Eternal Lands Official Forums
alekos

So I was insulted by Xaquelina (the NPC) today. What the hell?

Hi Everyone,

So something happened today, and I am no longer feeling comfortable to play this game.

I went to Xaquelina (the NPC in Portland) for the daily harvesting quest. Well it turns out she (the NPC used some very offensive and NSFW language

towards me). I do not want to quote her words, instead you can read it in the image I am attaching. To simplify I'll quote here words in a censored way

"How  the **** did you get here?"

Okay this game has rules. Offensive language is not to be used by players. But it's FINE for the game to use offensive language towards the players?

I kind of liked this game, but now I am thinking of quitting. This has ruined my morning. I play games so I can get a lift off my depression and other health

issues. Instead I get an offense in my face, for no reason at all.

Really who the hell puts something like this in a game?

Screenshot from 2020-08-01 13-46-56.png

Edited by alekos

That message indicates you reached an NPC dialog in a way that should not have been possible.

I agree that it could have been formulated in a nicer way, but you'll have to discuss that with the game owner, radu

21 minutes ago, revi said:

That message indicates you reached an NPC dialog in a way that should not have been possible.

I agree that it could have been formulated in a nicer way, but you'll have to discuss that with the game owner, radu

How can I reach it via a way that is not possible? I only clicked the regular interface button  the "Need help" button for this npc.

Edited by alekos

1 hour ago, alekos said:

How can I reach it via a way that is not possible? I only clicked the regular interface button  the "Need help" button for this npc.

As Revi said, its a message from the server that is not expected to ever be sent under normal usage and something for Radu to consider.  The server has protections for misuse from modified clients but it is perhaps not 100% reliable; probably erring on the side of false possitives.  I would assume the response is to that perceived misuse.  I am not suggesting at all, that you did anything wrong or that the language is necessary.  One client base feature that can sometimes trigger server protections is the use of the repeat function.  This was added to the client relatively recently (considering the age of the game) and so may lead to code paths that the server is not expecting.

As an aside, I've checked the client source for use of similar terms and there was one error log which a user would likely never see due to the nature of the error and where the error is logged.  I've removed it anyway.

Sometimes it can happen if you are very lagged and you click multiple times on some option.

As for leaving because you've seen the "fuck word", that's up to you. The game contains some profanity.

I note the client does not currently process the NPC dialogue text through the local or global filters.  This would not be a difficult change so perhaps should be done so people can have more choice.  This would avoid the error condition language and any other similar dialogue text.

I think it would be a good idea to do so. even if i thought that at least in the respect of the repeat button at the battle hall when reducing the time for instances i got smeg you instead of the more profan sentence as a message with filter on

Yes, probably due to lag. I've received this message many times under laggy conditions. I like bluap's suggestion to implement filtering it on the client side, especially if there is no change planned on the server side.

1 hour ago, Entropy said:

Sometimes it can happen if you are very lagged and you click multiple times on some option.

As for leaving because you've seen the "fuck word", that's up to you. The game contains some profanity.

Okay but just a couple  things:

1). Game rules says we can't use profanity. But the game itself can use it? Why a double standard?

2). I am not so bothered by the "fuck" word. I am bothered because it is directed towards me, for a reason which is not my fault. Why not say "fuck your ISP,  or the client, or whatever the cause is?"

3). Or you could just put a nicer message. Or an actual error message, which is what this seems to be.

Edited by alekos

You’ve got to be kidding me. It’s not that serious. That statement is not malicious at all in my opinion, but to each it’s own I guess. Here is what I gathered from reading your post: I don’t like what EL said to me so I’m going to post and threaten the community to quit. Cya! Cmon let’s do better here.

While Xaquelina is an evil woman that deserves to be pushed off the pier into the ocean, "How the fuck did you get here?" is not insulting you. It does not say "Fuck you for getting here". 

Relax a bit.

Whatever intention of the message, there are existing, optional features in the client to replace certain phrases and words.  That was not done for NPC text and so I have changed the client to do so.  If you want the original text, just disable the global filter as it is on by default.

Edited by bluap

With all due respect :hehe: if this offends you, you might want to give the internet a break. Thanks for the laugh. :P

Just because some people think the anonymity of the internet is a good reason to use foul language and insult others, is no reason to accept that it always be there and not to complain about things that are not necessary to be this way. A game that lives from its players has no reason to insult them. And the fix is pretty easy. So he made a complain, I myself do not make the complain because I am used to it and did not feel it worth my time, your comment is an insutlt to alekos, who thought its worth to mention it

6 hours ago, vinoveritas said:

Just because some people think the anonymity of the internet is a good reason to use foul language and insult others, is no reason to accept that it always be there and not to complain about things that are not necessary to be this way. A game that lives from its players has no reason to insult them. And the fix is pretty easy. So he made a complain, I myself do not make the complain because I am used to it and did not feel it worth my time, your comment is an insutlt to alekos, who thought its worth to mention it

While I agree with you about the anonymity being no excuse for foul language part, I don't agree it will ever go away, nor should it.  The beauty of the internet is you can find anything you want unfettered (well you used to be able to).  Trying to insist everyone act as you do or wish them to is 1)an exercise in futility, and 2)not very freedom-like.  Just as alekos is free to post his opinion, so are you and Montez and the rest who posted here.  And of course Radu is free to make his game any way he likes, as it should be.  The "fix" may be easy, as you say, but Radu doesn't see it as broken in the first place.  And we all make our decision whether this is important enough to affect whether or not we stay or go.

Thank god they don't understand Romanian.... and go farm instances  take part in invasions :P

Edited by Raz