Eternal Lands Official Forums
Rashcaw

Better Indications that Book has Already Been Read

I didn't see anything on this topic while searching.

Has it been mentioned and what are your thoughts on being able to get an indication that you have already read a particular book or that the book needs a pre-req by hovering over a book in your inventory or storage?  I know that the hovering already shows the amount in  the current stack, but can the word Read or PreReq Needed or some kind of indicator be added as well?

If this cannot be done, can we implement the use of the "Eye" to easily see if a book has been read, instead of having to actually try to read the book or look in your knowledge list to see if you have read it?  I feel like Reading Books is already agonizing in itself (my opinion) so it should be easier to see if and what has already been read.

Another option is to maybe create an actual Knowledge Tree showing what has been completed or not that can be viewed to help categorize the knowledge so it can be more easily viewed and look nicer than just a list of every book, (currently not in alphabetical order or by skill)

Thank You,

(Cassius)

I like this suggestion. 

Maybe when you go to buy a book, if you already know it, you get a popup confirmation message. OR when you inspect the book, it says you have it learned already.

well  just so you know with #know (part of booktitle) you can get all the books that you already know that has the letter combination in it.

second The game is was first designed and put up at a time where one did take a lot of care about the payload you transfer between client and server. We could probably create a way to get the information in the client and have it there somewhere in local memory all the time so that in the rare situation that someone looks at his books will find out if they have read the book they have in storage, but we have Books that you can read multiple times with benefits and books that you can read one time. People are buying books for themselves, secondary characters they are playing or for friends all the time.

So while i would love to have a knowledge tree that shows which books you need to have for what. the way the server client system is set up i do not see that this will happen.

:) well you can do my solution

You have read 397 of 397 matching books

Since i have read all the books i do know that all books i own are useless for me unless i sell them

The data that drives the knowledge window has the information about whether you have read the book or not.  However, the book names used in the knowledge list do not match the name of the item (as shown the in inventory and storage).  For example, I have "Titanium Chainmail Torso Construction" in my storage, but the knowledge list calls this book "Titanium Chainmail Torso".  These miss-matches are a mix of spelling typos, abbreviations, and alternative wording.  I'll have a look at tidying this up to make it more consistent.  We can perhaps them show if you've read a book in the text shown when hovering over a book.

I think we could also improve the knowledge window a bit too.  I'd like to have a simple type-text-to-filter-books-shown function for example.

Edited by bluap
Edited after doing more research

Bluap is it possible  to make it so players could choose to highlight individual storage items a selection of colours so they can make thier own groups up, ie highlight red around all the vegetal flowers and another colour for mixture of power, or same with quest books for gerund etc.

addition to that would be like the book filter that dims out those not in the filter text, ie: red would dim all those colours not red

this would be a nice way for a quick check on storage stuff.

yes i'm aware you can put 1 each of the flowers / books into a item list and name it vegetal collection/quest books too.

just thinking aloud, as always

8 hours ago, caladina said:

Bluap is it possible  to make it so players could choose to highlight individual storage items a selection of colours so they can make thier own groups up, ie highlight red around all the vegetal flowers and another colour for mixture of power, or same with quest books for gerund etc.

addition to that would be like the book filter that dims out those not in the filter text, ie: red would dim all those colours not red

this would be a nice way for a quick check on storage stuff.

yes i'm aware you can put 1 each of the flowers / books into a item list and name it vegetal collection/quest books too.

just thinking aloud, as always

That sounds quite hard and, as you mentioned, sort of doable with the item lists.  Perhaps you should add this idea to the thread about storage categories.

I've added a " (read)" or " (unread)" tag to the description text you get when you hover the mouse over items that are books.  You'll need a client built from latest source and an additional data file that provides the item to book mapping.  I'll publish some new client builds tomorrow.