Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raserei

Eternal Lands - Feedback from random new player

So I have been playing MMOs since 1997 (The Realm being my 1st and Everquest being my 2nd)... I haven't played them all, but I have a played a lot. In 2004, WoW took the MMO genre by storm and I played that for 7+ years. After that phase, I switched to a more ARPG focus.  I never really played a true sandbox game until 2017, I tried a game called RPG MO, a sandbox pixel art game. Players in that game told me if I liked that, I should try Runescape. In 2019, I ended up trying Runescape (OSRS). Only played it for a month until I ended up losing interest. The game felt ackward. It had a lot of stuff to do but ultimately, 80%+ of the thousands of recipes were useless (to me). Like, you can craft a pie shell, then bake a pie, but there were 50+ recipes that were easier to make that gave better stats.

So what makes Eternal Lands special (IMO)?

-After coming from a mix of MMO's and ARPG's, Eternal Lands really feels awesome to play. When you harvest ANYTHING, you have a very rare chance of getting valuable items (Various stones). I can't emphasis how important that is. Games with large grinds usually miss this and have very linear grinds where you need 100,000,000 iron to max out and when you mine iron, there is nothing else. I seriously like how the entire game is designed here. Where you create a fire essence and 0.1% chance or something it will be a enriched fire essence which is valuable. So while we are still grinding heavily, there is a layered carrot on a stick type vibe that really makes feel not so grindy.

-Not only that, but low level creatures drop valuable items that high level players want. Which creates early opportunity for new players.

-Then there is the environment... Literally every inch of the land feels handcrafted and not "generated". 

-Overall level makes it so I can work on any skill I want and still progress towards more pickpoints. 

-I mean, the game isn't perfect and there are some things I would like to see change but probably won't since its 16 years old. 

Such as:

1.) Movement speed. I know there are ways to increase it but I would like a more permanent way, like a permanent horse.

2.) More monster spawns in certain areas. Like whitestone, I have treked across a bunch of times and I can go far without seeing any monsters to kill.

3.) A more traditional cash shop without bartering with the GM and without items you find/make in-game.

4.) A bot system that doesn't require C++ knowledge, possibly an auction house.

If I were a billionaire looking to hire someone to make the next BIG sandbox game. I would put my money on a Eternal Lands 2 rather than a OSRS2 or any other sandbox. Eternal Lands, in my opinion, wins 100% at being the best sandbox MMORPG ever made. 

Edited by Raserei

You do not need to know c++ to run a bot, only if you are inclined so, you can use existing bots, and use el-services.net to have that server run one for you. (additionally some bots like Mercator (but not just him) are written in other languages.

The idea of having a different shop with a different type of items/prices for them. which would have Ingame an NPC where one could collect bought stuff was suggested a few times. Even a bot would do, and if Radu would wish he could get such a bot, that checks PayPal and reserves items from the buyers. But that shop site, and payment site has not changed in ages.

As an "old" player i must say its not the amount of spawns that i wish where more (so i would wish for some crowded areas like a snake pit or somthing now and the, but that the spawn times would be different. Most monsters have spawn times set up before Dailys got introduced. and people spend lots of time at some spawns trying to get most XP/values out of there. And the spawn times where a good way to control it.  These days its pretty much obsolete, since there are almost daily invasions, and instances that you can go in and kill good dropping creatures without waits.