Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ozmondius

Suggestion to add sort/grouping for storage categories

I have to say these last couple of client updates are among some of my very favorite improvements!   I can't thank you enough.  The equipment swap is working perfectly and it's so lovely to have the unequipped item take the place of the equipped, it helps my OCD!  Along with resizing the client and internal windows, being able to use the keyboard for "unseen" spells and items, I'm in heaven.

One of the features that I've wanted for a very long time is the ability to categorize and/or alphabetize storage items within a category, e.g. have a menu option to categorize individual items by alphabetical order or by type or by both type and alphabetical order.  For instance in the Magic category, type would have all rings grouped together, all meds together, etc. and if you checked both the type and alpha boxes, Ring of Valley would be sorted after Ring of Idaloran, for example.

Thanks again!

Edited by Ozmondius

I love this idea.  I'd also like to toss out the idea (which very well may not be feasible) of being able to assign slots in storage for each item so that we can put our most used items where we'd like and they'd always stay there rather than having to fish around for where they may have gone.  Of course Ozzy's idea would help with this a lot, but I'm a creature of habit and organization and I like being able to instinctively navigate down to "2nd row, 2nd item from the left" and knowing that my SRM ring is going to be there.

i have noticed that when you order the categories to alphabetical the contents in those categories dont go alpha

Aislinn, you can put you fav items into a item list (off the inv box) that way you dont even need look through categories etc

@bluap

Is any of this possible? At the very least, sub-categorizing and/or alphabetizing within the current categories. :)

1 hour ago, Aislinn said:

@bluap

Is any of this possible? At the very least, sub-categorizing and/or alphabetizing within the current categories. :)

I think we could probably do the alphabetizing within a category just with some code changes.  Anything more complex would require additional "type" information along the lines we did for the extended item swap.  The alphabetizing probably gets most of the way to sub-categories so "Ring of .." etc would be grouped just by having sorted items in the current categories.  I did have a quick look when this first came up but I got distracted on other things.  I'll pick it up again.

I've added an option to sort items in a storage category alphabetically by description.  The option is located in the context menu of the storage window title bar; its off by default.  It will work best, like a lot of other stuff, if #item_uid is set to 1.  I'll do some new builds soon as there are a number of additional changes since the last build.

11 minutes ago, bluap said:

I've added an option to sort items in a storage category alphabetically by description.  The option is located in the context menu of the storage window title bar; its off by default.  It will work best, like a lot of other stuff, if #item_uid is set to 1.  I'll do some new builds soon as there are a number of additional changes since the last build.

Could you please clarify what "if #item_uid is set to 1" means?

I was unable to find a reference to it.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, ladrilho said:

Could you please clarify what "if #item_uid is set to 1" means?

I was unable to find a reference to it.

Thank you.

"#item_uid" is a #command (entered at the console prompt) that enables (1) or disables (0) the server sending unique identifiers for items.  Using the # command toggles the option and prints the current value to the console.  If disabled, the client has only the image identifier to identify one item from another.  As some items use the same image as others (books for example), the client cannot tell with item is which.  This means some item descriptions may not be determined by the client.  This effects the for example, the item descriptions you get when you place your mouse over an items.  It also effects the trade log, the item lists, the use counters, and now this sort function. Edit: the #item_uid value is saved by the server per character.

Edited by bluap

9 hours ago, Kaddy said:

Can we have a new executable files for those who are not geeks at all? :D

Yes, there's a fix to put in place related to the TTF changes but I'll do builds after that.

Hi bluap, thank you very much for giving this a try.

In Magic,  Misc., Clothes, Animal, Hazardous, and Weapons categories for example, this really doesn't work at all, due to inconsistent naming conventions.

Dragon scales, medallions, removal stones, indicators, some rings, horse whistles, fabrics, dyes, arrows, swords, capes, leather gear, tunics, hats, summon stones, feathers, tokens, dungs,   etc. don't group up. Other categories may have the same issue but I don't use those much or have enough in them to make a good analysis.

That is because there is no easy way to sort items in groups within a storage category. All you have to go on is the name (string sort).

Alternative would be to sort all items as you want them in an external list.

But even with a simple sort on name, you'll at least have items always in about the same position.

2 minutes ago, Kaddy said:

Rings are alltogether that's all I needed lol :D

They're not for me! :o

At the moment, Ring of Hydro and Ring of Valley of the Dwarves are not with the rest of them. 

Just now, Aislinn said:

At the moment, Ring of Hydro and Ring of Valley of the Dwarves are not with the rest of them. 

Well in my inventory, votd rings are together but Ring of Hydro shows just before Point Defense...

10 minutes ago, Aislinn said:

Do you have #item_uid set to 1?

23 minutes ago, bluap said:

Do you have #item_uid set to 1?

Yes.  Well at least I think so because when I typed #item_uid it went to 0, so I typed it again and it went to 1.  I was under the impression whenever I type that, it toggles it to 0 or 1, not just prints out what it is currently.

Edit:  I don't know how to see what it's set to without toggling it to the opposite of what it was set to (if what I said above is the correct way it happens).

OK, well its an alphabetic sort on the item descriptions.  The one you get when hovering your mouse over the item, not the one from the server you get by right-clicking; though they should be the same.  I'll take a look later.

The "Ring of Hydro" has the wrong image_id in the item_info.txt file, the value should be 692 not 160.  With this change you get a description when you hover the mouse and the ring is sorted correctly.

<     1167 |      692 |      1 | Ring of Hydro
---
>     1167 |      160 |      1 | Ring of Hydro

There were some bugs with the sort code with several edge cases involving items without descriptions.  There was also a bug that could cause the dragged item to change when using the trade window and the intended item reaches a quantity of zero in storage.  All fixed now and all the build have been updated.

Edited by bluap