Eternal Lands Official Forums
Diealot

Magic Eye Candy Update Suggestions

Updates and additions for spells eye candy:

Simple recolors/adds:

• Recolor the shield or magic protection effect and apply to Heat shield (red particles), Cold shield (blue particles), radiation shield (green particles), Magic Immunity (gold particles)
  • Recolor the Mana drain effect to gold (or practically any color, or don't recolor at all) and apply to Life Drain.
  • Recolor the Heal or Restoration effect to gold and apply to Bones to Gold
  • Add remote heal effect to all targets of Heal Allies and Heal Summons

Client sided:

• Add thin (ish) colored line (say gold or white) around perimeter of play-screen when True Sight is active.

"New"/complicated effects:

• Make poison 'sticky' on affected monster, have the green goo linger. Alternatively could slightly shade entire sprite green.
  • When smite summons is cast, damage effect is a small glowing circle approx 1 square big underneath the summon. Color it an ominous color (white in center, fade to red then black, or something).

I asked him to post this but the idea is that we have spells that have no eye candy and that's a shame.  So this mostly just repurposes existing effects and just changes the colors to give all spells something nice to look at.

Only two would be "new". 

Just as a point of info, I've had occasions on my previous computer where the mana drain effect caused delays (haven't seen this with shield, though). So too many effects, or those that are too fancy, can cause trouble for weaker configurations.

Yes, I know you can switch off the spell effects, but it would be a shame to spend time on creating an effect that half the users can't enjoy :P

3 minutes ago, revi said:

Just as a point of info, I've had occasions on my previous computer where the mana drain effect caused delays (haven't seen this with shield, though). So too many effects, or those that are too fancy, can cause trouble for weaker configurations.

Yes, I know you can switch off the spell effects, but it would be a shame to spend time on creating an effect that half the users can't enjoy :P

You can also limit the particle percentages in Options so can still enjoy the effects but at a less intensive level.

Interestingly, I think all the effects mentioned are already available in the client but just not enabled.  I'm not that familiar with how this works but it may required some server changes to enable; I'll check.  If you can/want to build your own test client, there is a debug window for eye-candy that enables you to test all effects, including these unused ones.  To do this, enable the ECDEBUGWIN option in the CMakeList.txt or made.defaults files (which ever method you use to build).  Running this client, you can open the eye-candy debug window using the key combo Ctrl+Alt-c.

In terms of performance, I made some changes last year to reduce the load of some of the problem effects.

Edited by bluap

@revi

EL can run on a potato, but not everyone runs EL on a potato. Feel free to turn eyecandy off.

@bluap

If there's already effects there, great! Don't need anything really outrageous, but in a few of these cases having any effect would be better than the current none.

Wow this is awesome!

A couple questions:

1. Can these be implemented?!

2. I don't know what "OG" means in the misc tab but I recognize the effects.  It would be nice if all of the shield spells have this OG effect as well.

3. Wind leaves? That sounds like a nice effect.

4 hours ago, Aislinn said:

2. I don't know what "OG" means in the misc tab but I recognize the effects.  It would be nice if all of the shield spells have this OG effect as well.

I'd assumed OG meant On-Going.