Eternal Lands Official Forums
Raserei

Better pathfinding/Control

Hello I just started playing this game 2 days ago.

1.) Overall more polish to click actions. 

-If I click to attack a monster from afar, I should autowalk to the creature and start attacking, even if the monster moves.

-Looting a bag, sometimes the bag is in front of my character but if I click my actual character the button doesn't register through my character, so you must move the camera.

-If I click to talk to an NPC from afar, I should autowalk to the NPC and interact.

EDIT: I just found out today that there is a GET ALL button in your inventory. When you kill a monster, just press get all twice in your inventory and it auto opens the loot bag. So clicking isnt an issue anymore. BUT I still stand by the other suggestions. Attacking a monster from afar and interacting with NPCs and objects from afar. Would give it that ARPG vibe.

2.) Easier to click objects at high DPI.

-I run 1980x1020 resolution and the click area for stuff like plants is very small. Increasing the cursor size doesn't change the "hitbox". Possibly a way to make this slightly easier. Its more of an issue on things that have a very skinny model since you need to touch it to activate the gathering option.

Edited by Raserei
added #2

Welcome to the game then,

-If I click to attack a monster from afar, I should autowalk to the creature and start attacking, even if the monster moves.

This thing that i find also annoying at a lot of times,  that if you are to far away you stay still, is apparently there by design, if wanted it would not be a to hard thing to reverse the walking there instead standing still, the Auto attack  feature i would not want. since the System does not Differentiate between normal Creatures and players in a Player Kill map.

-Looting a bag, sometimes the bag is in front of my character but if I click my actual character the button doesn't register through my character, so you must move the camera.

besides the Get All Button that helps there a lot, there is also the Item Gatherer Medallion, which allows you to Autocollect the bags, without any other clicks. So this also is was a design choice.

Increasing the cursor size doesn't change the "hitbox".

If you use the Key Combination Alt+T you can turn on and off the close Targeting system. which will help you in cases you try to hunt smaller creatures in EL,  but allows you to have it of in strategic fights.

13 hours ago, Raserei said:

7 hours ago, vinoveritas said:

Welcome to the game then,

This thing that i find also annoying at a lot of times,  that if you are to far away you stay still, is apparently there by design, if wanted it would not be a to hard thing to reverse the walking there instead standing still, the Auto attack  feature i would not want. since the System does not Differentiate between normal Creatures and players in a Player Kill map

I remember radu saying he made this intentionally to avoid being abused by macroing or autoclicking.

In fact, Other Life (Learner's game) has it.

19 minutes ago, Kaddy said:

I remember radu saying he made this intentionally to avoid being abused by macroing or autoclicking.

In fact, Other Life (Learner's game) has it.

Other-Life implemented the autowalking enhancement in the server, but if the monster moves as you approach you may still need to click on it again.

QoL: When harvesting with excavator cape, have it so you can still harvest 1 more if you can hold it, right now you have to unequip your cape to get 1 more ore if you can hold it.

Also, a way to click or see monsters behind objects like trees would help the clicking issue as well. Maybe an option to turn on or off.

Edited by Raserei

some of the things you want will make the game/play too easy, el needs to be and is balanced nicely between easy and hard, personally i didnt like the addition of the 'click near creature' it took the skill out of hunting ws through the trees (tip: use the mini map to click so you dont keep clicking trees on main map)

With time you will acquire the skills to work around 'features'

I still think magical interference when mixing is put there to test the strength of your monitor /keyboard  :P

oh and i like i can leave the ex cape wanting more, i mostly have it set to be one or two under, just incase your last harv finds a rare item. (fail to keep it as you couldn't carry)

that magical interference with closing the window is annoying, i rather would like to see that the window at random times moves a few pixel in a random direction. if someone is macroing using autoclick or so on will tell the server and people will have be exposed same way, while people mixing fast a lot will see the difference and can adjust fast :)

(and yes thats why i think the autoclose of item_list was put in place to generate clicks that show someone is using autoclick.

Edited by vinoveritas

6 hours ago, caladina said:

oh and i like i can leave the ex cape wanting more, i mostly have it set to be one or two under, just incase your last harv finds a rare item. (fail to keep it as you couldn't carry)

This!  +1

i always thought auto walk should follow the pathways in game, ie walk along the twisty roads that way giving players not afk walking the quicker advantage :P

I myself like the path finding idea of a rolling ball that i have seen implemented in an University project long long time ago. They took a map, made walls (not walk able terrain) as something extremly high (in my example 10000,  walkable path at x-1 and grass etc at a x+0.

lets say you want to go from coord 50,50 to cordinate 100,100 in the diagonal thats 50 steps, so the tile you want to walk to gets height 0

every coordinate around 0 gets x+1 till the place where you stand gets 50 (not walkable pathes are 10000) special marked pathes gets hight now you let a ball run from the spot you are to the spot you want, it will follow the way of lowest x value in the surrounding.

and it would mean if there is a walking path on the way that is similar good to reach the place it will go follow that way until leaving it would be faster again