Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vinoveritas

Server Hacked.

I want to inform you that the Server running Mercator was hacked today around Midnight my time. While all indicators of my checks do make me believe that the attacker while getting access to one of the server user accounts did not manage to get admin rights, there are a 2 lines in log files that  i expected to see which are missing. So as a precaution meassure i am setting up the server with a new System and hardening it. before i let Mercator and its services be run again. the Server containing el-services was not affected.

Just as a note on the side, there is no indication that any database of the server was Hacked. anyway all passwords etc are stored enrypted on the server

To Clarify, it was a User Account on the Server, not the program named Mercator (which is in el the bot) that got hacked, and all my analyses i did do while i am backing up everything for a secure fresh install and setup. indicates, that the hacking of the User account was done in trying to use its resources for further hacking of other systems. Besides a few lines missing that i would expected to see all Indicators are that the hacker did not steal anything or searched for anything. No log files from Mercator except the one of the one that Mercator writes in for example where touched by anyone. I do expect mercator to be up and running again some time on Monday latest

Edited by vinoveritas