Eternal Lands Official Forums
Nogrod

Map walk-to marker shows wrong spot on continent

Auto-walk to any spot on the current map, switch the map to continent view and it shows a different location than the spot you're walking to.

el_map_mark.png

Edited by bluap

When the map rendering was changed there was a bug but it was quickly fixed.  I've tried lots of switching, walking, and resizing but can't reproduce what you're seeing on the latest code; I assume that is what you are using.

I was able to fix the issue by moving my ~/.elc and generating a new one. I'll play around with this some more.

Deleting .elc doesn't fix the issue. When I thought the issue was fixed, I was actually pointing to an old binary from May.

Edited by Nogrod

I first start seeing the issue with commit cc44f37919052fb4ed3970e8ca3d8e494838eed3 from Jul 7. It seems that's when Aislin first saw the issue too but I don't know why the fix works for her but not me.

If the map window is current map, I see no issue at all. I only see it on the continent map.

Before the fix:

Both source and destination map markers are off.

The map markers are correct in the vertical (y) direction. In horizontal (x) direction they seem to be inverted so that as I walk East, the marker is moving West but the distance from the edge of the map looks correct. I'm just eyeballing this stuff.

After the July 8 fix (commit 472ad7b0019af631a3816b37e0c3fe4b16e8e819) all the way to the latest commit, the source marker is correct (both when standing still and when walking) but the destination marker is wrong in both the x and y directions and looks to be inverted.

Are you using the standard tab maps?  Also, what's your client window size (#show_res on latest git).

Edited by bluap

30 minutes ago, bluap said:

Are you using the standard tab maps?  Also, what's your client window size (#show_res on latest git).

I see the issue with both standard tab maps and with Burned Maps.

When I use Burned Maps, I have those saved to ~/.elc/updates/1_9_5/maps/

#show_res:

Each char is set up with its own server entry and I'm using a variety of windows sizes. All show the map issue in the same way.

Here are some examples for some of my chars:

Current window size 1024x768

Current window size 640x480

When I make this change, the issue is gone.

interface.c

929,930c929,930
< 				screen_x = main_r - main_w * ( (px * x_size / 6) + continent_maps[cur_map].x_start) / 512;
< 				screen_y = main_h * ( (py * y_size / 6) + continent_maps[cur_map].y_start) / 512;
---
> 				screen_x = main_l + main_w * ( (px * x_size / 6) + continent_maps[cur_map].x_start) / 512;
> 				screen_y = main_b - main_h * ( (py * y_size / 6) + continent_maps[cur_map].y_start) / 512;

Interesting. This is what my interface.c looks like regarding that.  Are you saying you replaced the first two with the second two?

{
				screen_x = main_r - main_w * ( (px * x_size / 6) + continent_maps[cur_map].x_start) / 512;
				screen_y = main_h * ( (py * y_size / 6) + continent_maps[cur_map].y_start) / 512;
			}
			else
			{
				screen_x = screen_y = 0;
			}
		}
		else
		{
			screen_x = main_l + main_w*px/(tile_map_size_x*6);
			screen_y = main_b - main_h*py/(tile_map_size_y*6);
		}

3 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

Interesting. This is what my interface.c looks like regarding that.  Are you saying you replaced the first two with the second two?

Yes, that's right. I did a Unix diff between the latest from git and also my changed file.

OK, I wasn't seeing this problem because my destination cross was not showing at all on the continent map.  I've committed your fix Nogrod, thanks.