have been a mage for as long as I can remember, it started slow killing some phantom warriors with magic, this could at least pay back the ressources.

Then noticed magic was going well with summoning so teamed up with a summoner and then the gc started to rain.

Goblin token are about 20 kgc each btw

See here is a quality post written by someone who gave actual constructive criticism to myself.

When someone replies to me, I ask the question what I gained from that reply. If the answer is nothing at all, then it's not constructive. I never used magic so I never knew that rationality could do that. It actually breaks the balance now that I think about it. I found goblin tokens for 5k which is why I said that, but if they're 20k then yea that would be a bit pricey. Magic and summoning? I really would like to learn how this works. Maybe I've been playing this game by myself too much which I got use to doing because I have to deal with weasels willing to throw stones unprovoked to give themselves brownie points.

Things you should do :

Do the tutorial, you will learn a lot about the game such as how magic work

Join a guild, they can help you

Join the newbie channel, there are people here who can answer your questions 

Start levelling magic as soon as possible, you will want it for portal room and healing

Check the other quests you  find (talk to the NPCs ) , some are daily.

4 hours ago, His Grace said:

...because I have to deal with weasels willing to throw stones unprovoked to give themselves brownie points.

Kind of like this post?  If you started off with a different premise, such as "How can I understand this game better?" rather than "EL sucks", you might find people more responsive in a positive manner.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:22 PM, His Grace said:

Here are two things about Eternal Lands which I dislike, but also I will name the positive side of the coin as well after the negative side of the coin.

The overbalanced nature of the game comes in the form of gold you obtain. No matter what methods I've tried separately to all the other methods, one method still remains the fastest in terms of travel distance and reward. That method is none other than picking lilacs and selling them to the flower shop. I've looked for holes such as the cost of material to process in order to get profit from anything and can't find a single thing in the game that would allow for it faster than lilac farming in valley of the dwarfs. Of course one of the other things I could do is wear an excavators cape and get twice as many lilacs in a smaller amount of time. Other players tell me if I want to make gold that I should depend on selling items to bots, but the value of any item in any game with a functional economy is the average time it takes to get the item versus the highest amount of gold a player can sustainably grind in that window of time, meaning that I can't depend on selling items to bots. The question of what the fastest method is to gain gold in this game per hour is one that I've spent most of my time afk next to the pickpoint wraith trying to figure out. Materials I obtain to craft other materials never allow for the selling of those crafted materials to be at a profit as opposed to just selling the materials required for crafting.

Now for the positive side of things. Although gold per hour is overbalanced, methods of using gold are not. Some things are clearly the better deal than others and it's something you can work out on your own or have become a meta. An example of this is making spirit restoration potions. You can make mana potions if you want for five experience, but comparing experience to cost puts spirit restoration potions at a higher end of the spectrum of things that give experience per gold. If you can't get more gold per hour, at least you can use gold per hour more efficiently. I won't deny that I like the philosophy behind that way of thinking, but it's not the most obvious thing to most people and maybe shouldn't be.

Rationality is worthless

Thanks to the male goblin token, players who try to gain rationality over just grinding gold and buying a male goblin token from a bot or killing male goblins themselves for the tokens are completely out of touch with the games current state of mechanics. The prices I saw for male goblin token are around five thousand gold. Each male goblin token gives four thousand points in research at that moment you use it, meaning you just sit down and instantly learn a four thousand resource point book or higher just by spamming male goblin tokens. If takes a minute for you to advance in research equal to or twice the quantity of your current rationality depending on a few factors I won't mention here. If you have fifty rationality, that's one hundred research a minute which in that scenario is actually worth it, but the investment also cost pickpoints and if you look at the value of a pickpoint versus the gold value of a male goblin token, it's clearly not worth having to reset over. If you take will, you get a health and mana buffer along with the increase in rationality. Using rationality for something like experience gain is also a poor idea because it's cut in a half, meaning it would take four pick points total just to gain enough rationality for one extra experience in mixing skills, eight in combat.

For the positive side of things, tailoring is an expensive skill and if you wanted to attempt to make it cheaper, you basically have to depend on rationality for this one or else you would end up spending millions of gold which cost lots more time. This does however mean you need a way to quickly gain pickpoints upon a character reset because rationality has no paired skills with might.

Welcome to Eternal Lands, we're glad to have you.

On 7.11.2020 at 5:22 AM, His Grace said:

So first of all as someone who plays years of Eternal Lands, your statement are only true at the beginning of the game play. As I remember back when i started playing I was always desperate for gold coins as i needed them to advance, and while liliacs made a good start of getting gc, i soon made a good amount more and then more and more by mixing in Alchemy and selling to players and bots. It also did advance me in the skills i decided at the start that i wanted to have.

And one thing i learned in this game is you never can have enough gold coins. I am right now at a state where i deal in items that costs other players 12000-30000 gold coins to buy from me (and as i am lazy i have a lot of costs on my site so my profit margin is not to high there as i am not greedy) and even as i can make lots of money in a El day if i really would spend time and effort in it, for my goals in game i would need about 120 million gold coins more to reach all goals, and that would take years.

So while i do think prices in Eternal Land needs to be adjusted on the Non Player Characters, and in some cases in the shop to encourage people to buy more there,

The main problem is that Invasions and Instances bring in a lot more gold coins then every harvester or mixer can generate in the same time. If you are lucky. It drives some prices up and others down. and brings an Imbalance in the game. But every player who played a long time knows about it.

Rationality is worthless

Rationality is not only used for reading. And as someone who has read every book in the game, i must say in most cases you do not want to bother with those tokens. Tokens are expensive, and take long to get (if i hunt for them i have to kill in average 300 goblins to get 1 token) taking that amount into relation to the reading speed i gather with rationality in a fast reading room i am usually faster just reading it. with high rationality,  Anyway rationality is also very good for extra XP in mixing and in fighting for hitting opponents. I build my Character as an Allrounder, and i am constantly wish i would have a few more rationality then what i do have.

All in all the game is far more diverse as you might think, and in the most cases it takes a long breath to get to some places where people want to be.